News and Blog Report: That moment when Spector turns full homer

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-leaving-flames-behind-battle-alberta/

After years of harsh (but warranted) criticism, Spector pens this piece about the Oilers turning the rivalry on its head. Perhaps fittingly, Spector himself seems to have turned the page.

I think it proves that he doesn't have a bias for one team. The brutal honesty was just difficult to hear at times. This team gave him very little to speak positive about.

(it helps that he loves old-school physical hockey)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Again? He did that a couple years ago too. Fair weather commentary by Spec?

Anyways, that might sound critical of him, but I've always been a fan.

And what Stoneman just said as well.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Disagree with assertion of him turning into a homer. He's always been one, otherwise he would not have been so invested in the team to offer the honest criticism of the past. Just that he can now write some nice and positive things about them. They've earned it this year.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I often found his criticisms petty and poorly thought out, even if the team was bad. That said, happy to see him give credit where it's due. That was a fun read.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Happy with the win, but Spector's an idiot. He gets way too high when he's high and way too low when he's low.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Im glad someone had the balls to write how bad this team was and has been in the past.

Now that we are good, he is giving praise, dont think there is anything wrong with that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Im glad someone had the balls to write how bad this team was and has been in the past.

Now that we are good, he is giving praise, dont think there is anything wrong with that.

The praise is a bit over the top though, have some professionalism IMO. If he was writing for an Oilers fan site, ok, but he writes for Sportsnet.

Hrudey is also ridiculously biased.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
He says the Flames won't catch the Oilers this season. That's a bit extreme. They still mathematicall could (Although I don't see it happening).

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The praise is a bit over the top though, have some professionalism IMO. If he was writing for an Oilers fan site, ok, but he writes for Sportsnet.

Hrudey is also ridiculously biased.

Maybe its a little much but we just swept a provincial rival in the regular season for the first time in how long? That is big news IMO.

We also have a better core going forward. We have one of the best players in the game.

He has to give praise after the talk hes talked about the team the last few years.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
Sorry guys one positive piece does not forgive all the things he has said. I don't mind him criticising the Oilers, we all know much of it was warranted over the years. What I can't look past is the negative stuff he has written about the city itself. He's lined up with the rabble in bashing the city on many occasions. There is no call for that. The NHL is played in many fine cities and each one has its charms. Shure bash the team if it makes you feel important but bashing the city is uncalled for.

It's fine if Spector hates Edmonton the people of Edmonton and even the Oilers but keep your writing to the latter. Anything else is unprofessional.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Maybe its a little much but we just swept a provincial rival in the regular season for the first time in how long? That is big news IMO.

We also have a better core going forward. We have one of the best players in the game.

He has to give praise after the talk hes talked about the team the last few years.

Ever

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
On the topic of Spector, I'm so happy that Larsson plays a hard nosed style of game. If he didn't, I'm sure every mistake he made would have been a topic of Spector's in the intermission show and articles, just like when he was doing all he could to run Petry out of town.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I'm glad too. The media in this city let this organization get away with too much for too long. They should have been openly calling for Lowe's removal from hockey ops years before it happened. It was refreshing to have the one or two voices that told the truth. Maybe if we had more we wouldn't have had to watch ten years of garbage.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sorry guys one positive piece does not forgive all the things he has said. I don't mind him criticising the Oilers, we all know much of it was warranted over the years. What I can't look past is the negative stuff he has written about the city itself. He's lined up with the rabble in bashing the city on many occasions. There is no call for that. The NHL is played in many fine cities and each one has its charms. Shure bash the team if it makes you feel important but bashing the city is uncalled for.

It's fine if Spector hates Edmonton the people of Edmonton and even the Oilers but keep your writing to the latter. Anything else is unprofessional.

I don't recall him bashing the city. I thought he was a sports writer. Do you have any links?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I've never liked Spector too much. He would call in to Toronto shows and just pander to the crapped out rebuild story. It's not that he wasn't right....it's that he doesn't need to chuckle and pretend like their aren't legitimate reasons why that decade of garbage happened.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I often found his criticisms petty and poorly thought out, even if the team was bad. That said, happy to see him give credit where it's due. That was a fun read.

I think you are describing FlamesNation over the past 6 years.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Spector is friends with Chiarelli. You can see it in his writing.

I haven't ever seen him really criticize Chiarelli in any way. Defended him on a lot of things.

Also gets direct quotes from him like on the Kris Russell/Analytics article.

Not sure if that's the best thing for a media member (bias and all) but helps his career no doubt. He's not wrong that the Oil dominated the Flames.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I'm not much of a Spector hater as I don't mind my teams getting criticized, especially during a decade of suck. He plays both sides, sure, but more so than not, he does seem like an Oiler fan lol.

For years, he enjoyed getting into twitter wars against Flames and Canucks fans.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
I don't recall him bashing the city. I thought he was a sports writer. Do you have any links?

Nope. Why would I keep that stuff? In the age of the internet, I'm sure you can find it yourself as easily as I could. I'm also pretty sure I'm not the only one that remembers it.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm really not used to hockey's mainstream media saying nice things about the Oilers.

If you ask me it's amazing how Calgary started off with some problems, we've swept them and they're still in a solid position to grab that wildcard spot.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Can you imagine if we ended up playing Calgary in the first round? Holy cow would that be heavy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad