Post-Game Talk: That hit by Wilson on Zadorov was clean: Isles at Caps 7:07PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Btw, Jay Beagle. What a player. He's making Caps better on any line.

Maybe we will see 25-83-43 and 90-92-14 at some point if Bura can't handle it.

The thing is that 19-92-90 C depth is a bit eurotrashy. Weak and soft. Beagle helps to solidify that tremendously. I'm expecting him to be 3C at some point rather soon.

Maybe it's 25-83-90 though (if Bura's scoring which isn't happening lately).

PS: Also, the long proposed 8-90-43 line (by me) should be good. I still think it. Mojo learned to work with Ovie. Dare I say they're looking better than 8-19 combo. Maybe it's just Ovie with better effort.

The question, though, is: Is Beagle a better Center than MoJo is a RW? There might be some sense in moving Mojo back to 2L if Bura doesn't find his groove again, but I'm less convinced by Marcus as a regular RW. Beagle, on the other hand, makes a fine RW in a team that still probably only has three natural RWers (remember before Beagle got injured, Bura spent many games at 4R). I think you're more likely to see a mix of 25-90-83 and 90-92-14 mid-game than either of those lines become permanent again (barring injury). And I still want to see 65-90-X, or even 8-90-65, before the season's done.

Also, has Kuzy or Backstrom ever played wing, and are they any good at it?

Regardless, does everyone agree that 8-X-77 seems to be a stronger link than 8-19-X?

Edit: or maybe it's worth revisiting:

8-92-77
90-19-14
25-83-65
26-10-43

? The 90-19-14 line worked for a stretch, the 8-19-77 and 65-19-14 lines haven't so much.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Posted this in the Roster Building thread, but thought it could go here as well. I wanted to see if the stats backed up what I was seeing, and what I thought I was seeing was a team that turned their game on following the Pittsburgh spanking and wasn't getting the results they earned over the past 8 games.

Going back to the Flyers loss, the Caps have hit 9 or 10 posts in 4 games. Their shooting percentage since the Pittsburgh waxing has been very low at 4.2% (their shooting % for the season is 8.2%). During that stretch they have owned ES possession (55.5 CF%, and that's including a 46.0 game vs Ottawa) and ES scoring chances (56.2 SCF%). Their PDO has also been very low at 97.3.

If you are a person who trusts the process and trusts that the results will come if they play "the right way," you should feel good knowing it looks like the Caps have turned their game around and have been very unlucky down this stretch. In my opinion, this team is turning it on and the goals are going to come.

Also, Draymond Green said the Warriors are bored and want the regular season to end. Thought it was just the Caps?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Posted this in the Roster Building thread, but thought it could go here as well. I wanted to see if the stats backed up what I was seeing, and what I thought I was seeing was a team that turned their game on following the Pittsburgh spanking and wasn't getting the results they earned over the past 8 games.

Going back to the Flyers loss, the Caps have hit 9 or 10 posts in 4 games. Their shooting percentage since the Pittsburgh waxing has been very low at 4.2% (their shooting % for the season is 8.2%). During that stretch they have owned ES possession (55.5 CF%, and that's including a 46.0 game vs Ottawa) and ES scoring chances (56.2 SCF%). Their PDO has also been very low at 97.3.

If you are a person who trusts the process and trusts that the results will come if they play "the right way," you should feel good knowing it looks like the Caps have turned their game around and have been very unlucky down this stretch. In my opinion, this team is turning it on and the goals are going to come.

Also, Draymond Green said the Warriors are bored and want the regular season to end. Thought it was just the Caps?

Good post, I agree with your assessment. The Capitals are playing just fine, but their shooting luck has been horrendous recently. Shooting percentage can be highly variable and generally is completely random. This is good news because their shooting percentage should improve rather quickly. If they keep up the solid possession and Holtby plays well, this team will go far.

The only thing that worries me right now is Backstrom. It's weird seeing how much better 8 and 77 are away from his than with him this season. Even 90 in his limited time there seems to be a better fit. Other than that, my only real concern is that Trotz is sticking with Orlov and Orpik rather than going 44-74 and 9-88. I think that optimizes the pairings IMO. Give 9-88 the easiest minutes.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They took their foot off the gas when up by 2 goals. It was obvious. On one play a single Isles forechecker was essentially gifted the puck by 3 Caps gliding around. I'm sure they'll be reminded before the playoffs that they can't do that.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Other than that, my only real concern is that Trotz is sticking with Orlov and Orpik rather than going 44-74 and 9-88. I think that optimizes the pairings IMO. Give 9-88 the easiest minutes.

What happened, man?! You're letting us down.

OVs Gold Chain*

Burakovsky was brutal on the powerplay. So many turnovers.

Honestly though this game was Holtby's to win and he didn't get it done. Lesson learned, great matchup on Thursday to establish more confidence heading into the playoffs.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Orlov has been struggling and Orpik has been playing well. I'm open to changing my opinion when the facts don't support my old opinion.

Well said and a refreshingly reasonable stance around here.

Orlov has been brutal. Wouldn't mind sitting him for Chorney and see how 4-44/88 looks. Chorney did play for the Pens in last year's playoffs so he has some experience. Maybe Orlov is running out of steam, which would be understandable given he missed all of last season.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He had about 60 last year. 59 I think.

So he's getting less with 8-19 and prime PP time.

He's underachieving so far.

He has 26 goals this season, by far a career high. Oshie only got more than 20 goals once with the Blues. He had 55 pts last year, 50 ish isn't too far off.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
I'm genuinely worried about this teams chances come playoffs

Mainly just cause past choking but also the Pens are just destroying everyone

Although everything changes comes playoff time but we have been off since the snow storm

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Although everything changes comes playoff time but we have been off since the snow storm

Of course they could fall flat in the playoffs, but it should be somewhat comforting to know there's a legitimate break in the season that we can point to as the spot where they lost intensity.

There's no mystery ailment that needs to be figured out. For the most part we're not scratching our heads and putting forth theories about what's wrong with this guy, is the system good enough, does the coach know what he's doing at all, etc. It's the same team with a few new faces/upgrades.

It's the "just enough" disease Trotz talked about last year, but has been tolerating due to their success in the standings. I believe his tolerance is probably at an end, especially given the way this game ended and which team is up next.

I've been banging the "wait for the playoffs" drum for a while now, but if they don't show up banging 100% vs the Pens tomorrow then I drop their chances of flipping the switch in the first round to coin-flip.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He has 26 goals this season, by far a career high. Oshie only got more than 20 goals once with the Blues. He had 55 pts last year, 50 ish isn't too far off.

Oshie has thrived in the same powerplay role that turned Troy Brouwer into a 25 goal scorer. His even-strength production has been pretty underwhelming.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

that was the same point when we only had like 1 game every 2 weeks or something crazy, then the ASG.

after that it was a game every other night i believe for a while, of course that is a huge reason they got out of sync imo.

but i stated last night, the caps looked over confident offensively, and too relaxed defensively.. almost too cocky, didn't respect their opponent.

we're going to be fine, everyone is just concerned because we are caps fans.. we can't change it anyway.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
PIT, STL & ANA will all be playing for better playoff positioning so, ergo, they'll be executing at a more urgent higher level most likely.

I don't think a lack of mental engagement is an easily correctable issue. The applied impacts of that issue bleed into every single area of their game (with the possible exception of the PK due to the personnel involved). I guess you could also say that Orlov is the weak link defensively also and if they're only about avoiding the big mistake then he should be sat. The problem is: who wins trying to play mistake-free? Great teams progressively make better and better decisions while getting into an absorbed zone and that's where this team IMO is nowhere close to being a threat. It begins and ends between the ears and this team still doesn't appear to have it.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Pittsburgh is hotter than they are good. I just don't fear the Pens. Maybe I'm wrong.

Beating them to get out of the East would be just lovely.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
PIT, STL & ANA will all be playing for better playoff positioning so, ergo, they'll be executing at a more urgent higher level most likely.

I don't think a lack of mental engagement is an easily correctable issue. The applied impacts of that issue bleed into every single area of their game (with the possible exception of the PK due to the personnel involved). I guess you could also say that Orlov is the weak link defensively also and if they're only about avoiding the big mistake then he should be sat. The problem is: who wins trying to play mistake-free? Great teams progressively make better and better decisions while getting into an absorbed zone and that's where this team IMO is nowhere close to being a threat. It begins and ends between the ears and this team still doesn't appear to have it.

To be fair, they've shown flashes of being locked-in the last couple of weeks. It's not like they're tripping over their own *****.

I think every team will see an adjustment in Game 1.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Oshie has thrived in the same powerplay role that turned Troy Brouwer into a 25 goal scorer. His even-strength production has been pretty underwhelming.

Oshie had terrible luck in the middle of the season, getting robbed by goaltenders on a regular basis. He easily surpassed Brouwer's career high 43 pts, and he's a much better fit on the top line.
Oshie was on pace for over 30 goals in the first half of the season, he fell off the pace because of luck and 8-19 not clicking together at ES.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
To be fair, they've shown flashes of being locked-in the last couple of weeks. It's not like they're tripping over their own *****.

I think every team will see an adjustment in Game 1.
They've tightened up their first period play and for that they deserve credit given how awful it was for quite a while. I don't think they've been that great offensively to where they're just bounces away from being on. They have hit many posts but it's still been typical easy type shots mostly rather than really digging deep and consistently going to dirty areas.

It's mainly the areas where they haven't consistently been great that I wonder will improve enough. I doubt it will be enough to just be consistently good in every area. I'm not sure they generate high quality chances easily enough. I don't really know what their offensive identity is. They're not a rush team thanks to tactics yet they're not really a sustained attack team either. They're an uneven defend and hope their skill prevails type team yet they probably need to be a bit deeper for that to really work.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They've tightened up their first period play and for that they deserve credit given how awful it was for quite a while. I don't think they've been that great offensively to where they're just bounces away from being on. They have hit many posts but it's still been typical easy type shots mostly rather than really digging deep and consistently going to dirty areas.

It's mainly the areas where they haven't consistently been great that I wonder will improve enough. I doubt it will be enough to just be consistently good in every area. I'm not sure they generate high quality chances easily enough. I don't really know what their offensive identity is. They're not a rush team thanks to tactics yet they're not really a sustained attack team either. They're an uneven defend and hope their skill prevails type team yet they probably need to be a bit deeper for that to really work.

So then what do you attribute their recent run of owning ES play to? Luck?

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Hank isn't.
Touche.

I'm really interested to see how the Pens carry over to the playoffs. I'm not buying it...but I am blinded by hatred when it comes to that team and the players on it. Im hoping Malkin returning screws up the chemistry in round two....if they make it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So then what do you attribute their recent run of owning ES play to? Luck?
Colorado is such an outlier of terrible possession that they skew things a bit just by themselves. I'd say they're largely tightening up defensively thanks to better starts and that's why possession has improved. But they haven't been able to easily generate enough high quality chances in danger areas IMO and have been prone to The Bad Shift at key times defending in those dirty areas that have kept games tight that otherwise shouldn't have been.

I don't think NYR is physical enough to do what's needed to take out Pittsburgh at this point. Hank will have to be phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad