Post-Game Talk: That hit by Wilson on Zadorov was clean: Isles at Caps 7:07PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
the chances of winning the cup are not good, don't get excited.

however, this team is the best chance the caps have had to win one.

it's not in our control, and don't forget we have a special vet in the room with Justin Williams who will make a difference this time around.

I expect a fully confident, refocused, and determined caps in the playoffs.

everyone breath, it's going to be ok. This team IS different.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't post very often, but I must confess I am a little confused as to what the argument/question here is. Are we trying to say:

A.) The Capitals aren't very good - I would probably disagree with this, or at least say this argument is based on a fictional standard (i.e not how the rest of the league is actually performing). Yes, there are threats in the East. If Tampa can survive a round or two and get healthier, they are dangerous. Lundqvist can make any series interesting. Philly is hot and cold. Pittsburgh is on a legitimate tear. The Capitals are 10-5-2 against those teams. They look even better if you add in Boston and Detroit (albeit slightly worse if you add in FL). They also have the best record in the league and the best goal differential. I also think they played reasonably well in the "biggest" two games they have played recently (Philly and NYI). There are concerns, but of course there are - it's the NHL playoffs in the salary cap era. I also get that a "pretty good team" seems like a disappointment compared to the "juggernaut" rating a lot were ascribing earlier in the year - but I don't necessarily see how this adds up to the Caps being a bad team.

B.) Winning the Stanley Cup is hard - Of course it is. Things are not going to be easy for them. It's not easy for any team winning the Stanley Cup. I know it would be easier on the hearts to see a 2012 Kings style victory - but the majority of SC victories in this era have been 2011-Bruins style.

C.) The Capitals won't be able to adapt/improve come playoff time - I guess I would ask what you mean by adapt/improve. I don't think there's an offensive switch that they can flip to score 4 goals a game (which again I think is based on a false premise that this is something that teams are doing). I trust Holtby to be sharp and the mental mistakes (think goals 1 & 2 last night) to be limited - but I get that there's no guarantee. I also think that the 7 game format favors them in some respects. If it's Philly - I would bet they bring their heavy game and consistently target Ghost (among others). Ditto Letang for Pittsburgh. So in conclusion - while I don't buy the idea that they are magically going to switch on juggernaut mode - I do think there are things they will do to be more effective when the prize is on the line.

D.) Waiting for the Playoffs as a Capitals fan who is conditioned to expect the worst, but is afraid some ray of hope is getting through due to the team's success this year, is excruciating - Agreed.

End long post.

A. A few fringe unibomber types are suggesting this. ;). They're about as accomplished as any regular season team can be.

B. All series IMO will be as tight as ever.

C. This is the billion dollar question. Sure they'll raise their game, just like every other team will. Will they be able to be effective and overcome adversity when the series is on the line? That's what has those of who don't really believe in the "flip the switch" joke concerned. Consistency matters.

D. That goes without saying. Ask Cubs fans.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
This team is no different than it's predecessors. They will break your heart.

If it's Philly in the first round, we lose. Maybe I'm just jaded after decades of disappointment but I don't like the way they are playing at the moment.

I strongly disagree.

I'd be surprised to see Philly go beyond 6. They aren't very good.

I understand the once bitten twice shy attitude, and get that it's more like a hundred times bitten, a thousand times shy at this point, but this team is different under Trotz than it was under Oates (lol), Hunter, or Boudreau.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
a team can go 82-0 and it doesnt guarantee anything. The real question is would you be as excited about the playoffs if they were a 4-8 seed. High standings finish come with expectations but atleast you get to enjoy those expectations. Based on the regular season even if they went 7 games every series they should win. Obviously there are injuries, bad officiating and really dumb luck that come into play.

Heart says be cautious as the playoffs are a crapshoot. Brain says other then the pens (even then I dont buy how they are playing, unsustainable) no series against an east team should go longer then 5 or 6. Tampa is beat up, New york is beat up, Florida is a bunch of kids without any playoff experience. My real fear would start if they got to the finals and play against really good teams. I dont think chi will be there but if its ana or la thats going to be a tough series.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Having 20% odds of winning the Cup heading into the playoffs would make you a significant favorite of winning the Cup when compared to every other individual team. However, you'd still fail to win the Cup 4/5 times. When picking "a team" or "the field," the field is always going to have a massive advantage.

This Capitals team may be that team. They may be the favorite. But the odds are still stacked against them.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
In fairness, failure is the overwhelming likelihood. Only one team makes it all the way through the gauntlet each season and it's an incredibly difficult endeavor. What I'm looking for mostly are signs or at least glimpses of killer instinct. It's tough to make yourself urgent in a situation where that motivation has to come from within for reasons that aren't necessarily readily apparent for immediacy's sake. They don't absolutely have to play with urgency down the stretch but there are a lot of reasons why they should more regularly be in the habit of doing so. It's about finding a consistent groove at will so there's less of an abrupt change in mentality once the playoffs finally (thankfully) roll around. It's about being able to dig deeper when or if they do make The Big Mistake so that they're able to play through it. If they can only react to pressure situations as they arise instead of more fully preparing for them they're much more likely to be disorganized and get outperformed. It seems they're mainly prepared only from a basic defensive systematic level when they still need to demonstrate an ability to pick up the pace.

Trotz has proven to be a very successful regular season coach and a sound defensive coach but there's much more to achieving the high level two-way balance of elite playoff performers. I don't think those skills have been honed very well once again down the stretch and overall in Trotz's career it's seemed to be an elusive balance to find. Time will tell if Holtby and their defensive play can carry them nonetheless but the killer instinct question and the question of overall two-way polish very much lingers.

It's not that I don't have hope for them. Every opportunity has within it the possibility of success. I just don't find them to have refined their play much and it's disappointing. They're hoping to get back to their best play of earlier in the season when a team's game is constantly shifting and in large part determined by the quality of their opposition. Part of having a killer instinct is a craftsmanship that more readily allows for higher impact all-around play whereas they seem content to believe they'll just get-r-done through self-belief and sheer will rather than primed execution and a refined skill set.

Of course you're right about the odds. I should never talk statistics or probabilities, even in casual terms. I'm an idiot about that stuff. :laugh:

I guess we just disagree about the stretch. To me, it's more important to stay healthy. Treat the games as practice/teaching moments/whatever. The honing thing to me isn't very real.

As for Trotz, it's true about his record, but in fairness, he's had a team that could be considered a possible contender maybe once--last year. Nashville never had much offensive talent to work with.

I'm glad you have hope. But I don't think what they are doing is just self-belief and sheer will. I think there's another variable and that's purpose. They have had one goal all year and they achieved the first piece of it in January, basically. I guess we'll see.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm glad you have hope. But I don't think what they are doing is just self-belief and sheer will. I think there's another variable and that's purpose. They have had one goal all year and they achieved the first piece of it in January, basically. I guess we'll see.
My issue is that they haven't demonstrably been working on maximizing their skill set or refining their habits so that their ultimate goal is more achievable. Truly purpose-driven teams approach their goals in that manner yet we're to believe that coasting towards the President's Trophy and their established best ought to be adequate. It leaves more to chance and unnecessary inaction than I would think really dedicated organizations would like.

There are always areas that can be improved. Even within the framework of goal-directed behavior they can't be let off the hook for basically taking it easy the second half of the season. Teams that are truly motivated in positioning themselves the best they possibly can for a competition don't prepare this way. In turn they'll be better prepared to execute under pressure. They may still have enough in the tank and the raw ability to prevail but it's not a dynamic likely to finally lead to reaching their biggest goal. Part of it is perhaps personnel. Ovechkin is not truly a student of the game in every sense. You can question Backstrom's drive and perhaps their health. But it's more likely to me that the most honest, driven and self-critical team able to learn and absorb that feedback in action will find itself on stronger ground ultimately.

Their goal is the same that everyone else has and it seems naive to think their best is better just because of who they are, some of their experience and their willingness to put it all on the line.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
My issue is that they haven't demonstrably been working on maximizing their skill set or refining their habits so that their ultimate goal is more achievable. Truly purpose-driven teams approach their goals in that manner yet we're to believe that coasting towards the President's Trophy and their established best ought to be adequate. It leaves more to chance and unnecessary inaction than I would think really dedicated organizations would like.

There are always areas that can be improved. Even within the framework of goal-directed behavior they can't be let off the hook for basically taking it easy the second half of the season. Teams that are truly motivated in positioning themselves the best they possibly can for a competition don't prepare this way. In turn they'll be better prepared to execute under pressure. They may still have enough in the tank and the raw ability to prevail but it's not a dynamic likely to finally lead to reaching their biggest goal. Part of it is perhaps personnel. Ovechkin is not truly a student of the game in every sense. You can question Backstrom's drive and perhaps their health. But it's more likely to me that the most honest, driven and self-critical team able to learn and absorb that feedback in action will find itself on stronger ground ultimately.

Their goal is the same that everyone else has and it seems naive to think their best is better just because of who they are, some of their experience and their willingness to put it all on the line.

And this is where we land. I just don't read as much as you do into their performance the latter half and I don't have a problem with them admitting they're bored with the games. What they are doing to prepare, in my mind, could be entirely out of our view. As for your last comment, I don't feel that way, and I don't get the impression they do either. Again, we'll see pretty soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad