Thank you Pittsburgh, from Canada!!

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
After the terrorist attack on our parliament , U brought tears to my eyes with the singing of Oh Canada. Nice touch.

Wonder if Mario had a hand in this?

Thank u so much. We stand together.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well a lot, if not most of the guys on each team are from Canada, it was in respect to the neighbors up North that were going through something tough, I think Canadian teams have done something out of respect in the past as well, right? I recall something just can't remember.

Sad to hear about Cpl Cirillo though.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Well, on 911, of course the hockey season hadn't started. There were some things done on Remembrance Day (November 11, it's like Memorial Day).

I remember Londoners singing Star-Spangled Banner outside Buckingham Palace. That was moving.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
As a Flyers fan in Montreal, I was really blown away by the Penguins org's conscientiousness in the face of this incident. The word "class" is overused here, and goodness knows our two fanbases accuse each other of a lack, but that was majorly classy to show solidarity between our two countries.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Class Act

What a fantastic CLASS ACT... Seriously Pittsburgh Organisation just blown my away.

I rarely get emotionnal for these things but this time you got me as well. I too had tears in my eyes

From a Habs Fan in the Ottawa area, THANK YOU Pittsburgh, you ROCK!!!! :yo::yo::yo:

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
Very classy, awesome to see. I think I can speak for all Canadians when I say thank you!

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Agreed. Thank you guys. As a long time Canadian Pens fan, that got me right in the feels.

I loved visiting Pittsburgh. You guys always reminded me of a small friendly Canadian city like Halifax and it felt like home. You guys rock.

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
I was at the game last night and sang my heart out.

I hope that Canada can heal quickly for this tragedy.

**Besides after our Anthem I really dig the Canadian Anthem it's a beautiful song.

Michael8771*

It was a nice gesture by the team and JJ did a great rendition. Clearly the highlight of the night.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Canadian Flyer fan just wanted to pass my thanks on to the Pens organization and it's fans.

Sometimes hockey isn't so important. Cheers.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
I was incredibly moved watching the singing of O Canada last night right before the game. It's in times like this that Canadians are reminded that our neighbours to the south are our friends in time of need. Very classy of the Pens of the organization to do this. I was really impressed (and happy to be a supporter of the Pens).

Does anyone know if any other forms of acknowledgment were done at the other games last night?

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Canadians would have done the same if the situation were reversed. I'm confident of that.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
I wanted to stop in and say thanks as well. Very classy. Thanks to Anaheim as well for their tweet and moment of silence before their game last night too.

A couple of small, but very meaningful and appreciated gestures. :)

sensR4real

Apr 19, 2006
Ottawa
Felt I had to come on here and thank you for singing our national anthem last night. We are brothers and I can tell you, everyone in our house felt really good watching your pre-game randition. Huge thank you!! All Class Pittsburgh.:handclap:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Just heard they did this (missed the start of the game and watched at a bar due to the crappy center ice pkg).

Glad to see they did this.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I was incredibly moved watching the singing of O Canada last night right before the game. It's in times like this that Canadians are reminded that our neighbours to the south are our friends in time of need. Very classy of the Pens of the organization to do this. I was really impressed (and happy to be a supporter of the Pens).

Does anyone know if any other forms of acknowledgment were done at the other games last night?

Yes. Anaheim had a moment of silence. I'm tearing up just reading those posts

Last edited:

ByeByeBylsma*

Thanking you for standing guard with us. Yesterday was a harrowing day here in Ottawa. I don't doubt the Flyers would have done the same thing.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
At the bar I watched it at, everyone there for the start of the game was a hockey fan, and everyone got quiet and stood up for O Canada. It was actually moving. It will go down as one of my prouder moments as a Pens fan. All the respect, support, and well wishes to our neighbors to the north...

enixer

Mar 26, 2011
Cheers to Pittsburgh and the fans in the building last night. The respect shown our anthem was very much appreciated, not just by me but I'm sure by the Canadian players on both the Penguins and the Flyers. I'd like to think we'd show the same respect here to your anthem and to Kessel, JVR, Gardiner, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad