Thank You: Brad Richards (Announced His Retirement Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He had a great career and yes some rough moments in NY, but Broadway Brad/Beaver had some really memorable moments as well. Feel free to add anything and everything:

-Winter Classic 2012 GWG
-Assist on Gaborik's OT goal game 3 ECSF 2012 vs. Washington
-Series winner vs. Pittsburgh Game 7 ECSF 2014
-1st Career Hat Trick vs. Buffalo April 2013
-Game 5 Goal vs. Washington 2012
-Was part of 1 Division Winner and 1 Conference Championship

I'll always also remember when that doofus Kaletta threw him into the boards during that awful 2013 season.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Not to mention he was involved in that sweet MSL OT goal against Montreal. Probably my favorite Rangers memory after Stepan against the Caps

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Decent career that saw 3 SCF appearances and two cups as well as several personal accolades and awards as well. Barley average as a Ranger. Enjoy all your millions in retirement.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Richards would be entering the 6th season of his 9 year contract with the Rangers.

Richards would not have retired but the Rangers would have the $6,666,667 cap hit on their books.

Maybe he would have retired next summer when the salaries dropped to $1M per.

Cap recapture.

The Rangers set him up with the nice retirement package. He still gets the signing bonus money from the original 2011 contract and the buyout money. Richards got a $4M bonus check this month from the Rangers. He gets $5M as part of the buyout this season. $9M.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brad-richards

KreiderHouseRules*

Will never forget Brad Richards' clutch tying goal with 6.6 seconds left to force OT where Staal blasted home the game winner.

We were 6.6 seconds away from being down 3 games to 2 in the series and on the brink of elimination. Brad Richards and Marc Staal changed that.

I remember it clear as day:

Rangers get a 4min powerplay from Ward sticking Hagelin in the face and making him bleed, leading to...

Faceoff win to Cally who shoots it, deflects to the corner; Gaborik recovers it back to Girardi over to Del Zotto who shuffles it down to Cally who throws it towards the net. It gets blocked a couple times, Cally does a great job to stay with it getting a few whacks to keep the puck in a danger area for the Caps and then Richards somehow finds it and puts it through Holtby's armpit, off the crossbar and in.

What a play.

He was clutch in 2003-2004 when TBL won their cup (obviously the Conn Smythe winner) and he was a big part of Chicago's most recent win; I particularly remember his quick no-look pass to Kane for a one-timer for a crucial goal in the final game before Duncan Keith scored to seal it.

Great player.

I was and still am sad that we were basically forced to buy him out because the NHL changed the rules after the fact.

Congrats on an amazing, clutch career, Brad, and best of luck to you in your second career. I could see him being a scout or even a GM one day.

#Clutch

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Richards would be entering the 6th season of his 9 year contract with the Rangers.

Richards would not have retired but the Rangers would have the $6,666,667 cap hit on their books.

Maybe he would have retired next summer when the salaries dropped to $1M per.

Cap recapture.

The Rangers set him up with the nice retirement package. He still gets the signing bonus money from the original 2011 contract and the buyout money. Richards got a $4M bonus check this month from the Rangers. He gets $5M as part of the buyout this season. $9M.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brad-richards

My God what a terrible contract. Sather :facepalm:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
We weren't exactly forced to buy him out. He was bought out because his play was awful and getting worse in combination with his huge contract.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
We weren't exactly forced to buy him out. He was bought out because his play was awful in combination with his huge contract.

Realistically, he should have been bought out after 2013. Horrible season + couldn't run the risk of having an injury that would have prevented him from being bought out after 2014. Thankfully, it wound up working out very well for us holding onto him for 1 more year.

His tenure here was underwhelming in a production sense but he came through with some of the biggest moments in quite some time for this team and for that, thank you Brad.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
We weren't exactly forced to buy him out. He was bought out because his play was awful and getting worse in combination with his huge contract.

I remember during the 2013 playoffs against Boston Kenny Albert flat out saying Richards can barely skate and shouldn't be out on the power play.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Will never forget Brad Richards' clutch tying goal with 6.6 seconds left to force OT where Staal blasted home the game winner.

We were 6.6 seconds away from being down 3 games to 2 in the series and on the brink of elimination. Brad Richards and Marc Staal changed that.

I remember it clear as day:

Rangers get a 4min powerplay from Ward sticking Hagelin in the face and making him bleed, leading to...

Faceoff win to Cally who shoots it, deflects to the corner; Gaborik recovers it back to Girardi over to Del Zotto who shuffles it down to Cally who throws it towards the net. It gets blocked a couple times, Cally does a great job to stay with it getting a few whacks to keep the puck in a danger area for the Caps and then Richards somehow finds it and puts it through Holtby's armpit, off the crossbar and in.

What a play.

He was clutch in 2003-2004 when TBL won their cup (obviously the Conn Smythe winner) and he was a big part of Chicago's most recent win; I particularly remember his quick no-look pass to Kane for a one-timer for a crucial goal in the final game before Duncan Keith scored to seal it.

Great player.

I was and still am sad that we were basically forced to buy him out because the NHL changed the rules after the fact.

Congrats on an amazing, clutch career, Brad, and best of luck to you in your second career. I could see him being a scout or even a GM one day.

#Clutch

Haggy recovered it, bumped it to Gaborik, who then passed to Girardi :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad