TF is a Simon Fraser University

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
just heard about this?

Is this like hockeys version of Bishop Sycamore?

Confusing. Its a Canadian school/ team but it plays NCAA teams?

Are these guys jr washouts who are like 24 year old freshman??

Do they also play UBC or McGill??

pls advise

They aren't Bishop Sycamore. It's a real school. They have a real campus, three of them actually.

Simon Fraser is the only Canadian school in the NCAA, a member of Division II.

They sponsor a very competitive club team with dual rosters which plays a full schedule of teams in the BCIHL, which is university hockey with several other BC schools. They also play a mix of NCAA, ACAC and ACHA competition. They do play UBC but not McGill per their schedule which you can view here: Schedule | SFU Red Leafs Hockey

"Junior washouts" is a relative term. Their non-BCIHL roster is mostly Junior A players of a fairly high caliber, enough to give them good games against most DI programs. Their roster is available online at the Simon Fraser hockey website, you can decide for yourself.

All this information could have been discovered by you within 20 seconds with a Google search, as well....

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If feel like you would've learned a lot more by just typing "Simon Frasier University" into Wikipedia and reading their article than typing all of that and waiting hours for a response.

It's just a school in British Columbia that decided to join the NCAA and might be starting a varsity hockey program. All there really is to it.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
just heard about this?

Is this like hockeys version of Bishop Sycamore?

Confusing. Its a Canadian school/ team but it plays NCAA teams?

Are these guys jr washouts who are like 24 year old freshman??

Do they also play UBC or McGill??

pls advise
Back when I was a student we used to call SFU - Some F#*king University!

I know, infantile, but it seemed funny back then.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
How can a Canadian School be In the NCAA tho?
SFU Athletics announcement of their 2012 acceptance as a full-fledged DII member school, with a plethora of related links to Canadian media reports at the time. Enjoy your reading ...

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
chill bro, i did google and i didnt get any good answers. The eay canadian colleges are set up is confusing af . If i wasnt into skiing or hockey id think about canada maybe 3 times a year so you must realize how foreign of a concept this program is to an american. I still cant wrap my head around it .

Why are they doing this instead of Usports which is what the 30 year old ex jr players compete in??

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
chill bro, i did google and i didnt get any good answers. The eay canadian colleges are set up is confusing af . If i wasnt into skiing or hockey id think about canada maybe 3 times a year so you must realize how foreign of a concept this program is to an american. I still cant wrap my head around it .

Why are they doing this instead of Usports which is what the 30 year old ex jr players compete in??
Dude, are you trolling?

Almost all USports men's hockey players are coming directly from Major Junior or Junior A, so the average rookie is 20 to 21 years old. Not much different than Div I players coming from the USHL.

There are a few former pros that come to USports after a couple of years in the minors, but they have to redshirt 365 days from their last pro game, and they lose a year of eligibility for every year of pro hockey from age 21 on.

I have never heard of a 30 year old ex-Junior player coming to USports. What was he doing the 9 years after his overage year in Junior?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

It's funny you didn't get any good answers, because just about everything everyone has written has either come directly from an article on the first page of Google, from the Simon Fraser hockey and athletics pages, or from Wikipedia.

Especially when you compare it with the title of the thread, I would say it is indicative of someone who is either trolling or extremely immature. My opinion is that it is both:thumbd:

Reactions: AUS Fan

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Well, to be fair, I can name one - Mike Danton.

He was playing in the NHL and then doing hard time between major junior and USports.

But yes, this guy is a troll.
I didn't include Danton because I knew he played in the NHL, and he is an outlier due to his prison time. Buddy was talking about 30 year old ex-Junior players, and I assumed he meant guys who hadn't played pro.
Regardless, it still comes off as trolling.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020

Canadian universities (colleges generally refers to something else in Canada) are organized not that much differently than in the US when it comes to sports. There are 4 geographic conferences for athletics, from east to west, AUS, RSEQ, OUA, Canada West. Only one level, no DII, DIII, etc. There are college specific conferences that some universities participate in for specific sports if they can't/won't field varsity level teams.

Simon Fraser is different because their founder had big dreams about SFU competing in the NCAA as everything in the US looks more glamourous to Canadians. (SFU is not that old, it was founded in the 1960s.) The problem is they have never lived up to that vision. At one point the football program was rejected by the NCAA DII level and it moved to Canada West. But the first chance they got to leave, they jumped to NCAA DII which burned their bridges with Canada West/U Sports. So Canada West wants nothing to do with SFU now on the principle of "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

tl;dr: SFU sees itself as too grandiose and ambitious for the Canadian university sports stage, but nearly 50 years of fail has proven them wrong. If not outright delulu

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I attend every Boston U. home game(and most of the road games) and BU will be hosting Simon Fraser in an exhibition on Jan. 5. In years past, BU would open against a Canadian team, i.e., New Brunswick, Concordia, SFX, etc. I had never heard of Simon Fraser until I saw the schedule.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I attend every Boston U. home game(and most of the road games) and BU will be hosting Simon Fraser in an exhibition on Jan. 5. In years past, BU would open against a Canadian team, i.e., New Brunswick, Concordia, SFX, etc. I had never heard of Simon Fraser until I saw the schedule.

Enjoy your double digit victory. :)

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
SFU sees itself as too grandiose and ambitious for the Canadian university sports stage, but nearly 50 years of fail has proven them wrong. If not outright delulu
My more generous read on Simon Fraser is that they were the new kids on the block in the late 1960s, second fiddle to UBC and they were looking for a way to disguinish themselves from the university up there on snob hill. They originally went to NAIA and were moderately successful in a bunch of the sports they competed in. Their soccer team was pretty good and the football team produced a bunch of very good CFL players. The basketball team produced Jay Triano, who was just never quite good enough for the NBA, but was a stalwart for Canada and eventually went on to coach in the NBA (assistant in Sacramento, I think, or Golden State? somewhere in California at least).

But yeah, things have gone a little sideways since they decided the NCAA was a better place to be. The higher profile made it harder to explain away their original team name (who knew that The Clan - a reference to the Scottish heritage of their namesake - would be problematic?) and eventually NCAA decided their ugly Canadian cousin wasn't really worth the additional travel and trouble.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
These are the scores for SFU games against NCAA ;

09.30.23 @ UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN (NCAA D1) | 8-1 Michigan

10.07.23 @ COLORADO COLLEGE (NCAA D1) | 6-3 Colorado College

10.20.23 @ ADRIAN COLLEGE (NCAA D3) | 2-1 Adrian

10.21.23 @ LAKE SUPERIOR STATE UNIVERSITY (NCAA D1) | 6-4 Lake State

11.03.23 @ UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH (ACHA D1) | 6-1 SFU

11.04.23 @ ROBERT MORRIS UNIVERSITY (NCAA D1) | 3-1 Robert Morris

11.25.23 @ LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY (NCAA D1) | 3-1 LIU

11.26.23 @ ARCADIA UNIVERSITY (NCAA D3) | 5-4 Arcadia

These are upcoming games:

01.05.24 @ BOSTON UNIVERSITY (NCAA D1) | Agganis Arena; Boston, MA | 4:00pm PST

01.06.24 @ BOSTON COLLEGE (NCAA D1) | Conte Forum; Chestnut Hill, MA | 4:00pm PST

02.16.24 @ MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY (ACHA D1) | Maysa Arena; Minot, ND | 5:30pm PST

02.17.24 @ MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY (ACHA D1) | Maysa Arena; Minot, ND | 5:30pm PST

Reactions: Terrier and Rob

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
My more generous read on Simon Fraser is that they were the new kids on the block in the late 1960s, second fiddle to UBC and they were looking for a way to disguinish themselves from the university up there on snob hill. They originally went to NAIA and were moderately successful in a bunch of the sports they competed in. Their soccer team was pretty good and the football team produced a bunch of very good CFL players. The basketball team produced Jay Triano, who was just never quite good enough for the NBA, but was a stalwart for Canada and eventually went on to coach in the NBA (assistant in Sacramento, I think, or Golden State? somewhere in California at least).

But yeah, things have gone a little sideways since they decided the NCAA was a better place to be. The higher profile made it harder to explain away their original team name (who knew that The Clan - a reference to the Scottish heritage of their namesake - would be problematic?) and eventually NCAA decided their ugly Canadian cousin wasn't really worth the additional travel and trouble.
Also interesting note on SFU , Terry Fox played JV Basketball for SFU and his number is retired. Not that anyone asked

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

Are you serious? BTW, many American Major Junior players end up in Sports.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Growing up and playing high school sports in BC, SFU and UBC were the two main local colleges for sports. 25 years or so ago, SFU was in NAIA and was able to offer scholarships which wasn't possible or the same as what UBC could offer. In football, the better football players in BC that didn't leave BC would go to SFU 1st, then to UBC. The Shrum bowl games (SFU vs UBC) were usually SFU dominated when I was paying going there.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad