TBN: Terry and Kim Pegula speak to Tim Graham on talk of dysfunction & overall ownership

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Terry & Kim Pegula talk Ownership and Dysfunction

It was a 90 minute interview via video chat. Something I definitely wish I saw instead of reading a transcript... News is slanting it towards the Bills, but it is absolutely worth a read if you're strictly Blue and Gold and not both. Especially considering the infrequency with which they speak to the media.

Buffalo Bills co-owner Terry Pegula will introduce new coach Sean McDermott on Friday afternoon and then step aside.

Pegula will take no questions. Neither will his wife, Bills co-owner Kim Pegula. That's how they prefer it.

McDermott from now on will talk for the Bills.

But a day before McDermott's arrival, Terry and Kim Pegula spoke with me for 90 minutes on a videoconference from their home in Boca Raton, Fla.

TG said:
You don't grant these types of interviews too often. Why today?

Terry Pegula: I guess there's been a perception we're inaccessible. But I've been consistent from Day One when I bought the Sabres and then with the Bills, by owning these teams it's about the players and coaches. We didn't buy teams to be visible in the media. We bought teams to keep them in the area and to flourish with them. I let the coaches and the players be out front and be the story.

TG said:
Nationally, the Bills' brand has taken a beating the past couple weeks. An ESPN analyst advised coaching candidates to get as far away from the Bills as possible. Others called the team a "dumpster fire" and "dysfunctional" ...

TP: Who advised candidates to run away? ESPN?

TG said:
An ESPN analyst declared Anthony Lynn should run from the Bills' opening. The Boston Globe called your ownership a "clown show." How does that sit with you?

TP: The Boston Globe said that? Huh.

KP: Obviously, we don't like stuff like that being said about us personally or about our community. We're proud of Buffalo. That's where we want to be. Certainly, the national media saying things like that and using those types of words is not how we want to be perceived.

TG said:
How would you know if you are or aren't dysfunctional?

TP: I know how I run my life, run our business. I know how we treat people, and I know the people we have in our organization. You can't pin 17 years on the Pegulas. We've been around for X-number of years. There's no foundation, no truth to this dysfunctional talk. I consider it an insult to our organization and the Bills and the good people with the Sabres. They can't be real happy to hear that.

TG said:
Through everything that's happened the past few weeks, what's your message to the fans?

TP: I tell them that we as owners go through the same emotions they do. Both of our organizations are working extremely hard to put a better product on the ice and on the field. We're working hard.

KP: It's not easy.

TP: It's not easy to win.

TG said:
Which team is closer to where you want it to be, the Bills or the Sabres?
TP: [Laughing] That's like the question, 'Which one of my children do I love most?' We want both teams to win.

TG said:
Yeah, but which one is closer?

TP: [Laughing] I don't have a viewpoint on that.

A TON more in the article.

The overall themes are functionality, job titles, media...perception nationally...organizational structure... rough personnel relationships...Russ Brandon... OneBuffalo Orbs...

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
They dodged all questions, but rightly so. People are up in arms about them, despite them pouring their money into revitalizing the area.

I hope they enjoy their time away from the media. I hope they realize most people appreciate all that they've done for WNY.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Good interview. No issues with the Pegulas. If Whaley doesn't give a crappy interview post-Ryan firing, things are a lot better. Their org structure and cross talk is fine.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I hope they realize most people appreciate all that they've done for WNY.
Good interview. No issues with the Pegulas.
Agreed. While I have no complaints myself, it's okay to take issue with how the teams are run or question decisions that are made, but those of us in/from WNY should never let that cloud our perspective in light of what they've done for the benefit of our teams and more importantly our community. What they've done through their own generosity completely overshadows any issues folks may have with how the sports teams are performing on the ice/field. Anybody who's ever visited downtown pre- and post-Pegula will have that example alone smack them square in the face.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I loved the interview.

I'm sure people will read too much into something, stick with it and make an opinion about some mundane thing that people argue about for about two pages which will essentially evolve into how the Coordinators are looking for another job and not really caring how the rest of the team does or argue who calls the plays.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I loved the interview.

I'm sure people will read too much into something, stick with it and make an opinion about some mundane thing that people argue about for about two pages which will essentially evolve into how the Coordinators are looking for another job and not really caring how the rest of the team does or argue who calls the plays.

And I know just the 3 or 4 posters for the job. They relish conspiracy and mountain/molehill building :laugh:

Good interview overall.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
They dodged all questions, but rightly so. People are up in arms about them, despite them pouring their money into revitalizing the area.

I hope they enjoy their time away from the media. I hope they realize most people appreciate all that they've done for WNY.

They answered the questions that I think the owners should answer. I don't care what their thoughts are on the QB situation, it shouldn't have any bearing on how the team operates. I'm sure if it did, people would be saying the owner is meddling. The person's opinion I care about hearing on this is McDermott and Whaley.

I don't care about the Ted Black, Lafontaine, question, that's between those gentlemen and the Pegulas. Anybody that MIGHT have a reason, outside of making a story about it, can just call those men to ask them.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Impressions:

1. Loved the interview: their answers, their deferrals, and the way they shut down questions they felt shouldn't be asked for personal reasons.

2. I feel validated in my assumption Rex asked about his status next year on the contingency if Pegula gave a negative answer, Rex would ask to be released in order to go to the Fiesta Bowl.

3. Love the way KP and TP play off each other in the interview. It's clear they are both involved, both commited. I have no opinion as to their ability to ultimately win big with the Bills and Sabres, but it is clear it's a duo involved. KP clearly is not off to the side.

4. Absolutely love Terry's remark that it's not Doug Whaley's job to win a press conference, and then drew analogy by inference to the Dark Sith Lord Bill Belichek.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
Meh, pretty boring interview, but that's to be expected

Pegulas need to realize that the clock did not reset on the playoff drought for the Bills when they purchased the team. For them, it's simply a 2 year drought, but for Bills fan it's a 17 year drought. Their honeymoon period is over, this built up frustration held by Buffalo sports fans can lead to false accusations of dysfunction and complacency.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Meh, pretty boring interview, but that's to be expected

Pegulas need to realize that the clock did not reset on the playoff drought for the Bills when they purchased the team. For them, it's simply a 2 year drought, but for Bills fan it's a 17 year drought. Their honeymoon period is over, this built up frustration held by Buffalo sports fans can lead to false accusations of dysfunction and complacency.
And when you insist on not only keeping their old guard, but including them on the Sabres, people will have questions.

What they've done through their own generosity completely overshadows any issues folks may have with how the sports teams are performing on the ice/field.
:vomits:

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Impressions:

1. Loved the interview: their answers, their deferrals, and the way they shut down questions they felt shouldn't be asked for personal reasons.

2. I feel validated in my assumption Rex asked about his status next year on the contingency if Pegula gave a negative answer, Rex would ask to be released in order to go to the Fiesta Bowl.

3. Love the way KP and TP play off each other in the interview. It's clear they are both involved, both commited. I have no opinion as to their ability to ultimately win big with the Bills and Sabres, but it is clear it's a duo involved. KP clearly is not off to the side.

4. Absolutely love Terry's remark that it's not Doug Whaley's job to win a press conference, and then drew analogy by inference to the Dark Sith Lord Bill Belichek.

Totally agree with this. Very good interview.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Put a poll up.

Choice a: watching the Bon Jovi owned Bills. Waiting for the 7th year of the lease agreement, then a move to Toronto.

Choice b: the current situation.

See how that goes.

You've gotta remember, in terms of who did they...

Pegula could give every WNY resident a million dollars, win the cup and super bowl in the same year, and they would still take issue with everything they do.

There is just no pleasing some, and they make their displeasure known frequently.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Put a poll up.

Choice a: watching the Bon Jovi owned Bills. Waiting for the 7th year of the lease agreement, then a move to Toronto.

Choice b: the current situation.

See how that goes.
Pegula is still making every business decision based on making more money.

The only difference is he is pleasing this area compared to another area as a byproduct of his financial gain.

And I don't want an NFL team here. It's theft of the vast majority of the people.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

The only difference is he is pleasing this area compared to another area as a byproduct of his financial gain.

And I don't want an NFL team here. It's theft of the vast majority of the people.

Well, there you go.

Don't put up a poll. Go to any Buffalo area restaurant, bar, bar & grill, etc. and throw that opinion out and see how many folks agree.

My bet is that you're in the vast, vast minority.

Theft? Because the state puts money up for the Bills? If that's your reasoning (and I'm not saying it is), then all professional sports should go away.

Pegula: for decades, Buffalo languished in political gridlock because lawmakers couldn't agree what to do with the downtown area. The Pegula's bypassed that and just began developing according to their vision.

I've lived in Savannah, Louisville, and Washington DC, and spent significant time in Kansas City, Munich, Regensburg, Atlanta, Dallas, and Austin due to where we've lived. Buffalo is starting to come online as a downtown, but it's not the craphole it used to be. News articles from papers outside Buffalo are starting to notice.

Buffalonians should be thankful. And if you don't like Buffalo, move. If you don't like the way the two sports teams interact with the state government, then don't follow them. No one here cares about your dislike of Buffalo or the teams.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

Even if you are going to spin this hyperbole (again), that's definitively false.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Well, there you go.

Don't put up a poll. Go to any Buffalo area restaurant, bar, bar & grill, etc. and throw that opinion out and see how many folks agree.

My bet is that you're in the vast, vast minority.

Theft? Because the state puts money up for the Bills? If that's your reasoning (and I'm not saying it is), then all professional sports should go away.

Pegula: for decades, Buffalo languished in political gridlock because lawmakers couldn't agree what to do with the downtown area. The Pegula's bypassed that and just began developing according to their vision.

I've lived in Savannah, Louisville, and Washington DC, and spent significant time in Kansas City, Munich, Regensburg, Atlanta, Dallas, and Austin due to where we've lived. Buffalo is starting to come online as a downtown, but it's not the craphole it used to be. News articles from papers outside Buffalo are starting to notice.

Buffalonians should be thankful. And if you don't like Buffalo, move. If you don't like the way the two sports teams interact with the state government, then don't follow them. No one here cares about your dislike of Buffalo or the teams.

I like where your heads at. I wish a few posters did the same thing.

But but but ... it's cool to ignorantly attack the city and owners of sport teams. You didn't get that memo? :sarcasm:

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Love the Pegulas and what they have done for the area. Moron reporters like Sullivan have an agenda against them for some unknown reason, and this interview was totally unnecessary. Sullivan is one of the worst reporters I've ever seen, and his awful negative attitude towards our sports teams is pathetic.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You've gotta remember, in terms of who did they...

Pegula could give every WNY resident a million dollars, win the cup and super bowl in the same year, and they would still take issue with everything they do.

There is just no pleasing some, and they make their displeasure known frequently.

I think that may be taking hyperbole just a tad too far. :laugh:

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
Love the Pegulas and what they have done for the area. Moron reporters like Sullivan have an agenda against them for some unknown reason, and this interview was totally unnecessary. Sullivan is one of the worst reporters I've ever seen, and his awful negative attitude towards our sports teams is pathetic.

It's because he has absolutely no interest in the Bills succeeding. It's easier to write criticism when they're losing than writing puff pieces in an era in which they're winning.

TBN reports think they should have some sort of unfettered access to the Pegulas, it's quite amateurish.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
After reading through the entire interview, I didn't really come away with anything. They really didn't answer all that much.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
After reading through the entire interview, I didn't really come away with anything. They really didn't answer all that much.

That's because it was a poorly run interview with poorly asked questions. Asking any questions that are going to reveal strategy was an instant shut down, and rightfully so.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

I came away with the conclusion they:
a) don't view media appeasement as a requirement for organizational and on-field success,
b) find some or all of the more controversial print and broadcast media assertions erroneous at best and laughable at worst,
c) they will continue to use the model, for the Bills, of coach and GM reporting directly to the owner, because they feel it best and most appropriate,
d) Kim & Terry are in lock-step as owners.
And they politely made all the above clear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad