Post-Game Talk: Terrible season, fire Woodcroft

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Honestly PLD is the xfactor. Byfield's progression is great for them but still kinda offset by them losing Vilardi and Iaffalo. If PLD actually decides to play hockey for once there could be problems.
Good read. Yep. But both of them being capable of bringing a game makes LA more of a threat now. Of the two PlD has been sidelined mostly as the prospect development Center which is interesting considering all the "he's not a team player" that gets stated about him. But the Kings went too hard on that and we're saddling him with guys like Grundstrom, lol Jaret Anderson, Kaliyev, Laferrierre. Only one of these guys is still even playing for kings or on their roster. They were hoping PLD would be able to carry those players to something. PLD looks instantly more involved offensively when he has anybody good to play with. Defensively he's been better than advertised. He was stuck with anchors.

Kempe, Byfield, Fiala, PLD have had sleeper type seasons. Doing less than they can. Kempe last couple weeks really feeling it again, so is Moore. Been an odd season for Kopitar. Up and down but he's old now, understandable. The old nemesis Danault had 3 assists last night, all beauties. Was the Kings best player. How often do we manage to say that about Nuge?

Iafallo is more than replaced by Arviddson. Really he's replaced by even Laferriere. No loss with him. Iafallo also 30 now and past peak. Villardi is the true player they lost. Hopefully for Jets he stays healthy for once.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Exactly. If you get past Dallas you likely get Colorado. I was hoping the Oil would get Vegas, but I think LA is the "safer" option, so long as they've actually learned from the last couple of seasons. But for Vegas I feel like crossing over is worst case, so f*** em.
Well, of course we don't get this commentary here in Canada where Vancouver and Toronto are constantly turd polished as Canadas team but in the States, on broadcasters like TNT they peg Oilers as favorites, as the juggernaut club. Its understandable if theres some avoidance playing the Oil. Maybe we don't think that well of our own club, but other clubs, US clubs, they do. Maybe the only team that doesn't respect us is Colorado.

On to the topic of goaltending. Both teams are having inconsistent goaltending. But in the case of both teams as well there doesn't have to be one guy starting all the games and I hope the Oilers got that memo. Theres no doubt the Oilers can light up Talbot and Rittich, but LA has the two options this year. In past seasons they really didn't. Oilers have a solid backup in Pickard and should use him when Skinner struggles, and there will be those moments.

Oilers in my view have what LA doesn't have which is superstar level talent. McDrai are difference makers as they ahve been in the series against LA. But to me its important that Kane, Nuge, Nurse are dragged in to the fight. Danault can't be more impactful than Nuge for a third series running, that can't and shouldn't be happening.

Henrique was such a key add, jmo, for this series. He gives us that extra premier Center option and is stronger than Nuge and more of a Center that can match LA's relatively strong Center lineup.

Reactions: GOilers88

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Backing into the playoffs miiiiiiight not be the best strategy on the planet. Finished 4-4-2 in the final 10. Hopefully we’re not down 2-0 in games to LA or LV before the lads decide to start playing for keeps.
Yup, Sure hope they can flick the switch on, because their claims of wanting to play "the right way" going in to the playoffs sure didn't look like it the last couple weeks or so, depleted lineup or not.

I’m trying to understand why there isn’t any motivation here. They really want Dallas in the first round? Good luck with that.
If that's what they're doing, it's a pretty dumb move. Dallas is arguably the best and deepest team in the west. There are no holes in that lineup.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Good read. Yep. But both of them being capable of bringing a game makes LA more of a threat now. Of the two PlD has been sidelined mostly as the prospect development Center which is interesting considering all the "he's not a team player" that gets stated about him. But the Kings went too hard on that and we're saddling him with guys like Grundstrom, lol Jaret Anderson, Kaliyev, Laferrierre. Only one of these guys is still even playing for kings or on their roster. They were hoping PLD would be able to carry those players to something. PLD looks instantly more involved offensively when he has anybody good to play with. Defensively he's been better than advertised. He was stuck with anchors.

Kempe, Byfield, Fiala, PLD have had sleeper type seasons. Doing less than they can. Kempe last couple weeks really feeling it again, so is Moore. Been an odd season for Kopitar. Up and down but he's old now, understandable. The old nemesis Danault had 3 assists last night, all beauties. Was the Kings best player. How often do we manage to say that about Nuge?

Iafallo is more than replaced by Arviddson. Really he's replaced by even Laferriere. No loss with him. Iafallo also 30 now and past peak. Villardi is the true player they lost. Hopefully for Jets he stays healthy for once.
Dubois is trash. Eight million for a 40 point guy who was minus 9 on the season. Getting into Pooperdeau territory.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Well, of course we don't get this commentary here in Canada where Vancouver and Toronto are constantly turd polished as Canadas team but in the States, on broadcasters like TNT they peg Oilers as favorites, as the juggernaut club. Its understandable if theres some avoidance playing the Oil. Maybe we don't think that well of our own club, but other clubs, US clubs, they do. Maybe the only team that doesn't respect us is Colorado.

On to the topic of goaltending. Both teams are having inconsistent goaltending. But in the case of both teams as well there doesn't have to be one guy starting all the games and I hope the Oilers got that memo. Theres no doubt the Oilers can light up Talbot and Rittich, but LA has the two options this year. In past seasons they really didn't. Oilers have a solid backup in Pickard and should use him when Skinner struggles, and there will be those moments.

Oilers in my view have what LA doesn't have which is superstar level talent. McDrai are difference makers as they ahve been in the series against LA. But to me its important that Kane, Nuge, Nurse are dragged in to the fight. Danault can't be more impactful than Nuge for a third series running, that can't and shouldn't be happening.

Henrique was such a key add, jmo, for this series. He gives us that extra premier Center option and is stronger than Nuge and more of a Center that can match LA's relatively strong Center lineup.
I'd like to think Edmonton are somewhat favorites, but there's only 3 certainties in life.

Death
Taxes
Oilers Oilering

Here's to hoping they come out of the gates firing, and end it in 4 or 5 this year to avoid any unnecessary wear and tear on the bodies. Definitely can't look past LA, as they gave Edmonton fits the last couple seasons.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad