Terrible acticle by Brooks today

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
No Larry. you don't put Hank in net for the playoffs when that will give your team a substantially less chance to win than if Shesterkin was in net. That sends a terrible message to your team. The players on the team now don't care what Hank was. They care about who gives them the best chance to win. Brooks is senile and should stop writing. He continues to want playing time for old guys who were nice to him. Hank was great. He's not anymore. It's professional sports Larry. You don't do nice things for players which won't help you win. Playing the goalie that gives you the least chance to win because of what he did in the past is a losers mentality. Something Brooks consistently shows when he writes articles.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
thats not what the article says at all...

I don’t know whether Henrik Lundqvist can reclaim the No. 1 job in nets from Igor Shesterkin when (and if) the Rangers reconvene at some point late next month or in early July.

But I do know that David Quinn and the coaching staff would be making a mistake if they enter camp with minds that closed in the middle of March in the aftermath of the NHL hitting the pause button due to coronavirus concerns.

going into camp with an open mind and seeing who is the best goalie...that should be viewed as a 'water is wet' statement...no one has played in months, most guys have barely skated. you have no idea what shape guys are coming back in. so to me its just common sense for coaches to go into camps with an open mind until they see where everyone stands cause it might not be what you expect.

its not about playing hank just cause its hank, and obviously the easy bet is that shesterkin will be the #1 because he is the better goalie right now. but he also needs to show he is on top of his game coming back from injury and all the time off. IMO there is a 0% chance that igor isn't the starter, but if hank or georgiev are playing better why wouldn't you consider them?

and the same applies to skaters....if for example brendan lemieux comes back in great shape and is skating circles around guys, why wouldn't you move him up the lineup if it makes the team better right now regardless of what you thought back in march?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
From the article:

But it doesn’t matter anymore that Lundqvist barely played the final eight weeks of the season. Rust is not an issue. It matters only how he plays in training camp. It only matters how Shesterkin and Georgiev play in camp.

. . .

Shesterkin, who has spent the pause in Florida, will enter as the incumbent, and that’s fine. But Lundqvist, who has been skating and taking shots in Sweden, has the pedigree. He deserves the chance.
Nothing wrong with Brooks' article, other than maybe that he gets paid to say basically nothing. A thousand words on why the coaching staff shouldn't decide the starter before minicamp. Big stuff.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Frankly, I feel this playoff is like playing with 'house money'. I'd give Henrik the first game and take it from there. He flops? Take him out. Play Igor. Henrik gets his reality check. Georgiev's value even rises (since the perception will be the Rangers are moving on from Henrik).
Or, Henrik goes on a legendary storybook-type run. Win-win.

Reactions: Kakko Schmakko

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We only make this play in series because of what Shesterkin did to get us there while hank and Georgiev were trading wins and losses every night for 2 months.

if Shesterkin doesn’t go 10-2 were done. He earned the job.

we’d probably be even higher in the standings if he doesn’t get hurt. Hank and Georgiev were both awful for a while there.

This was a bad take by brooks.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Shesterkin 8 games over .500 Georgiev 3 games over .500 Lundvist 2 games under .500. You can't put Henrik in goal. Period. You will lose all respect as a coach with your team. Players don't think like you. Oh well, let's potentially give 1 game away in a 5 game series by playing the worst of our three goalies because we are young and have many more years left. Ughhhh.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would just start Igor. We are getting an opportunity here to play some meaningful games and like to see how these kids can handle it, especially Igor. If Igor gets lit up then go with Hank who has the tons of playoff experience.

So imo, it’s Igor’s job to lose. Feel bad for Hank but this is not the time to feel sentimental to a player. Need to win.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Has to be Igor. However I would give a player like Kravtsov every chance to win a roster spot in camp. With the time off this will be like coming
into camp for the next season. If he hits the ice ready to go it would be a boost in talent that could help push the team further.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Heard from JD ‘s interview yesterday that Hank’s been in Sweden and started skating recently. If he was in Sweden where there was no lockdown, why did he only start skating recently? I would think he wouldn’t have been skating full steam this whole time, but would have tried to stay as close to playing fitness as possible if there weren’t restrictions. I just hope he’s not resigned to back up/3rd string

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Nobody really knows what shape anyone is coming in at. Whoever comes in best should play. This isn't a normal circumstance.

It'll probably be Igor, but no matter who it is, the best goalie in the camp should play, period. There's really nothing wrong with saying that.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
We only make this play in series because of what Shesterkin did to get us there while hank and Georgiev were trading wins and losses every night for 2 months.

if Shesterkin doesn’t go 10-2 were done. He earned the job.

we’d probably be even higher in the standings if he doesn’t get hurt. Hank and Georgiev were both awful for a while there.

This was a bad take by brooks.
Very fair and good point. I’m in the give-Hank-a-swan-song camp. But this is also a very fair take. Really difficult position for Quinn.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Very fair and good point. I’m in the give-Hank-a-swan-song camp. But this is also a very fair take. Really difficult position for Quinn.
Training Camp and practice will determine a whole lot.

Hank was, vintage Hank at many times during the first few weeks of the season.

The 10 games in 23 games during November didn’t help him the rest of the year, especially once Igor came up. I want Igor to start, but at the same time, if Hanks on his game In TC I wouldn’t bitch about him getting the starting nod.

I think Brooks is a horses ass, but I think he was suggesting the same thing in his article and it’s not something I can disagree with.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No Larry. you don't put Hank in net for the playoffs when that will give your team a substantially less chance to win than if Shesterkin was in net. That sends a terrible message to your team. The players on the team now don't care what Hank was. They care about who gives them the best chance to win. Brooks is senile and should stop writing. He continues to want playing time for old guys who were nice to him. Hank was great. He's not anymore. It's professional sports Larry. You don't do nice things for players which won't help you win. Playing the goalie that gives you the least chance to win because of what he did in the past is a losers mentality. Something Brooks consistently shows when he writes articles.

I criticize Brooks a lot, but he's spot on here. He's not saying to give the starting spot to Lundqvist, but to have him earn it in camp. I think it's Shestyorkin's crease to lose, so to speak.

Reactions: zephyr and egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Unless Igor comes into camp and blows up I think it's going to have to be him. Early in the year--Traverse and training camp Igor did have some issues with angles so I guess if he's got to figure that out again maybe you use someone else and honestly I'd be more inclined to go Georgiev than Henrik. Yeah we'll have to see but I'm thinking it's going to be Igor and ideally you settle on one goalie---you don't platoon them. You go with who you think is your best guy.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
After reading topic...... my first thought was..... how many others here are going to think the same thing that I'm thinking? And that would be.......

What else is new?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Frankly, I feel this playoff is like playing with 'house money'. I'd give Henrik the first game and take it from there. He flops? Take him out. Play Igor. Henrik gets his reality check. Georgiev's value even rises (since the perception will be the Rangers are moving on from Henrik).
Or, Henrik goes on a legendary storybook-type run. Win-win.

It's a best of 5 series, you don't take a chance at burning a game just to see how a guy will do

You play the guy who was best in camp.

Reactions: DekeR and zephyr

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It's a best of 5 series, you don't take a chance at burning a game just to see how a guy will do

You play the guy who was best in camp.
If the choice is obvious, sure. But it’s more likely camp will only provide the coaches a gut feeling.
I suspect they’ll go into camp with a starter chosen - though not announced publicly - and then use camp to see if they need to change their mind.
And personally I’d go into camp with Henrik 1 and Igor the wildcard. It just seems wiser to me than anointing Igor. Not only do I want Henrik to have a last shot but I also don’t want to mess up Igor.
Anyhow just my two cents. I’m sure team management has the pulse of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad