Speculation: Tenser going hard on Renney means...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobiezeke*

I dont see any problem with what tambi has done. Lets really be realistic here last year we had 2 kids around 40 points a piece and a kid with the body of a 14 year old girl coming in. How could he possible go out and make a big trade or spend big money when we had no idea how far along the kids would be this season.

As it turned out the kids are pretty much the best players on the team period. In my eyes tambo's success was not to be determined last summer but in reality it all comes down to this summer. As bad as our overall season has been when we have been healthy we have been an over 500 club. If tambo goes out and finds the right pieces this summer he is a success if not he was a mistake but i have no problems with the moves hes made to this point.

Like **** barker was a third overall pick same as possibly murray or dumba he had the same accolades as them etc they could be just as big busts but it was worth taking a shot on him to see if he could recover. Also managed to fleece LA not once but twice.

Pfft..using logic. Don't you understand that Tambo has killed this team?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I dont see any problem with what tambi has done. Lets really be realistic here last year we had 2 kids around 40 points a piece and a kid with the body of a 14 year old girl coming in. How could he possible go out and make a big trade or spend big money when we had no idea how far along the kids would be this season.

There were holes on the team that were obvious regardless of how the kids performed. These include the defence, golatending and lack of size and grit in the top 6.

As it turned out the kids are pretty much the best players on the team period. In my eyes tambo's success was not to be determined last summer but in reality it all comes down to this summer. As bad as our overall season has been when we have been healthy we have been an over 500 club. If tambo goes out and finds the right pieces this summer he is a success if not he was a mistake but i have no problems with the moves hes made to this point.

Where is the evidence to support the assertion that Tambo has the where with all to fill the holes on the team?

So far Tambo has brought in Fraser for Brodziak, Foster for Souray and he signed (for 4 fricken years) a useless goalie well past his expiration date.

If you are going to evaluate Tambo as having done a good job then at least provide some evidence to support your argument.
Like **** barker was a third overall pick same as possibly murray or dumba he had the same accolades as them etc they could be just as big busts but it was worth taking a shot on him to see if he could recover. Also managed to fleece LA not once but twice.

Barker was signed as a solution for the deplorable top 4...thats why it was a bad risk. If this team was looking to add depth to the bottom pairing then signing Barker is a risk worth taking.
That wasn't the case...it was a high risk because of the lack of quality depth on the blue line.
It really underscored Tambos poor ability in terms of evaluating of a player. It also underscored his poor ability at evaluating the teams shortcomings.

There is little to no reason to believe that Tambo has a clue about what the team needs or how to go about resolving those needs.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I want a new coach, but let's not just throw Renney under the bus here, boys. I've been giving Tambellini a free pass because we're in a rebuild, but he shouldn't be free from criticism. He hasn't made any really good moves in my opinion aside from trading Penner and some decent tweaks.

I honestly can't give him much credit for who's been drafted. Our scouting staff deserves the credit, also it's kind of hard to mess up drafting 1st ****ing overall.

Tambellini has to prove himself this off season. He has to make actual moves that fill the gaping holes on our team, he has to get the right head coach for the team. No more sitting on your hands, no more crossing your fingers and hoping Cam Barker or Corey Potter will solve the defense.

dobiezeke*

I want a new coach, but let's not just throw Renney under the bus here, boys. I've been giving Tambellini a free pass because we're in a rebuild, but he shouldn't be free from criticism. He hasn't made any really good moves in my opinion aside from trading Penner and some decent tweaks.

I honestly can't give him much credit for who's been drafted. Our scouting staff deserves the credit, also it's kind of hard to mess up drafting 1st ****ing overall.

Tambellini has to prove himself this off season. He has to make actual moves that fill the gaping holes on our team, he has to get the right head coach for the team. No more sitting on your hands, no more crossing your fingers and hoping Cam Barker or Corey Potter will solve the defense.

Schultz was a good start.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
Tencer reminds me more of Pee Wee Herman than Millhouse.

tencer-front.jpg

3512.jpg

Pee-Wee-Herman.jpg

Pretty tough call actually :laugh:

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
I think Renney will be back next year. This team is coming off a major rebuild and still is and at times, the coach makes unusual decisions to shake things up or try something new during poor team play. If Renne does not bring the team around to play sound hockey next year at the 1/3 mark, he will probably be replaced.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
First, you didn't find a thread involving Renney? Joke?

Second, I don't know when the interview was done, but if it was after the FLA game why would he complain about the shooters? They won that game, so why talk about the one from the day before?

Complaining about the shooters in the shootout is flat out pointless. There is a lot more then people think. Eberle and Hall are our top 2 goal scorers, they both suck in the SO. But I'm sure people would be crying if Eberle doesn't get a shot. Then there is the whole practice thing. If a guy is hot in practice why not give him a shot in the SO that day?

There are reasons to bash a coach, but Renney getting bashed right now makes little sense. Outside of the whole he won't be back so lets really run him out of town theory.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
First, you didn't find a thread involving Renney? Joke?

Second, I don't know when the interview was done, but if it was after the FLA game why would he complain about the shooters? They won that game, so why talk about the one from the day before?

Complaining about the shooters in the shootout is flat out pointless. There is a lot more then people think. Eberle and Hall are our top 2 goal scorers, they both suck in the SO. But I'm sure people would be crying if Eberle doesn't get a shot. Then there is the whole practice thing. If a guy is hot in practice why not give him a shot in the SO that day?

There are reasons to bash a coach, but Renney getting bashed right now makes little sense. Outside of the whole he won't be back so lets really run him out of town theory.

Honestly though Joe, that pretty much seems to be the medias standpoint the last couple seasons on departing players/coaches.

Hell they even use them to bring players on-board ala Mike Comrie..

bucktown

Oct 27, 2009
I went through the last few pages and did't notice a thread involving Renny, so I thought I'd start up another one.

Listened to about 30 minutes of the after game talk show tonight and something surprised me. Tenser actually criticized Renney for his picks in the shootout VS Tampa. He clearly stated that Renney made the wrong decision. It's a little out of character for him to be bashing the coach.

Wonder how the bodes for him... meanwhile... since our blueline has been healthy we've had a pretty decent record.

Thoughts?

A little birdy told me that Tencer got a visit from the higher-up's in Ontario regarding a certain twitter update, and that his "role in the organization will be changing at the end of the year".

If thats the case he may not be holding his tongue as much as before.....

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
A little birdy told me that Tencer got a visit from the higher-up's in Ontario regarding a certain twitter update, and that his "role in the organization will be changing at the end of the year".

If thats the case he may not be holding his tongue as much as before.....

Who are higher ups in Ontario? Whose role will be changing, Renney or Tencer? I don't even understand your last sentence in either scenario.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Today we've got an article by Matheson saying the Oilers stars need to be protected, and he even says in the Phoenix game we should have gone after Vrbata when they wouldn't fight.

Just posting here because it seems to be the default Renney thread.

bucktown

Oct 27, 2009
Who are higher ups in Ontario? Whose role will be changing, Renney or Tencer? I don't even understand your last sentence in either scenario.

I think its pretty obvious that I was talking about Tencer, no?

I couldn't tell you specifically who the Ontario visit was from, as I don't know, sorry. One of his superiors I would guess. I was told it was something relating to this tweet on March 1st:

Dan Tencer ‏ @dantencer

This text message system is awesome. The best part is, if someone starts beaking me, I have their phone number. Way better than Twitter.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
I think Renney getting fired this summer has more to do with the fact the kids don't like him.

Quite frankly I wouldn't blame them if this is in fact the case.

Giant Moo

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I think its pretty obvious that I was talking about Tencer, no?

I couldn't tell you specifically who the Ontario visit was from, as I don't know, sorry. One of his superiors I would guess. I was told it was something relating to this tweet on March 1st:

Dan Tencer ‏ @dantencer

This text message system is awesome. The best part is, if someone starts beaking me, I have their phone number. Way better than Twitter.

That was the major faux pas that set off alarm bells? Nothing prior? Or since?

GatoradeG*

It mean's something that we don't talk about on these child friendly forums. It also means that Nelson will be the new coach after Renney is let go/"promoted".

bucktown

Oct 27, 2009
That was the major faux pas that set off alarm bells? Nothing prior? Or since?

I got some clarification, apparently he had said something on air about what he was intending on doing with the phone numbers belonging to the people harassing him, and that's the straw that broke the camels back and warranted the visit.

Take it for what its worth tho. I for one wouldn't mind if both he and Tom got "re-structured"

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I refuse to believe that something as awesome as Tencer being replaced could actually happen.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I like Renney, but I've not disliked any of the recent coaches. I won't be surprised if they let him go, but I hope they know who they want and why before they do such a thing. Change for the sake of change is a what a loser organization does (Maple Leafs).

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Let's see...
Tambeliini fires head coach Mact in summer of 2009. Next season - Oilers finish 30th.

Tambellini fires head coach Quinn in summer of 2010. next season - Oilers finish 30th.

Tambellini is thinking of replacing Renney after another lottery finish.

maybe the problem isn't just the head coach...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Let's see...
Tambeliini fires head coach Mact in summer of 2009. Next season - Oilers finish 30th.

Tambellini fires head coach Quinn in summer of 2010. next season - Oilers finish 30th.

Tambellini is thinking of replacing Renney after another lottery finish.

maybe the problem isn't just the head coach...

Tambellini gets an endless supply of do overs...haven't you heard, this is a rebuild.

Stainsy

Time to improve
Jun 21, 2005
Ont.
www.parkerhousemotel.com
Considering the crap talent that has been on the Oilers the last ten plus years, excepting 2006 where they actually got some elite D talent, Tambellini can hardly be blamed for not spending the bank on talent, with no depth to back it up. He has done exactly what a rebuild is. Use spare parts, and get young elite talent. Groom that talent, and keep using cheap spare parts. Once you have a core, now you can get some more expensive spare parts to improve the quality. If you can convince player perception, you can even go whale hunting and land another superstar to come here, maybe even for less, because it will give the team a shot at the cup. In this day and age of free agency, and absolutely no loyalty to teams, just the almighty dollar, then you have to build from within. Building from within means you don't go hunting for the big guys, and way overpay for them. Oilers had some huge near misses though, Heatley, and Hossa. That would be dumb when your rebuilding. Tambo has done exactly what needs done so far, and that is sign spare parts cheap, for only one or two years. Khabby was a need, and Oilers still have a need. Dubnyk seems to be playing better now, but is he really a number one? Khabby has been shaky to say the least, but who cares if we ruin his confidence with the joke that the Oilers have had for a D for a long time. With Petry coming around, Whitney getting healthy, and the addition of Schultz, the D is starting to look alot better. Our first two lines are looking very good. Horcoff is where he belongs, and Belanger is a much needed shot in the arm at center for winning draws. We still need a standout goalie, and a pugilist that can actually scare other teams from going after our stars. That will have to come from a team effort to make their stars pay if they target ours. I have liked Eager's game this season, but the rest haven't wowed me. Tambo still has work to do, but I don't think any team in the NHL would have done well this season with five of their top six d-men out injured. That is something that is impossible to overcome. I know lots won't agree with me, but I even liked Sutton's game for stretches at a time. This team is not that far off, I don't think that October, November was a fluke. It was a good run, and can be repeated. I think its time for a new coach, and a different philosophy, along with some better in game decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad