Tennyson improving with each passing game?

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Wow, I'm surprised at reading your opinions, as I don't think Tennyson is an NHL-quality defenseman yet, and given the fact he is 24 I don't count on him ever being one. Of course he is better than Hannan, but who isn't? But better than Irwin, really? Irwin doesn't handle the puck like a grenade. I died a little bit inside last night when I Saw Hannan and Tennyson playing, and Mueller benched.

Hannan and Irwin keep getting played so in terms of what we have, he is a solid bottom pairing guy.

The issue is TMac wont let anyone else play so the Sharks dont even know what they have at D at the moment, though Irwin smells of the Murray situation, hes getting moved for a 5th or something at the deadline for sure.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Wow, I'm surprised at reading your opinions, as I don't think Tennyson is an NHL-quality defenseman yet, and given the fact he is 24 I don't count on him ever being one. Of course he is better than Hannan, but who isn't? But better than Irwin, really? Irwin doesn't handle the puck like a grenade. I died a little bit inside last night when I Saw Hannan and Tennyson playing, and Mueller benched.

D-man learning curve is commonly known to be higher than forwards. Their prime years are at an older age too.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
24 isn't even that old for a prospect either. Braun wasn't looking like much more than a 3rd pairing guy at that age. Only made his break out half way through his 25 year old season.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Hello, how has Tennyson been at this season? Good? Bad? What would be his highest future potential?

He's very steady. Has some mistakes and has been (on and off) quarterbacking the 2nd powerplay unit. He's pretty much unnoticeable but he has a cannon of a slapper. I really like his play, but I don't see him as anything more than a #5-6.

He's going to be with the team for a long time because he's a local kid. Wilson really likes him.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He honestly looked like the better defenseman on his pair and has every time he's been paired with Dillon...I'm not alone in thinking this, am I?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Well I mean he's pretty responsible defensively and isn't as good on the PP.

I'd say he's like a worse Torey Krug.

Hmm, I don't mind that comparison. I really like Tennyson. I love his shot, I just wish it'd go in a little more. He needs to get better at his shot selection, in my opinion.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
He honestly looked like the better defenseman on his pair and has every time he's been paired with Dillon...I'm not alone in thinking this, am I?

Nope. Dillon has been our worst D man AINEC. Tenny has looked pretty solid IMO. I like his offensive skill set. Its slowly progressing, but I think there's something there.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
tennyson is quickly becoming a solid #5. he's way more reliable than dillon, and some call him a #4.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I agree - I like Tennyson. He's quick and has good positioning.

Dillon, OTOH, seems slow to read the play and doesn't react quickly. Also, every other pass seems to be flubbed. He's solidifying himself as a 3rd pairing dman which is fine this season but with his cap hit, that could become an issue down the road.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I agree - I like Tennyson. He's quick and has good positioning.

Dillon, OTOH, seems slow to read the play and doesn't react quickly. Also, every other pass seems to be flubbed. He's solidifying himself as a 3rd pairing dman which is fine this season but with his cap hit, that could become an issue down the road.

He's big and uses his body quite a bit. That wears on the opposition. I also see him as 50/50. 50 playing good enough as a top 4 and 50 playing as a bottom 6. He makes some mistakes, but so does Braun, Tenny and Burns. He is a bit slow at times and that really stands out when he screws up. He still gets back in position most of the time even if he's originally beat.

He's leaps and bounds ahead of most 5&6's we've had lately and I'm fine with him as it stands now. I'll always take an upgrade though :)

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
He's big and uses his body quite a bit. That wears on the opposition. I also see him as 50/50. 50 playing good enough as a top 4 and 50 playing as a bottom 6. He makes some mistakes, but so does Braun, Tenny and Burns. He is a bit slow at times and that really stands out when he screws up. He still gets back in position most of the time even if he's originally beat.

He's leaps and bounds ahead of most 5&6's we've had lately and I'm fine with him as it stands now. I'll always take an upgrade though :)

I agree - you've balanced it with his positives. He's the physical dman we do need without being a pylon like Wallin or White.

My worry is slight and may be moot. I'm fine with him as is (an above average 3rd pairing dman) for the next couple seasons. It's in the seasons after that but that's so far out it's not worth thinking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad