GDT: TEN Wins in a Row Starts NOW - Rangers @ Devils, 5 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Palms has a good shot but he passed instead of shot shortly after our 3rd goal.
He should have ripped it high glove hand on that 2 on 1.

Same in OT. Shoot the puck.

Didn't he do the same a month or so back? It was a game he def scored in too, might even have had 2 that game. Or maybe it was Camm?

It's like a little mental tick that kicks in. Trying not to be selfish.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Why was Sevs so passive on the GLG in OT?
I watched the replay again and didn't realize his passivity while watching it live.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We really could have used Zacha tonight.

Having both DSP & Noesen in the lineup is redundant and slows down team speed.

Ya agree, I really don't mind either in a 4th line role, but having both out there does start to drag things down.

The little flash of speed I thought I saw from Noesen in that first game looks to have been a mirage.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
How do we blame Cory on the tying goal? He didn't see the shot. His positioning looked fine, he was square to the puck and at the right spot, and if he can't see it that's the end of it.

Also don't blame him in OT. That was a brilliant shot - fake and finish by the Ranger forward who's name I can't spell. Zabindejad? Just a first class play on a first class chance. Taylor Hall-class finish in OT (where Taylor has won us a couple this year, and where even Greene slipped one between a goalie's pads to win in Buffalo - stuff happens in OT).

I'm sorry, but Cory isn't an elite goalie if we don't expect him to make those saves. He was the reason we lost the game.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Ya agree, I really don't mind either in a 4th line role, but having both out there does start to drag things down.

The little flash of speed I thought I saw from Noesen in that first game looks to have been a mirage.

He's a poor skater overall, below average in speed, balance, change of direction.

He has a chance to earn a 4th line spot but I'm not sold on him being in the long term plans.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yeah, Glenn Denning is not Al MacInnis nor Al Iafrate with his shot from the blue line.

Sure LJ was an idiot for screening him but I'd like to see Cory fight through the screen and get a piece of that fluttering point shot (tying goal).

Camille the Eel

One thing positive about Hynes has been good team cohesion and identity, as a group, while we've run four to five (maybe six) Albany prospects into and out of the lineup all year. The team has stuck together as a group, win-lose-five hundred, and we know what we've got in the pipeline.

For a developing club, for a rebuild going on, that's a positive.

The other criticisms imply that we've somehow got a playoff club here, a serious contender, with someone else at the helm. No way. We knew that looking at the paper in October. Or should have.

Camille the Eel

I'm sorry, but Cory isn't an elite goalie if we don't expect him to make those saves. He was the reason we lost the game.

My big criticism of Cory is the lack of athleticism. Not something that came into play last night, but once he's out of position or down, or off his butterfly technique, he's not a guy who easily scrambles back into a play. On his back or his side he truly wallows, the mud turtle on his back.

Historically he's been pretty good a finding pucks in traffic. But less so this year. More traffic? Weaker structure around him.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Why was Sevs so passive on the GLG in OT?
I watched the replay again and didn't realize his passivity while watching it live.

It was the pump fake by Zibanejad IIRC. Sevs looked like he was trying to angle him wide and then just got sold on the pump fake.

On another note, I think people spend too much energy micro analyzing Hynes. Looking at every decision in an emotional vacuum after each loss. I don't suppose the Hynes lynch mob wants to give him any credit for the way the team came out in the third last night. In the big picture, I don't understand what people expect him to get out of this roster. Trust the process.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
It was the pump fake bun Zibanejad IIRC. Sevs looked like he was trying to angle him wide and then just got sold on the pump fake.

On another note, I think people spend too much energy micro analyzing Hynes. Looking at every decision in an emotional vacuum after each loss. In the big picture, I don't understand what people expect him to get out of this roster. Trust the process.

After every win, we praise the players and after every loss, it's all on "Hyney head". It's actually getting pretty tiresome.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It was the pump fake by Zibanejad IIRC. Sevs looked like he was trying to angle him wide and then just got sold on the pump fake.

On another note, I think people spend too much energy micro analyzing Hynes. Looking at every decision in an emotional vacuum after each loss. I don't suppose the Hynes lynch mob wants to give him any credit for the way the team came out in the third last night. In the big picture, I don't understand what people expect him to get out of this roster. Trust the process.

Severson did what he should.

Kept him out wide and took away the middle. Schneider could really only be beaten short side or five-hole from that position. Just so happened Zibanejad slipped a perfect shot five-hole.

That goal is on Schneider, not Severson. In 3-on-3 OT, you're going to have to give players space; you just need to take away the most dangerous scoring chance and hope your goalie takes away the rest.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Severson did what he should.

Kept him out wide and took away the middle. Schneider could really only be beaten short side or five-hole from that position. Just so happened Zibanejad slipped a perfect shot five-hole.

That goal is on Schneider, not Severson. In 3-on-3 OT, you're going to have to give players space; you just need to take away the most dangerous scoring chance and hope your goalie takes away the rest.

No doubt. He limited Zibanejad's options as well as he could have and it was a softie by Schneider. But I still think he pulled up a bit after the pump fake.

Edit: that's the second time autocorrect has changed by to "bun".

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
No doubt. He limited Zibanejad's options as well as he could have and it was a softie bun Schneider. But I still think he pulled up a bit after the pump fake.

He committed to deflecting the shot. Then he made sure Zibanejad couldn't pull the puck towards the middle of the ice and go far-side.

Again, he limited the options for Schneider which is all he could do in that situation. It was a nifty, smart play by Zibanejad; he knew what he was doing trying to freeze Schneider and it worked. Schneider still should have had that.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It's the nature of this board. Behavioral observation. Look also at the other team's threads. Nature of the beast.
Yeah but on our board we have a Pied Piper who will never stop until the dead horse he is beating vanishes. Makes threads unbearable to read when its all repetition.

Advice: sometimes less is more...

Last edited:

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
How do we blame Cory on the tying goal? He didn't see the shot. His positioning looked fine, he was square to the puck and at the right spot, and if he can't see it that's the end of it.

Also don't blame him in OT. That was a brilliant shot - fake and finish by the Ranger forward who's name I can't spell. Zabindejad? Just a first class play on a first class chance. Taylor Hall-class finish in OT (where Taylor has won us a couple this year, and where even Greene slipped one between a goalie's pads to win in Buffalo - stuff happens in OT).

I blame him since he is supposedly an elite goalie. Elite goalies need to make that save. If he can't see a shot coming at him with no one in his view, he is not an elite goalie and this team seriously over payed for him both in the trade and with the contract.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I blame him since he is supposedly an elite goalie. Elite goalies need to make that save. If he can't see a shot coming at him with no one in his view, he is not an elite goalie and this team seriously over payed for him both in the trade and with the contract.

When was the last time Cory stepped up and absolutely shut the door when we were up by a goal in the third period against a team that was pressing hard? I feel like he rarely comes trough in those circumstances. That's not an elite goalie, I don't care what his save % looks like.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils have given up 1914 shots on goal so far this year. They're on pace to give up 2573 shots. Let's just, for fun, look at how many shots they gave up 5 years ago and keep going back like that:

2012: 2190
2007: 2326
2002: 1892
1997: 2154

'Elite goaltending' may have something to do with the defense in front of the goaltender.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The Devils have given up 1914 shots on goal so far this year. They're on pace to give up 2573 shots. Let's just, for fun, look at how many shots they gave up 5 years ago and keep going back like that:

'Elite goaltending' may have something to do with the defense in front of the goaltender.

How shocking! :laugh:

Many will just find it to be a convenient excuse for Cory to blame the defense, but the proof is there for the poor play this season.

For the record, he still is having a down year of course and he doesn't look as confident as previous seasons. And yes, he should have stopped the OT winner.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah but on our board we have a Pied Piper who will never stop until the dead horse he is beating vanishes. Makes threads unbearable to read when its all repetition.

Advice: sometimes less is more...

I've never been called the pied piper before.

I'll take the compliment!:sarcasm:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How shocking! :laugh:

Many will just find it to be a convenient excuse for Cory to blame the defense, but the proof is there for the poor play this season.

For the record, he still is having a down year of course and he doesn't look as confident as previous seasons. And yes, he should have stopped the OT winner.

Goaltending is a mental position. IF a goalies confidence is low they will have down years.

If a goalie constantly is forced to make up for poor defense it throws them off their game. Too busy trying to watch out and make hero saves that they screw up the easy ones.

People on here are throwing **** fits that he isn't Hasek and cant bail out a terrible defense with a slinky spine and fail to recognize that it has been a shooting gallery on Cory all year.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

You don't have to go back five years. Three seasons ago when Cory became the starter for this team they were still one of the best shot suppression squads in the NHL. And Cory still sucked at protecting third period leads then.

I don't really understand why people become so defensive when talking about Cory. I don't think anyone is saying his overall play is bad or that he he not a good goalie. But there is a disturbing trend of him being incapable of stepping up when the team needs him most. When this team gets around to making the playoffs again, I don't trust him to be the kind of player that is going to shine when the stakes are at their highest.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Goaltending is a mental position. IF a goalies confidence is low they will have down years.

If a goalie constantly is forced to make up for poor defense it throws them off their game. Too busy trying to watch out and make hero saves that they screw up the easy ones.

People on here are throwing **** fits that he isn't Hasek and cant bail out a terrible defense with a slinky spine and fail to recognize that it has been a shooting gallery on Cory all year.

Very well said, agreed on all accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad