GDT: TEN Wins in a Row Starts NOW - Rangers @ Devils, 5 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You don't have to go back five years. Three seasons ago when Cory became the starter for this team they were still one of the best shot suppression squads in the NHL. And Cory still sucked at protecting third period leads then.

Because a huge portion of the 3rd period leads he had to protect were 1 goal leads. Schneider is 2nd to last in 5 on 5 GF/60 with a lead. So basically the Devils are worse than just about any other team at scoring with a lead at evens, which makes sense because they're bad at scoring any other time at evens too.

I don't really understand why people become so defensive when talking about Cory. I don't think anyone is saying his overall play is bad or that he he not a good goalie. But there is a disturbing trend of him being incapable of stepping up when the team needs him most. When this team gets around to making the playoffs again, I don't trust him to be the kind of player that is going to shine when the stakes are at their highest.

Schneider is a .920 goalie 5 on 5 when protecting leads as a Devil. This actually isn't great, so you guys aren't seeing things - it's around middle of the pack. Here's two goalies who are worse: Jonathan Quick and Corey Crawford. Schneider has only played 2800 5 on 5 mintues when leading over 4 years, which is the equivalent of 47 games - that's not a whole lot of time when you're talking about goaltending.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
All the ''Cory has been anticlutch every year and has never been elite'' talk is WAY overblown.

This is his first season in the NHL where he will probably finish the season with a save percentage below 92%

He and Lundqvist are the only goalies in the NHL to finish with a .920 or better for every season this decade. And it looks like Lundqvist will also be breaking that trend this year too.

Any criticism regarding this season's play is completely valid and warranted, but let's not act like he's been like this EVERY season. He hasn't been.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
All the ''Cory has been anticlutch every year and has never been elite'' talk is WAY overblown.

This is his first season in the NHL where he will probably finish the season with a save percentage below 92%

He and Lundqvist are the only goalies in the NHL to finish with a .920 or better for every season this decade. And it looks like Lundqvist will also be breaking that trend this year too.

Any criticism regarding this season's play is completely valid and warranted, but let's not act like he's been like this EVERY season. He hasn't been.

In any given game there are always a series of pivotal moments where the goalie either makes the necessary saves or he doesn't. Those 5 or 10 saves that he just has to make. That's how you really judge a goalie. Whether his overall SVPCT is .918 or .926 just isn't that important. I don't say much because it just isn't worth my time to have constant arguments over the same thing, but since I've joined this board I have said that Schneider is overrated and I certainly don't feel any different today. He just isn't a money goalie. Not everyone is. People need to stop having unrealistic expectations that one day this guy is going to lead us to the promised land. The best thing we could do is cut bait and get what he can for him. Otherwise the disappointment will just continue.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In any given game there are always a series of pivotal moments where the goalie either makes the necessary saves or he doesn't. Those 5 or 10 saves that he just has to make. That's how you really judge a goalie. Whether his overall SVPCT is .918 or .926 just isn't that important. I don't say much because it just isn't worth my time to have constant arguments over the same thing, but since I've joined this board I have said that Schneider is overrated and I certainly don't feel any different today. He just isn't a money goalie. Not everyone is. People need to stop having unrealistic expectations that one day this guy is going to lead us to the promised land. The best thing we could do is cut bait and get what he can for him. Otherwise the disappointment will just continue.

These bad goals that he allows were not as frequent before this season though. Less than 20% of his total goals allowed last season were stoppable one's.

This year, it's up closer to 30% of the total goals allowed.

Some of you people act like Schneider is the only goalie that allows these kinds of goals. Lundqvist (who has not been good this season, I know it's a bad example) just allowed a couple stoppable goals tonight. Two of the goals Raanta allowed yesterday were ****ing brutal.

But the people that aren't fans of the Rangers (or other teams with goaltenders that allow a bad goal) don't really think this too much about it. They see it as a nice snipe by Palmieri or a good heads up wraparound stuff by play by Henrique.

Just turn on St Louis or one of the Stars games and you'll see their goaltending is really hard on the eyes.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
These bad goals that he allows were not as frequent before this season though. Less than 20% of his total goals allowed last season were stoppable one's.

This year, it's up closer to 30% of the total goals allowed.

Some of you people act like Schneider is the only goalie that allows these kinds of goals. Lundqvist (who has not been good this season, I know it's a bad example) just allowed a couple stoppable goals tonight. Two of the goals Raanta allowed yesterday were ****ing brutal.

But the people that aren't fans of the Rangers (or other teams with goaltenders that allow a bad goal) don't really think this too much about it. They see it as a nice snipe by Palmieri or a good heads up wraparound stuff by play by Henrique.

Just turn on St Louis or one of the Stars games and you'll see their goaltending is really hard on the eyes.

CS is certainly having a worse season than "normal". Anybody can see that. And for the record, I think Lundqvist is probably the most overrated goalie in the history of the league.

If you want a guy who is "solid" on most nights and who can soak up minutes then Cory will do just fine. There should just not be any expectations beyond that or insistence that we have in our midst something special.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Goaltending is a mental position. IF a goalies confidence is low they will have down years.

If a goalie constantly is forced to make up for poor defense it throws them off their game. Too busy trying to watch out and make hero saves that they screw up the easy ones.

People on here are throwing **** fits that he isn't Hasek and cant bail out a terrible defense with a slinky spine and fail to recognize that it has been a shooting gallery on Cory all year.

Sums it up. Goaltending is a mental position and maybe (IMO probably) Schneider is sick of losing and has kind of checked out.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

He's also scored fewer goals than Brodeur, which is something the Devils could really use.

The idea that Schneider isn't a money goalie is ridiculous. He's hardly played in any money games as a Devil, and those that he did play in were 3 years ago when he was 68th out of 70 in goals scored/60 minutes when he played.

But hey, even managements can be fooled into blaming their best players for their team's struggles, and that's why the Devils have Taylor Hall.

Get Schneider a real offense, then everyone can be convinced of exactly what they believed before.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
CS is certainly having a worse season than "normal". Anybody can see that. And for the record, I think Lundqvist is probably the most overrated goalie in the history of the league.

If you want a guy who is "solid" on most nights and who can soak up minutes then Cory will do just fine. There should just not be any expectations beyond that or insistence that we have in our midst something special.
Even Bishop has had a poor year, Rask has been average at best, Price has played below his level from the last 3 years. Brian Elliott has been pretty awful in Calgary. So it's not just Cory having a down year, a lot of the goalies that have been elite around the league are playing below usual standards. Luongo has been meh, although he's old now.

The only constant is that Ward and Lehtonen are still beyond awful, just like the last however many years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You don't have to go back five years. Three seasons ago when Cory became the starter for this team they were still one of the best shot suppression squads in the NHL. And Cory still sucked at protecting third period leads then.

I don't really understand why people become so defensive when talking about Cory. I don't think anyone is saying his overall play is bad or that he he not a good goalie. But there is a disturbing trend of him being incapable of stepping up when the team needs him most. When this team gets around to making the playoffs again, I don't trust him to be the kind of player that is going to shine when the stakes are at their highest.

He's a good goalie...but the point is if you're the elite top five goalie he's proported to be, he wouldn't give up untimely soft goals and blow as many third-period leads/OT games as he does.

Because a huge portion of the 3rd period leads he had to protect were 1 goal leads.

That's a weak rationalization, that's like saying closers can't be blamed for blowing a lead when it's one run instead of three. You're acting like Cory should be an average goalie - people shouldn't be asking Cory to be average, they should expect him to be above average.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's a weak rationalization, that's like saying closers can't be blamed for blowing a lead when it's one run instead of three. You're acting like Cory should be an average goalie - people shouldn't be asking Cory to be average, they should expect him to be above average.

No, it's not a weak rationalization. This is basically the same as the plus/minus debate. A player playing on a power play, no matter how good he is, will be on the ice for short-handed goals. A goalie, no matter how good he is, is going to 'blow leads'. The smaller the leads he has, the more he is going to blow. It's a silly comparison to a closer because Schneider doesn't come in during special times - he plays the entire game. In that sense, a goal he gives up during the first period is worth the same as a goal given up in the third period, even if one is at a higher-leverage moment.

Schneider was 5th in the league in this category as a Canuck, by the way.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The whole team has sucked at holding leads for years, so it's not surprising Cory has been in goal for quite a few blown leads. Maybe if the team was better and didn't go into "hold on for dear life" mode every time they have a lead Cory wouldn't need to shut the door completely all the time.

Plus the "big game goalie" argument is about as nebulous as they come. Is Quick better than Lundqvist because he won 2 Cups while Lundqvist has none?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The team also crumples up into the fetal position when they have small leads and Cory ends up simply getting bombarded. He has to constantly make pivotal saves on top of pivotal save. People just don't remember those because inevitably one goes in.

We are a terrible possession team and a terrible shot suppression team. You can't protect leads when you can't possess or limit shots unless you are really lucky or have Hasek in goal.

Great goaltending will bail you out from mistakes and the occasional game where things aren't going well. Asking one to do that on a nightly basis will never work.

Price couldn't drag this team to the playoffs. Henry couldn't, Rask couldn't, Dub couldn't. All of them would have career lows on this current team.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No, it's not a weak rationalization. This is basically the same as the plus/minus debate. A player playing on a power play, no matter how good he is, will be on the ice for short-handed goals. A goalie, no matter how good he is, is going to 'blow leads'. The smaller the leads he has, the more he is going to blow. It's a silly comparison to a closer because Schneider doesn't come in during special times - he plays the entire game. In that sense, a goal he gives up during the first period is worth the same as a goal given up in the third period, even if one is at a higher-leverage moment.

Schneider was 5th in the league in this category as a Canuck, by the way.

It also doesn't count for all the saves that keep tie or one goal games from turning into total blowouts.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
He's also scored fewer goals than Brodeur, which is something the Devils could really use.

The idea that Schneider isn't a money goalie is ridiculous. He's hardly played in any money games as a Devil, and those that he did play in were 3 years ago when he was 68th out of 70 in goals scored/60 minutes when he played.

But hey, even managements can be fooled into blaming their best players for their team's struggles, and that's why the Devils have Taylor Hall.

Get Schneider a real offense, then everyone can be convinced of exactly what they believed before.

Maybe if this guy is as good as you seem to think that he would, you know, actually put us on his back and carry us across the finish line? We haven't been 20 points out of playoff position during his tenure with us. Stop making excuses for the guy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe if this guy is as good as you seem to think that he would, you know, actually put us on his back and carry us across the finish line? We haven't been 20 points out of playoff position during his tenure with us. Stop making excuses for the guy.

We haven't been 20 points out of a playoff spot during his tenure with us

Which is why you should thank him. He hasn't been very good this year, but he kept us from being bottom 3-5 the last two years.

We would have needed Carey Price 14-15 level goaltending to make the playoffs those two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad