Tell me what the Lightning SHOULD have done

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's October 2020. The Lightning won the Stanley Cup and we're about 2 weeks out. Julien Brisebois (JBB) has to sign: Erik Cernak, Mikhail Sergachev and Anthony Cirelli.

JBB basically has nothing for cap space. JBB responds by waiving Tyler Johnson hoping somebody bites.

No one does

Tyler Johnson clears waivers, Lightning still need salary cap relief

He waits out the market and nothing happens. Still have to sign the RFA's

JBB Signs Sergachev November 25th 2020. He has to right?

Kucherov reports hip discomfort December 3rd. Team responds with cortisone shots and palliative treatment. It is a well known fact this hip injury is a direct result of a groin injury sustained in game 1 5 OT marathon vs the CBJ in the playoffs. The Lightning are certainly aware of the recovery time necessary if you pursue hip surgery. Hint: it would be a very long time... about 5 or 6 months.

Still up in the air certainly. JBB does not make moves when he is not certain. He has to be careful right? You're not only in cap hell but your best player is not responding to treatment. He probably needs hip surgery.

I mean.... best wait and get a timetable right?

NHL, NHLPA announce plans for 2020-21 season, playoffs

NHL announces season schedule December 20th. Now stop there. JBB still has to Cirelli and Cernak to sign.

You're the GM of the Lightning. Your options are

1. Make Kucherov play on a bad hip --> You therefore gotta blow it up and deal from a bad position
2. Kucherov has surgery --> You blow it up anyway and deal from a bad position
3. Kucherov has surgery --> Re-sign RFA's and let the rest go from there

By December 22nd they go with option 3 and Kucherov has surgery on December 30th with the official announcement being made on the 23rd. They do it after Christmas **shocker**

Lightning's Nikita Kucherov needs hip surgery, out for regular season

Lightning optimistic following Kucherov’s hip surgery

The RFA's re-sign

So I ask you. How does a GM go about options 1 or 2. What do they say to the fans? "We are worried about fair play?" So they deal from a bad position while their star player recovers? Or they make their star player play on a bad hip and risk making it worse AND deal from a bad position?

YOU tell ME what the right thing to do is. If it's cap circumvention show me your homework. The injury was reported almost 3 weeks ahead of any kind of announced schedule. Show me the corrupted master plan and what should've been done differently

Last edited:

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
I hope next year we can break our over the cap record.

On that note do we currently have the league record in that regard in either % or total dollars over?

If not, who do we have to beat?

Reactions: Canadienna

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I want hip surgery like what Kucherov had. That makes me better than what I was before I was ever hurt.
Point got the same kind.

As for what JBB should have done, he should've just shrugged, not even made offers to his RFAs and let other teams just pick up Sergachev and Cirelli for free, then when asked about it say "That was for my peeps on the HFBoards who were so looking forward to the Lightning being demolished by cap hell. Didn't want to upset them!"

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Say this

tenor.gif

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I want hip surgery like what Kucherov had. That makes me better than what I was before I was ever hurt.
This guy last watched Kucherov last watched Kucherov when he was playing with BJ Crombeen.

He was not really close to his usual level when he came back.

Reactions: zeykshade and Hoek

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
lol....if they found way to game the system, more power to them.

Playing to the refs (aka how playoffs are officiated differently from the regular season) is also gaming the system.

Tanking for draft pics...
Using the goalie to capture all dump-ins, causing the creation of the Brodeur rule...
Goalies with oversized pads, and equipment...

You take what you can get!

Reactions: Beneven Stanciano

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Point got the same kind.

As for what JBB should have done, he should've just shrugged, not even made offers to his RFAs and let other teams just pick up Sergachev and Cirelli for free, then when asked about it say "That was for my peeps on the HFBoards who were so looking forward to the Lightning being demolished by cap hell. Didn't want to upset them!"

Shame on them for not doing what hf wanted them to do..

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Exactly what he should have done! What the f*** is wrong with him?! Just give the people what they want.

And I don't know what Brad Marchand is doing not jumping off a cliff yet. And don't get me started on Tom Wilson. Weird people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad