WJC: Televised?

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
MTV3 is suppose to tele it in Finland but with them you never know.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
This is my first WJC with NHL Network, so I'm pretty pumped

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Agreed. I've been in Canada the past two days and the sports coverage here is insane. Not only is there hockey on every night here, you guys televise more football games on Sunday than we do in the states.

That, and TSN Sportscentre whips the **** out of ESPN Sportscenter.

The funny thing is some canadians think espn is far better then tsn.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Agreed. I've been in Canada the past two days and the sports coverage here is insane. Not only is there hockey on every night here, you guys televise more football games on Sunday than we do in the states.

Yeah it's nice not having time shift rules for the networks. So if you have Bell you can get a ton of football games every Sunday. Even on basic cable I can usually get 4 or 5 different day games.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Sadly, I get Sportsnet but not TSN. So TSN shows it for free on their website? That's gonna be awesome but I'll be in the US possibly when it starts so....what website can you watch it on in the US or do you have to stick to the flash streams?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

I would think that with the NFL, it's partly because there is no regional blackouts and it's not like there is one team that everyone watches. If Toronto had an NFL team, I would imagine coverage might be a little different.. well at least in Toronto it would be.

And if you have never seen TSN coverage of the WJC, it's something to behold.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
TSN single handedly took a tournament no one cared about, no one watched, and turned it into something special. Good on TSN. Good for Canadians. :)

You are right.. whoever had this idea is a marketing genius. TSN makes millions every year off this thing and have created a tradition that is similar to HNIC. Imagine, based on the number of people that watched the overtime last year, that is just under on third of this country.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
You are right.. whoever had this idea is a marketing genius. TSN makes millions every year off this thing and have created a tradition that is similar to HNIC. Imagine, based on the number of people that watched the overtime last year, that is just under on third of this country.

On a week day too.
The day of the gold medal game must be the biggest sick day of the year in Canada.

SJFanQC

Dec 14, 2010
Laval
I kind of see it like our own March Madness. I mean, players who are obviously not in their prime and still in developpment but play their hearts out and it attracts a huge audience. And yeah coverage we've got some over here. Obviously there's NHLN and NBC in both countries but in the US there's Versus and that's it. We've got TSN, TSN2, RSN, CBC and well RDS and RIS here but that's not the case for everyone.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

In todays's day and age they must be broadcast somewhere on the web.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I kind of see it like our own March Madness. I mean, players who are obviously not in their prime and still in developpment but play their hearts out and it attracts a huge audience. And yeah coverage we've got some over here. Obviously there's NHLN and NBC in both countries but in the US there's Versus and that's it. We've got TSN, TSN2, RSN, CBC and well RDS and RIS here but that's not the case for everyone.

Indeed. March Madness was probably the inspiration they modeled their WJC covered/project after. Of course there are glaring differences, you rarely get this type of fandom for amateur sports like you get with either. The Little League World Series may be a better comparable.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

To be honest I never understood the March Madness comparison. :)

northstarsforever

Jul 9, 2009
Plano TX by Rugby,ND
This is my first WJC with NHL Network, so I'm pretty pumped

Is it officially on this year? They actually do a pretty good job. Show all the TSN games and have their own coverage for the USA games. Plus this is one of the best times of the year to be a hockey fan (WJC and Winter Classic)

EDIT: Answered my own question:
4:00 PM 2011 World Junior Championship: Russia vs. Canada
6:30 PM Off The Ice: Ryan Miller
7:00 PM A Day That Changed The Game: February 22, 1980
8:00 PM 2011 World Junior Championship: Finland vs. USA

:yo:

Last edited:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Re : TSN ANNOUNCES MULTI-PLATFORM COVERAGE FOR WORLD JUNIORS"

I don't know what that means (I'm too old) but I assume that will help people, outside of Canada, who want to follow this tournament.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
SVT + SVT Play(web) will show Sweden's group matches versus Russia, Czech Republic and Canada, possible Swedish QF, both semis and medal games. So 7 or 8 matches in total.

Re : TSN ANNOUNCES MULTI-PLATFORM COVERAGE FOR WORLD JUNIORS"

I don't know what that means (I'm too old) but I assume that will help people, outside of Canada, who want to follow this tournament.

Probably means they will bring good web and mobile phone coverage along with the television.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The first 5 to 10 minutes of every TSN SportsCenter broadcast is almost exclusive WJR's. God Bless them for pushing this tournament.

Said before, they took a nothing Tournament and turned it into something amazing. LOVE IT!!!

Can't wait.

GO CANADA GO!!!

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Watching from Buffalo

Anyone else watching from the buffalo area?
I have Time Warner Cable. I get MSG, CBC, VS, and ESPN, ESPN2. I don't get NHLN or TSN. Any stations carrying most or all the games. I am interested in all USA, and CANADA games. I can also hook up my laptop to my TV and watch a online stream of games. Any websites that will carry the games live online? Without having to register to the website. Thanks.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
While not wjch releated tsn will aslo be broadcasting the spengler cup.

Dec 27)Canada vs Tbd 2:00 pm Tsn
Dec 28)Canada vs Tbd 5:00 pm Tsn2 (TapeDelay)
Dec 29)Quarter-Final 1 9:00 am Tsn2
Dec 29)Quarter-Final 2 2:00 pm Tsn2
Dec 30)Semi-Final 1 9:00 am Tsn2
Dec 30)Semi-Final 2 2:00 pm Tsn2
Dec 31)Championship 6:30 am Tsn

Fakey123

Jan 27, 2009
While not wjch releated tsn will aslo be broadcasting the spengler cup.

Dec 27)Canada vs Tbd 2:00 pm Tsn
Dec 28)Canada vs Tbd 5:00 pm Tsn2 (TapeDelay)
Dec 29)Quarter-Final 1 9:00 am Tsn2
Dec 29)Quarter-Final 2 2:00 pm Tsn2
Dec 30)Semi-Final 1 9:00 am Tsn2
Dec 30)Semi-Final 2 2:00 pm Tsn2
Dec 31)Championship 6:30 am Tsn

Ah nice.. Did SportsNet lose the rights or something? Rogers always used to broadcast the Spengler.. Anyway I'm happy, I love the Spengler.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I love the Spengler Cup, too. It's an extremely underrated tournament. But if Sportsnet's not doing the Spengler this year does that mean we don't get Paul Romanuk? Just wouldn't be the same without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad