Teemu Selanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Right now Crosby is the best player this season and leads the League with 75 Points in 69 games. He also leads the League in point per game with 1.08. But when you compare Crosby to 40 year old Selanne in 2010-11, Teemu had 76 points after playing 69 games. That gave Teemu a point per game of 1.10 after 69 games. So that would indicate that 40 year old Teemu Selanne was better than any forward this season. That can't be right, can it?

Lets take a closer look. Crosby has 24+51=75 points in his 69 games. Selanne had 28+48=76 points in his first 69 games back in 10-11. Crosby has 24 secondary assists this season while Selanne had 19 secondary assists after 69 games. So you can't argue that Teemu picked up more secondary assists. Crosby has missed time this season to the mumps which has hurt his game, but Selanne missed more time to a groin injury back in 10-11. So you can't argue that the difference is injury either. But what about linemates you ask? Crosby has played mostly with Patric Hornqvist, Chris Kunitz and David Perron. While Selanne played with over the hill linemates like Saku Koivu and Jason Blake. So you really can't argue linemates either. And it's not possible to argue that Selanne got to play with Getzlaf on the powerplay, because Crosby has Malkin and Malkin is easily > Getzlaf. And you can't argue league scoring levels either since the 2010-11 season was the first season when scoring started to drop considerably, and the difference between 10-11 and 14-15 is negligible at best. But what about icetime? Crosby has an average icetime of 19:59 minutes per game this season. Selanne had an average icetime of 17:56 minutes per game back in 10-11. So Selanne scored more with 2 minutes less icetime.

So if my math is correct 40 year old Teemu Selanne was better than any forward this season. What's the conclusion of this? Is Selanne's 10-11 underrated? Or is every forward this season overrated? Should Selanne return for next season?

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
Edit: you're 100% correct. Selanne is the best player in the world right now.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
This was written in a way that implies it's not a joke, which is extremely confusing. I don't know what's going on any more.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
It doesn't take into consideration that scoring is at a low point this year.

Only 4-5 players are above PPG.

Only 2 players are actually above PPG in the top 10, and one is PPG.

In 2010-2011, 9 out of 10 players finished above PPG in the top 10. The last one finished PPG.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I truly hope this is a joke. Scoring in the NHL is way down.

Crosby season is ****ing impressive considering he isn't even playing to his abilities and still manages to be leading the pack (so far). This season should crush all doubts about him not being the best player in the world.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I truly hope this is a joke. Scoring in the NHL is way down.

Crosby season is ****ing impressive considering he isn't even playing to his abilities and still manages to be leading the pack (so far). This season should crush all doubts about him not being the best player in the world.

Then why can't he outscore a 40 year old Teemu Selanne?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Why would his point total from 5 years ago have any bearing on whether or not he should make a return next year?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
OK, taking into account that scoring is down, I'd say that it would be reasonable to say that the 40-year-old Selanne was at least nearly as good as Crosby has been this Season.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I have more points per game than both in my Beer League.

Mathematically, I am the best.

Sign me up for next season...I'm sure I can survive well into my first shift, possibly even making it back to the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad