Recalled/Assigned: Teemu Pulkkinen

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That may be your opinion (and a much more reasoned one than outright declarations that Nyquist is a superstar as was the case earlier in the year) but for a lot of folks in the hockey world, Nyquist is an untouchable while Tatar is an easy piece to part with. That is bunk, IMO, and a lot of it has to do with the size factor. Look no further than how far Tatar's defensive game has come or his goals scored in just 6 months and how little it has done to convince people that the gap between Nyquist and Tatar is much closer to being negligible than it is truly discernible.

I still think Nyquist will be an all-star, or star caliber player. I post a lot and maybe got overzealous in a particular post, but I don't attach superstar often. Like for instance I have never considered Rick Nash a superstar player. Star player and Superstar player is a different deal for me. I do think Nyquist while not the same guy will be similar to Loui Eriksson in Dallas in terms of what he is for the rest of his twenties starting next year. A consistent 70 point winger, very good defensively, with and exceptional hockey IQ. That is what I expect, the assists are starting to flood in here lately. He just has a big offensive ceiling, he anticipates things so well.

I will say again and I think people don't often believe me, my evaluation and preference for Nyquist in this debate isn't because I think Tatar is a bad hockey player. I like Tatar a great deal, he has come a long ways in his development in a lot of areas defensively and using his teammates offensively. I just think he is going to be streakier cat like most goal scorers when all is said and done. He does do a wonderful job of driving possession. There is a ton to like, I just flat out prefer Nyquist who I also think is being groomed for a leadership role in Detroit.

I would stay the course, but realistically if we want a trade for a Top 4 RD. I cannot see that deal getting done without one of Tatar, Jurco, and Pulkkinen as a major part of the deal. Once that is happening we can pretty sure we get the best value out of Tatar in terms of not paying the price in other additional pieces to make it happen.

I don't have the same expectations as other people around here. I am not overly distraught with how the rebuild on the fly is going. I don't see this as we are harming Z and D towards the end. I like what is happening, but if we want to talk about some of the pieces other people do around here often, rather than offering up garbage that has no realistic point of happening I will often include Tatar or our first round pick this year. I think those are the two assets that we could part with and stomach long-term if we are in that big of a hurry to pull a deal and get appropriate value. We will see.

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
I'm not so sure this is true. They are all respectively showing a ton of promise.

Tatar and Nyquist look like they can legitimately be perennial 30 goal guys. Then you have Pulkkinen... Does anyone on the team have a better slap shot? No. Does anyone on the team have a better wrist shot? Maybe not. Are you going to bet against a guy with that in his arsenal? I don't know that you can.

They may make an exception for 3 guys under 6 feet that are as good as these guys, if they can't find a reasonable trade.

I think one will get traded though.. If Mantha really develops as expected and breaks into the NHL as a 30 goal scorer and good power forward, we have 3 RW's in Nyquist, Pulkkinen and Mantha. I could see them trade away one of them for a 1C in a few years if all pan out the way we expect them to.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think one will get traded though.. If Mantha really develops as expected and breaks into the NHL as a 30 goal scorer and good power forward, we have 3 RW's in Nyquist, Pulkkinen and Mantha. I could see them trade away one of them for a 1C in a few years if all pan out the way we expect them to.

I'm pretty sure all those guys can play both wings no problem.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
That may be your opinion (and a much more reasoned one than outright declarations that Nyquist is a superstar as was the case earlier in the year) but for a lot of folks in the hockey world, Nyquist is an untouchable while Tatar is an easy piece to part with. That is bunk, IMO, and a lot of it has to do with the size factor. Look no further than how far Tatar's defensive game has come or his goals scored in just 6 months and how little it has done to convince people that the gap between Nyquist and Tatar is much closer to being negligible than it is truly discernible.

Agreed I find Nyquist and Tatar to be very equal.

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
I still think Nyquist will be an all-star, or star caliber player....I will often include Tatar or our first round pick this year.

We could get a lot for a 1st+ (Jurco) + Kindl (salary dump/cheap #5/6 for some team) ...should be enough to land a MIKE GREEN

Yandle would probably cost more, but he is LD & average defensively, (we don't need either);

Myers...meh, overpriced & a 3 year slump...

Zidlicky....cheap alternative if we miss out on MIKE GREEN

we can afford to lose Jurco since PULK/ Mantha/ AA knocking...

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
Those massive slapshots would look better if on net. I think he was trying to overshoot it

This happens every time we all actually watch him (WJHC, his last call-up). We watch highlights all the time and say "Wow, is that shot ever accurate!" Then we actually watch him play a game and it's all "OMG! He can't hit the net!"

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
This happens every time we all actually watch him (WJHC, his last call-up). We watch highlights all the time and say "Wow, is that shot ever accurate!" Then we actually watch him play a game and it's all "OMG! He can't hit the net!"

Hmm... Maybe you should watch him play in GR? :sarcasm:

He'll adapt if given time to do so.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Hmm... Maybe you should watch him play in GR? :sarcasm:

He'll adapt if given time to do so.

I think so, he looked pretty good for his first game of the year. He didn't force it unnecessarily. He passed instead of shooting when it was clear he was going to be blocked. Wish out D would do that at times. Seems like we have more blocked shots than anyone.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Liked what I saw from Pulks, looked better than last year.

I liked how even though he's small he doesn't have an issue being physical. Saw him a few times finish his checks, instead of just doing a drive-by, which is what I feel like most players on the team do. Also as has been stated a lot, his skating really is not an issue at all I don't think. Basically, don't see an issue with him being a bottom 6'er if necessary with a roster squeeze, because I think he has some versatility.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I felt he passed in some instances where he could have shot but yeah he really ripped hard iat it a few times. I was very pleased with his effort and you can see the heart he plays with. Reminds me of Tatar in that aspect (obviously very different playstyles). Honestly, thats what I love to see. Guys give it there all. Part of the reason I loved watching Glendenning even last year.

I think when he probably goes down once Franzen returns. Jurco can fit on the 4th and probably provide a nice scoring touch but I am not neccessarily sure that position is for Pulkinnen. I hope he gets a few weeks worth of games but I reckon he will get 2 or 3 more before being sent back down.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
My only issue with how Pulkkinen played last night was his tendency to tap his stick on the ice when he wanted the puck.

That's always been a pet peeve of mine, generally all you do is let the defence know you're open and where the puck is going.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My only issue with how Pulkkinen played last night was his tendency to tap his stick on the ice when he wanted the puck.

That's always been a pet peeve of mine, generally all you do is let the defence know you're open and where the puck is going.

Yeah that needs to stop at this level, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if one of the guys told him that last night on the plane. At this level if you stay open you will be found 9 out of 10 times, if you beaver tap you will be covered 9 out of 10 times as well.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Tats still does that occasionally. You can see him when we're breaking out and he's curling around. He's giving the dman a deathstare and taps his stick a few times like "I WANT IT RIGHT NOW WHY DON'T I HAVE IT GIVE IT TO ME."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad