Signing(s): Teddy Bridgewater to Lions

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
About damn time this happened. Love it for the Lions, huge upgrade on Sudfeld.

Reactions: izlez

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hooker is going to start the season on the NFI list, so they may opt to leave him there as he redshirts the season.
Hooker got hurt late in the Ten season. At best he would be ready to take snaps mid season but without a camp or pre season against pros. Best to just red shirt him than toss him into the fire with no live nfl reps.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hooker got hurt late in the Ten season. At best he would be ready to take snaps mid season but without a camp or pre season against pros. Best to just red shirt him than toss him into the fire with no live nfl reps.
He has been on the field after practices dropping back and making throws. That's not the same as being cleared to play, since that's not live snaps, and the NFI list requires him to miss the first 8 games, but he sounds like he's ahead of schedule, at least that was the word around the draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He has been on the field after practices dropping back and making throws. That's not the same as being cleared to play, since that's not live snaps, and the NFI list requires him to miss the first 8 games, but he sounds like he's ahead of schedule, at least that was the word around the draft.
Asking way too much to have your first nfl speed rep during the season. (though pre season vs non starters isn’t the same as a regular season snap). It’s at least something for him.

But he’d only get into a game if Goff was hurt or for mop up duty in a blow out. Detroit isn’t expected to be a sub 0.500 team where you expect them to play a rookie QB and see what he has for next season at some point.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Asking way too much to have your first nfl speed rep during the season. (though pre season vs non starters isn’t the same as a regular season snap). It’s at least something for him.

But he’d only get into a game if Goff was hurt or for mop up duty in a blow out. Detroit isn’t expected to be a sub 0.500 team where you expect them to play a rookie QB and see what he has for next season at some point.
Given the injury, it's fine to commit to not playing him since he can't play anyways. That's why I took him in the mock draft, he's an exception to my rule of getting guys on the field. But if the Lions season goes off the cliff - after all, they are the Lions, and he is cleared, I could definitely see him on the field in games, as he's doing everything else. Once the season begins, you have to open the practice window 4 weeks before you can play, so they will watch that because even if he doesn't play, they will still want him to practice if he can. Next season though, he needs to be on the field with the 1's, games played or not.

And actually, according to the NFL's website, he could return in 4 weeks if he were designated to return on August 31. Also, you don't get paid while on the NFI list.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Given the injury, it's fine to commit to not playing him since he can't play anyways. That's why I took him in the mock draft, he's an exception to my rule of getting guys on the field. But if the Lions season goes off the cliff - after all, they are the Lions, and he is cleared, I could definitely see him on the field in games, as he's doing everything else. Once the season begins, you have to open the practice window 4 weeks before you can play, so they will watch that because even if he doesn't play, they will still want him to practice if he can. Next season though, he needs to be on the field with the 1's, games played or not.

And actually, according to the NFL's website, he could return in 4 weeks if he were designated to return on August 31. Also, you don't get paid while on the NFI list.
Odd that it's declared a NFI, since he tore his ACL in a college game. Guess anything that was pre-NFL sanctioned activity is considered a NFI. So, Williamson was the same situation until he returned to the field last season too. ACL in the Championship game.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Odd that it's declared a NFI, since he tore his ACL in a college game. Guess anything that was pre-NFL sanctioned activity is considered a NFI. So, Williamson was the same situation until he returned to the field last season too. ACL in the Championship game.
Yes, that’s right. College injuries that linger are considered non-football.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad