Signing(s): Teddy Bridgewater signs with Panthers (3 years, $63 million)

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
:baghead::baghead:

I'm okay moving on from Newton, but not for f***ing Teddy "Human Embodiment of Mediocre" Bridgewater

This will cost us a top 5-10 pick and a shot at drafting a real QB next season.

3 years, 60 million dollars? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Please kill me.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The Panthers must be really impressed with Bridgewater's ability to get the f*** out of McCaffrey's way.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
This move is confusing. I guess they want McCaffery to have an okay QB but I also thought if they were going to part ways with Cam, that they would swing a deal to draft Tua or Burrow. This makes the Panthers seem content with spinning the 7-9 hamster wheel. If thats the case then CMC ought to be traded before his prime washes away.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This move is confusing. I guess they want McCaffery to have an okay QB but I also thought if they were going to part ways with Cam, that they would swing a deal to draft Tua or Burrow. This makes the Panthers seem content with spinning the 7-9 hamster wheel. If thats the case then CMC ought to be traded before his prime washes away.
Tua likely won’t play this year. Could end up like Houston and give a top 5 pick the following year. And if things fall a certain way it could be a Lawrence or Fields if the top is in the top 2.

Teddy is a game manager. But if he’s pressed to make 30 throws a game consistently that’s not a good sign.

cam when healthy is better but that’s a big of these days.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It's not like Teddy is a paragon of health himself. Behind the Panthers' porous OL, he's a sitting duck and he'll probably blow out a knee again, especially considering his last one wasn't even a contact injury.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Bridgewater won 5 games as a starter for the Saints. in two of those games, he threw 0 TD passes.

I like Teddy. He seems like a good guy and it's nice to see him get a fat pay day after that horrifying leg injury, but man this move has "Osweiler to the Texans" written all over it. If you're gonna throw that much cash at a very unproven starter, you may as well let Cam ride out the remainder of his deal and see if he can regain his old form.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bridgewater won 5 games as a starter for the Saints. in two of those games, he threw 0 TD passes.

I like Teddy. He seems like a good guy and it's nice to see him get a fat pay day after that horrifying leg injury, but man this move has "Osweiler to the Texans" written all over it. If you're gonna throw that much cash at a very unproven starter, you may as well let Cam ride out the remainder of his deal and see if he can regain his old form.
A 3 year deal likely means year 1 is guaranteed. Likely year 2 isn’t. Carolina would eat a small dead cap charge if he were to be cut. See in the structure of the deal. Maybe he gets like a $6 mill signing bonus and then 15/16 mill in base for year 1. Then they would eat a $4 mill dead cap if they finish at the bottom and draft a QB in 2021.

never forget than nfl contracts are not guaranteed like nhl ones. Teams can get out of them by year 2 most of the time. Teams tighter to the cap likely have more dead cap hit later when they cut the player. If you have cap space you guarantee more base salary and then can walk away later.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Carolina is going to tear the whole thing down anyways. If not this year, they’re going to draft a QB next year. Bridgewater is just going to hold them over, and if he wins then that’s a bonus.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Bridgewater at least has 2 seasons as a starter. Osweiler had like 7 games.

The problem with keeping Newton is hes used goods at this point. Why pay him 20 million or whatever he makes just to be a little better than Bridgewater and also hurt your draft position?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Is cam done now? I can't see any teams wanting him , MAYBE as a backup ,would his ego allow that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad