Value of: Teddy Blueger

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He has 3C upside and I can't see the Penguins looking to move him considering he only makes $750k a year. This is especially true with McCann playing so badly that he's getting healthy scratched in the playoffs.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Probably safe to say his value isn't high enough to make moving him worthwhile to the Pens. Not to overvalue his role, but he's pretty ideal as a 4C on a contender. Cheap, responsible, great on the PK, and enough offensive upside to not be a waste in the offensive zone. There also isn't a 4C knocking on the door from WBS, meaning the Pens would have to either spend more of the cap or other assets just to replace him.

He has 3C upside. Considering the Penguins also have a 3C issue his continued employment by the Pittsburgh Penguins is a fairly safe assumption.

I'm also a sucker for Latvians, so Blueger's slow percolation through the system has been fun to watch for me. Definitely overdrafted in 2012 considering how raw he was, but considering how piss-poor that draft wound up being it's turned out better than just about anyone imagined (most of the guys picked around Blueger in the late 2nd round never sniffed the NHL and I only see 2 names I'd be confident taking ahead of Blueger at this point in time out of the ~20 guys taken after him). The Pens were pretty adamant about their development plan with him. Blueger should have replaced Sheahan sooner than he did, but in the long-term I think the extra development was good for Blueger's offensive game. I definitely saw Blueger as more of a pure 4C ahead of him putting up really good offensive numbers in a bigger role in the AHL prior to his call-up (39 points in 45 games for a WBS team whose leading scorer wound up with 50 in 74). All of this is just to say that whatever Blueger's trade value is to another team isn't going to be worth it to the Pens. His value isn't high enough for it to be worth dealing him without there being a lot of moving parts involved...never say never with JR, but trading Teddy for picks accomplishes absolutely nothing for the Pens at this point in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonDemersIsOkay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad