Player Discussion Teddy Blueger and Pius Suter

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
I like almost everything he's done so far.

I expected him to be a very blunt instrument type but he's more intelligent than I gave him credit for, and it's so nice to actually have people talking about standards and accountability for the first time in a decade.

Arizona had really good defensive/PK records with him there but couldn't score. But was their personnel ever going to score much with any coach?
Yeah that’s been my feeling too. He’s shocked me to be a much more cerebral coach than I thought he would have been. I was a little hesitant on Foote given his not great coaching resume, but hearing from players how he’s helped them along with Gonchar is great.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah that’s been my feeling too. He’s shocked me to be a much more cerebral coach than I thought he would have been. I was a little hesitant on Foote given his not great coaching resume, but hearing from players how he’s helped them along with Gonchar is great.

Yeah, same on Foote. His stint in Kelowna wasn't great ... but then maybe he's just one of those guys who is better suited as an assistant. It's interesting that this is his first assistant coaching job at any significant level of hockey - he held a bunch of jobs in the Avalanche organization for several years and then went straight to being a WHL head coach.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yeah, same on Foote. His stint in Kelowna wasn't great ... but then maybe he's just one of those guys who is better suited as an assistant. It's interesting that this is his first assistant coaching job at any significant level of hockey - he held a bunch of jobs in the Avalanche organization for several years and then went straight to being a WHL head coach.

Had typed out the exact same thing. I said this earlier with Boudreau but a hugely underrated part of team cohesion is the assistant coaches. Having a coaching unit that compliments and works well together instead of the patchwork that we've seen for years is huge. Defined roles and focuses for everyone. There's no confusion for players over who they can turn to for help or advice.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Had typed out the exact same thing. I said this earlier with Boudreau but a hugely underrated part of team cohesion is the assistant coaches. Having a coaching unit that compliments and works well together instead of the patchwork that we've seen for years is huge. Defined roles and focuses for everyone. There's no confusion for players over who they can turn to for help or advice.

Yeah, I think back to a guy like Rick Ley who was a great assistant coach here and then absolutely lost as the head coach. Dave Lewis in Detroit is another one.

It's a totally different thing being 'the guy' making the decisions than it is to be the good cop working with the players behind the scenes and being a guy leaned on for advice by the head coach. Maybe it just took Foote some time to find his niche.

And yeah, seems like the most cohesive coaching group we've had here since the AV years. But almost everything right now about the organization is 'best since 2013'.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Yeah, I think back to a guy like Rick Ley who was a great assistant coach here and then absolutely lost as the head coach. Dave Lewis in Detroit is another one.

It's a totally different thing being 'the guy' making the decisions than it is to be the good cop working with the players behind the scenes and being a guy leaned on for advice by the head coach. Maybe it just took Foote some time to find his niche.

And yeah, seems like the most cohesive coaching group we've had here since the AV years. But almost everything right now about the organization is 'best since 2013'.
Honestly I thought I was going to be a lot more annoyed at Yeo sticking around given my irrational dislike of him from his previous jobs, but I think even he’s doing well with the PK..

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Maybe the most impressive thing is that three of Rutherford-Allvin's most important UFA signings weren't even in the lineup last night--Blueger, Mikheyev and Soucy.

And as far as Canuck coaching is concerned, it isn't all on Tocchet. Gonchar, Foote and Yeo might be one of the most experienced and solid assistant coaching groups in team history. You can already see the impact Foot-Gonchar are having on the Canuck blueline.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It’s strange because he’s never been particularly good at face-offs, yet to start the season he’s over 78%.

It's obviously not sustainable. I think Dickinson started last year winning over 50% of his faceoffs for while. But generally faceoffs is something players improve on. Bonino was like that too. Got to Nashville and started winning more of his faceoffs.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's obviously not sustainable. I think Dickinson started last year winning over 50% of his faceoffs for while. But generally faceoffs is something players improve on. Bonino was like that too. Got to Nashville and started winning more of his faceoffs.

It was talked a lot this off-season, I think in a bunch of Crosby and Bedard pieces, how face-offs is pretty much the only skill that doesn’t erode but improves.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It was talked a lot this off-season, I think in a bunch of Crosby and Bedard pieces, how face-offs is pretty much the only skill that doesn’t erode but improves.

Ya it's why I don't get how some Cs can be below 46% for years and years. I'm hoping Petey can make the jump in faceoff proficiency.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
It's good to hear Suter is playing well, but the first 2 games I don't recall the announcer mentioning his name once.

Blueger misses a lot of games. Not sure how much we can count on him this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad