Ted Talks (the Ted Nolan talk thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
That said, I'm still happy to see Nolan go. He's the object of my stress personified. I'll feel way better about it in a week or two.

As am I. Nolan conceded at his hiring that he'd take it 1 day at a time and that he only looked ahead to the next day and be grateful for it, rather than dwell on the long-term picture. He knew he was there to help steer the rebuild process in the right direction - which he succeeded in. Obviously, he'll take a firing hard but he can hang his head high when he leaves.

What I hope is that, after Nolan leaves, the rightful impatience he held for the chronically-poor work habits of Hodgson, Zadorov and Grigorenko isn't forgotten or brushed aside by Murray and the new coach moving forward. I respected Nolan for coming down hard on those 3 frequent offenders and hope that Murray saw them in the same light.

YoungGrapes

Feb 12, 2015
To the poster that said said Hitchcock and Tippett would of done way better due to x's and o's then Nolan did with this roster is an absolute LAUGH. Hitchcock has one of the best offensive teams in the league with the players he has Oshie, Backus, Steen, Stastny, Tarasenko, Schwartz. Buffalo's top player Ennis would most likely be on the third there, thats comparing apples to oranges. As far as Tippet goes they finished with 9 more goals total.

The problem with Sabres power play to me is simple. Look around the NHL, even the teams out of the playoffs TOR, LA, BOS, EDM, FLA and so I won't go through every team but if you take their 5 top players (most teams 4 forwards and 1 D) on the power play obviously they create goals on pure talent and systems. The sabres top power player was Moulson (13 goals) Ennis (20 goals) Girgensons (15 goals) Ristolainin (8 goals) Bogosian (0 goals). If you look at team lets say Carolina at least the have the Staal brothers Semin, Skinner, Faulk. When you have junk players to work with your power play is going to be junk.

The PK is the same, Foligno/Gionta/Delsauirs/Kaleta/Ellis all used on PK none are even solid PKers. Their two best PK's Flynn and Mitchell were traded at the deadline. That coupled with having to play Mezaros/Strachan/Weber/Bogosian/Benoit holy **** no system would shut down other teams top 5 players.

The NHL has the best players in the world plain and simple, when there is such gap in overall players on both teams coaching isn't going to make a big difference. Scotty Bowman or Mike Babcock couldn't of made this a playoff team. I would laugh if GMTM fired the staff and saw a team like Toronto for instance hire Nolan and company due to the fact he gets the most out of his teams.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Nolan only got this job because of his buddy LaLa, no other way he would've ever coached in the NHL again.

His time as NHL coach has come and gone. I doubt any other team gives this guy a chance.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
To the poster that said said Hitchcock and Tippett would of done way better due to x's and o's then Nolan did with this roster is an absolute LAUGH. Hitchcock has one of the best offensive teams in the league with the players he has Oshie, Backus, Steen, Stastny, Tarasenko, Schwartz. Buffalo's top player Ennis would most likely be on the third there, thats comparing apples to oranges. As far as Tippet goes they finished with 9 more goals total.

The problem with Sabres power play to me is simple. Look around the NHL, even the teams out of the playoffs TOR, LA, BOS, EDM, FLA and so I won't go through every team but if you take their 5 top players (most teams 4 forwards and 1 D) on the power play obviously they create goals on pure talent and systems. The sabres top power player was Moulson (13 goals) Ennis (20 goals) Girgensons (15 goals) Ristolainin (8 goals) Bogosian (0 goals). If you look at team lets say Carolina at least the have the Staal brothers Semin, Skinner, Faulk. When you have junk players to work with your power play is going to be junk.

The PK is the same, Foligno/Gionta/Delsauirs/Kaleta/Ellis all used on PK none are even solid PKers. Their two best PK's Flynn and Mitchell were traded at the deadline. That coupled with having to play Mezaros/Strachan/Weber/Bogosian/Benoit holy **** no system would shut down other teams top 5 players.

The NHL has the best players in the world plain and simple, when there is such gap in overall players on both teams coaching isn't going to make a big difference. Scotty Bowman or Mike Babcock couldn't of made this a playoff team. I would laugh if GMTM fired the staff and saw a team like Toronto for instance hire Nolan and company due to the fact he gets the most out of his teams.

Look at the job Tippett has done with a WORSE roster in Phoenix. Note how they are able to sustain a forecheck, still have adequate special teams. Now, the lack of skill comes in their INABILITY to put the puck in the net on a consistent basis. Heck, even look in Calgary. Our start of the season forward roster is at least comparable. THere's legit NHL talent here. We certainly don't have the high end quality or the depth. With the changes made in preseason, I predicted an improvement in offensive production and a drop in defense/goaltending

2014: 157 GF, 248 GA
2015: 161 GF, 274 GA

The offense should have improved MUCH more given the talent additions and development of Girgensons. The system and coaching held this team back. Every conceivable advanced stats says the sabres issue is they spend too much time in their own zone. Yet the team refused to deviate from the 1-2-2. That's on the coaching staff. It really is.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
While it will never happen because he has too much pride, Teddy would be a great fit in Rochester. He could instil a strong work ethic in the kids and make them believe in themselves. While the Sabres need to go in a different direction, the Amerks would be a perfect landing spot for Ted. Again, it won't happen.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
While it will never happen because he has too much pride, Teddy would be a great fit in Rochester. He could instil a strong work ethic in the kids and make them believe in themselves. While the Sabres need to go in a different direction, the Amerks would be a perfect landing spot for Ted. Again, it won't happen.

I thought the same thing.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Nolan is a great coach if you want to build the 1994-2004 NJ Devils.

Everyone is basically the same, with all two-way lines playing the trapping system

In that model, hustle and effort can get you a bunch of 2-1 and 3-2 wins.

Assume Buffalo didn't finish top 5 worst, drafted Werenski, then traded Grigorenko for O'Reilly (basis of deal). And assume Murray doesn't make the Kane trade.

Larsson - O'Reilly - Stafford
Foligno - Girgensons - Ennis
Moulson - Reinhart - Gionta
Deslauriers - Schaller - Carrier

Zadorov - Myers
Sekera - Ristolainen
Weber - Gorges

That is the type of team Nolan wins with. But Murray is building a slightly different team, and Nolan's way isn't the right fit.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
It's been nice having you, hopefully you were leasing or had a rental. You're on your way out. Before the day is bright, there must be the night. Nolan's era ended before it began. Good luck, Sir.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I don't see why this is even a debate.

Nolan was the tank coach, brought in to give a tanking roster a veneer of respectability and an appearance of competitiveness.

The tank is done, and therefore so is Nolan. Time to bring in a real coach for the next phase. I'm sure Murray has a few in mind.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I don't see why this is even a debate.

Nolan was the tank coach, brought in to give a tanking roster a veneer of respectability and an appearance of competitiveness.

The tank is done, and therefore so is Nolan. Time to bring in a real coach for the next phase. I'm sure Murray has a few in mind.

Nolan still here?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Is it weird not to hear from Nolan on Locker Clean Out Day?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
IF Nolan is gone... I mean, if that decision truly has already been made and the decision is that he's gone...

What's the right or appropriate timing for the announcement?

Right after the season ending game as though 30th wasn't the goal, is entirely unacceptable, and Nolan's entirely responsible for the unacceptable? Nah.

But how far later? I mean, how long does a boss put someone thru the waiting game when "everyone knows" what's going to happen. It wouldn't be doing right by Nolan to keep him on that waiting game branch too long.

Presuming TM intends to replace coaches but isn't under pressure to do the replacement signing, I'd expect him to the firing and announce the replacement just before or just after the draft, so that the draft itself helped to deflect any negative kick back for the decision.

Conversely, if TM doesn't intend to fire Nolan, I'd expect him to make that announcement very clear and very public within days (or hours) from now. Just as it's not right to leave a guy waiting for the ax, it's not right to leave a guy dangling waiting for the affirmation to be public.

So, if we don't hear an affirmation of Nolan's retainment within the next few days, I'd expect he's fired and it's merely a matter of public relations timing + when the replacement is able to sign.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Honestly if we get Babcock along with a solid draft behind our first pick, I will scream like a little girl.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Just a gut feeling but I think Nolan is relieved of his duties before Murray addresses the media tomorrow or Tuesday. Murray could then avoid those uncomfortable questions of if he is keeping Nolan moving forward.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
The golf gang here just started a wager: who gets gone from the Sabres first, Nolan or Hodgson.

I'm 50-50 on Nolan so had to bet on Hodgson shipped before Nolan is fired. Figure that means I lose $200 if Nolan is fired at all, cuz it would likely happen before TM can package Hodgson in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad