Ted Lindsay by today's standards

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
It's hard to say. I don't know if there has been a player just like Lindsay since... well... Lindsay. Maybe Ken Linseman or Pat Verbeek might have been cut from a similar cloth.

One thing about Lindsay that made him such an interesting guy was that he really seemed to enjoy a good fight... be it with the other team, the owners, or with the HOF.

One of my favourite stories about him was that when he was inducted into the HOF in the early '70's, the ceremony was still a "stag" event (no women invited or allowed... unless they were entertainment, I'm guessing). Lindsay refused to go unless his wife could could also attend. I can't find the quote, but something along the lines of "she's the one who had to put up with me, win or lose..."

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It's hard to say. I don't know if there has been a player just like Lindsay since... well... Lindsay. Maybe Ken Linseman or Pat Verbeek might have been cut from a similar cloth.

One thing about Lindsay that made him such an interesting guy was that he really seemed to enjoy a good fight... be it with the other team, the owners, or with the HOF.

One of my favourite stories about him was that when he was inducted into the HOF in the early '70's, the ceremony was still a "stag" event (no women invited or allowed... unless they were entertainment, I'm guessing). Lindsay refused to go unless his wife could could also attend. I can't find the quote, but something along the lines of "she's the one who had to put up with me, win or lose..."

I can see the Verbeek comparison. But Lindsay was still meaner and would spear a man to win the Cup. Verbeek was a fine player but he never led the league in scoring either, Lindsay did.

By the way, hard to believe the ceremony for the HHOF would be a "stag" event. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. "Here's your HF plaque and here's a girl for you her name is Desiree.........."

Maybe the party after was a little less informal is that what you mean? I can see that. Lindsay made the HHOF in 1966, so that was the year of his quote I guess

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I may have been stretching the stag thing as far as the "entertainment" went... although I have heard some colourful Harold Ballard stories.

Anyway...

The story, as I understand it, was that, although the HOF induction ceremony wasn't the big gala it is now, there was a celebratory banquet... but wives, girlfriends, sisters, mothers (etc.) were not invited, and not welcome. Men only. It was this rule that Lindsay challenged. They wouldn't let him bring his wife to share in the honour, so he stayed home.

They changed the rule the next year.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I may have been stretching the stag thing as far as the "entertainment" went... although I have heard some colourful Harold Ballard stories.

Anyway...

The story, as I understand it, was that, although the HOF induction ceremony wasn't the big gala it is now, there was a celebratory banquet... but wives, girlfriends, sisters, mothers (etc.) were not invited, and not welcome. Men only. It was this rule that Lindsay challenged. They wouldn't let him bring his wife to share in the honour, so he stayed home.

They changed the rule the next year.

This is definitely a true story. I read it recently myself - possibly an interview with Lindsay on the HOF's own site.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad