NHL Ted Lindsay, 1925-2019

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...ted-lindsay-dies-detroit-red-wings/579477002/

The great Ted Lindsay, "Terrible Ted," has died. Ted (like another undersized player we all know) was hated in every rink but his own. All professional hockey players owe him a huge debt of gratitude. If you don't know that story, look it up.

I was fortunate to meet Ted a few times when attending Red Wings games in the late 1970s. Once, running through a concourse like a fool, I even ran into him. Literally.

For those who want to learn more about this extraordinary man, check

legends of hockey ted lindsay - YouTube

Rest in peace, Ted. You gave them everything you had.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
One of the all time greats. What he tried to do for the players by forming an early version of a union/association and the price he paid for it was never truly appreciated by his peers because of how he played.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
One of the all time greats. What he tried to do for the players by forming an early version of a union/association and the price he paid for it was never truly appreciated by his peers because of how he played.

Ted Lindsay and the life of taking on the good fight

“I hated to lose,” Lindsay tells The Athletic, while sipping his merlot. “If you were my opposition, there was only going to be one winner. You’re going to be on your ass most of the night. I ran into some pretty good men, strong men. But I found out they bleed same as I do.”

Me Too,

“It’s so typical of dad and his determination to do the right thing,” said his daughter Lynn LaPaugh. “He assumed his mom, my mom and us kids would be able to attend his induction to the Hall of Fame. He was told, ‘This is a stag event. Men only.’ Dad said, ‘I’m not going. Do you have any idea what my family has put up for years for me to play hockey?’”

The next year, the rule changed.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In the 1950's with the advent of TV, you had 3 Canadian teams - Montreal, Toronto and *Detroit - and the weak sisters - New York, Chicago and Boston.

Detroit was considered Canadian because the CBC used to show Red Wings games on Channel 9 in Windsor where the transmitter was 1 mile from downtown Detroit.

Lindsay was banished to Chicago when he tried to form a players union as the Red Wings controlled not only Detroit but also New York and Chicago. The Bruins did what Norris wanted and in return, the Garden would get the occasional nationally televised boxing match.

I only knew him as a broadcaster on the NBC Game of the Week in the 70's

This is a painful video for Bruins fans to watch but if you listen you can hear Lindsay was disgusted at how Referee Art Scov called that game.

53020275_10217274946838413_747052996419911680_o.jpg

Last edited:

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I'm too young to have experienced Ted Lindsay, but there are few who made a bigger impact on hockey. His work on behalf of the players in taking the first step to what is now the NHLPA alone is an important step.

He actually was the cause of a forfeit in the only minor league game he played. He was a rookie in 1944-45, when there were still wartime player shortages. In late October, he was sent down to the Wings' AHL affiliate in Indianapolis, played a game in Hershey, had an assist and took two penalties, as the Wings' season hadn't yet started.. But the AHL, at the time, had a "no ringers" rule that required any player assigned to be on the roster for two weeks. Lindsay was recalled and in the lineup for Opening Night and thus, the AHL ruled the game be forfeited for using a "ringer." It wiped out not just his assist, but also a four-goal game by a teammate.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Read Net Worth, I have never seen the CBC movie that was based on it but if you read that book and don't have anything but respect and admiration I dont know what to say. Lindsay played the right way and he lived the right way.

The game is losing its greats, I am happy that the NHL recognized Lindsay with his trophy. The Norris should be renamed ASAP whether the greatest wants it or not.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Read Net Worth, I have never seen the CBC movie that was based on it but if you read that book and don't have anything but respect and admiration I dont know what to say. Lindsay played the right way and he lived the right way.

The game is losing its greats, I am happy that the NHL recognized Lidsay with his trophy. The Norris should be renamed ASAP whether the greatest wants it or not.

The 1995 CBC movie of the same name is not very good, though you can judge for yourself on YouTube.

I'm not certain Ted played the right way, say, the way Patrice plays. I'm fine with it, but Lindsay was a nasty bastard who would do anything to win. He stood up to a physical challenge, though, as all the greats of his era did. They didn't have enforcers to protect them. They protected themselves.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
The 1995 CBC movie of the same name is not very good, though you can judge for yourself on YouTube.

I'm not certain Ted played the right way, say, the way Patrice plays. I'm fine with it, but Lindsay was a nasty bastard who would do anything to win. He stood up to a physical challenge, though, as all the greats of his era did. They didn't have enforcers to protect them. They protected themselves.
Pie probably didn't play the right way either. It was right for that era, however. Well said, Mr Howe.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I used to admire Jack Adams. Then I found out how he & the rest of NHL owner/management treated their players.

Bruce Norris was a bum, too. Awful. Like Wirtz and Mr. Burns (JJ). Thank God Mike Ilitch bought the club.

Clarence Campbell. Zeigler. Gil Stein. Bettman.

Ugh. Thrice ugh.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I used to admire Jack Adams. Then I found out how he & the rest of NHL owner/management treated their players.

Bruce Norris was a bum, too. Awful. Like Wirtz and Mr. Burns (JJ). Thank God Mike Ilitch bought the club.

Clarence Campbell. Zeigler. Gil Stein. Bettman.

Ugh. Thrice ugh.

The Bruins in the '50s did want Norris wanted, as the team was then owned by the Garden and controlled by Walter Brown. Norris fed the Garden several nationally telecast boxing matches a year which the Garden needed to survive.

Montreal and Toronto needed boxing matches as well and in those days boxing was like the NFL is today. Matches were on in prime time on 2 networks 52 weeks a year.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The Bruins in the '50s did want Norris wanted, as the team was then owned by the Garden and controlled by Walter Brown. Norris fed the Garden several nationally telecast boxing matches a year which the Garden needed to survive.

Montreal and Toronto needed boxing matches as well and in those days boxing was like the NFL is today. Matches were on in prime time on 2 networks 52 weeks a year.

Where do you place Walter Brown in terms of ownership that was fair to its players? (Let's leave Mr. Shore aside for the moment.) And the organization itself? Sinden? (I can barely write the name.)

I will always have great respect for Milt Schmidt. It's easy to say, but the B's also brought up Willie O'Rea.

Reactions: Fenian24

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Where do you place Walter Brown in terms of ownership that was fair to its players? (Let's leave Mr. Shore aside for the moment.) And the organization itself? Sinden? (I can barely write the name.)

I will always have great respect for Milt Schmidt. It's easy to say, but the B's also brought up Willie O'Rea.

I have never heard a bad thing about Brown - When Art Ross retired as GM he hired Lynn Patrick. Patrick was fired by Weston Adams when he bought the team back after Brown's sudden death. Under Brown, the Bruins were the first team in the NHL to get a Zamboni and were the first US team to install glass above the boards.

The Boston Bruins become the first team to use a Zamboni to resurface the ice. Frank Zamboni later reveals that Chicago Blackhawks owner Arthur Wirtz was concerned that fans would stay in the stands and watch the machine instead of going to the concession stands.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I have never heard a bad thing about Brown - When Art Ross retired as GM he hired Lynn Patrick. Patrick was fired by Weston Adams when he bought the team back after Brown's sudden death. Under Brown, the Bruins were the first team in the NHL to get a Zamboni and were the first US team to install glass above the boards.

The Boston Bruins become the first team to use a Zamboni to resurface the ice. Frank Zamboni later reveals that Chicago Blackhawks owner Arthur Wirtz was concerned that fans would stay in the stands and watch the machine instead of going to the concession stands.

It's a bit of maze, even for a rabid fan like me: the Adams family, Art Ross, Walter Brown. Interesting as well that a few amendments to the game came from our corner (the red line, that "B" shaped net, a modified puck ("vulcanized rubber," doubtless).

I'm relieved that as bad as some Boston business has been, as it were, the Bruins fared relatively well in doing right by their players. Oh man, Norris. What a bum.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's a bit of maze, even for a rabid fan like me: the Adams family, Art Ross, Walter Brown. Interesting as well that a few amendments to the game came from our corner (the red line, that "B" shaped net, a modified puck ("vulcanized rubber," doubtless).

I'm relieved that as bad as some Boston business has been, as it were, the Bruins fared relatively well in doing right by their players. Oh man, Norris. What a bum.

Hockey in the US was as late as 1967 was known only by local puckheads in 4 cities but unknown by most. CBS would start televising games in 1968 which might have been the reason for this but notice how the panelists did not wear blindfolds.

Only 6 years later blindfolds were needed.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Hockey in the US was as late as 1967 was known only by local puckheads in 4 cities but unknown by most. CBS would start televising games in 1968 which might have been the reason for this but notice how the panelists did not wear blindfolds.

I've seen a clip of the "What's My Line" appearance. Will check both of these. I also didn't know that US broadcasts began in 1968 -- which is logical, given expansion. I always thought CBS/NBC telecasts originated in the early 70s.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I've seen a clip of the "What's My Line" appearance. Will check both of these. I also didn't know that US broadcasts began in 1968 -- which is logical, given expansion. I always thought CBS/NBC telecasts originated in the early 70s.

The NHL was actually on CBS from 1956 to 1960 but the NHL canceled them partly because of Ted Lindsay.

upload_2019-3-6_18-6-47.png

upload_2019-3-6_18-7-25.png

THE HOCKEY REBELLION

CBS and the NHL resumed telecasts after expansion and recently some video of that first year was discovered. The quality of the video is amazing.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
And more to add to my viewing list. Thank you. I wonder who wrote the pithy bit above. Russ Conway?

THE PLAYERS HAVE SUED THEIR NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE BOSSES FOR $3 MILLION. HERE DAN PARKER, THE HARD-HITTING SPORTS EDITOR OF THE 'NEW YORK MIRROR,' EXPLAINS THE CONTROVERSY THAT LED TO THE SUIT AND CITES OTHER REASONS WHY THE OWNERS ARE SKATING ON THIN ICE

THE HOCKEY REBELLION

Today a Montreal writer offered this

upload_2019-3-6_18-23-24.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

It amazes me that in 1967, even in the US, the "panel" would not recognize #9 when he's right in front of them. Or that (if I may, ahem) they were in the presence of greatness.

The second clip: You probably know that Soupy Sales had strong ties to Detroit. But do you know with whom his two sons, Hunt & Tony, formed the late 80s band Tin Machine? If you do, then you're even more knowledgeable than I thought. And also have your rock gods down properly.

Reactions: Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad