Ted Green

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Does anybody know what Terrible Ted is up to nowadays? Tough as they come, I know he was an assistant coach a little while back.

image.jpg

200px-1962_Topps_Ted_Green.jpg

LizaBbruin

Dec 3, 2011
Omg,one of the many reasons why there are helmets......besides that,as tough as they come.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Omg,one of the many reasons why there are helmets......besides that,as tough as they come.

Ted turns 75 next week. He retired as an assistant coach of the Rangers in 2004 and won 4 Stanley Cups as an assistant with Edmonton. The Bruins and Ted has an ugly divorce when he left the team to become the first captain of the Whalers in 1972-3.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Definition of an NHL policeman -- tough, intimidating and a little bit crazy. Imagine someone taking a run at Pastarnak with Teddie on the ice. :laugh:

Different days...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ted Green would NOT dominate if he were playing today.

He would not intimidate today.

My parents were friends with him and his wife Pat. They had 3 boys and we used to go out in our boats and tie up. Can't remember name of boat.

He was tough as they come. Scarey tough and if he never got that stick in the skull the Big Bad Bruins would have been even better and meaner.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
http://bruinslegends.blogspot.com/2007/04/terrible-ted-green.html

Theres your Spring term homework. Read em all.
:D

Teddy Green was one of the toughest SOBs ever to lace em up in a Spoked B.
His stick swinging incident with Maki brought him to deaths door. He was never the same after.

Yes.

I had no idea Wayne Maki died of brain cancer in '74. He was just 29. Wow.

I remember hearing about that incident even as a kid living in Michigan. It was something NHL fans pointed to as one of the ugliest moments for the game, and the league.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I remember a story from Ted Green after the stick incident - he was upset that the surgeon that operated on him was a Montreal fan and put 'go Montreal' on the plate in his skull...

If true, what a sidelight.....

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Had 2 different nicknames - "Terrible Ted" and "Mean Ted"...I preferred the latter because it rhymed ("Mean Ted Green") and "Terrible Ted" was not original because that was previously what Ted Lindsay was called....one of the fastest skating defensemen back then and generally regarded as the 2nd best D-man on the team...tough yes, but though he fought often, he was generally inclined to use his stick first which led to the Maki incident...Derek Sanderson said that when he first came up he took a shot from Green in practice and went back at him. Green said "Look kid, I hit you, you don't hit me"...Derek said he was going to give back whatever Ted gave him and Green soon took a liking to him out of respect...Sanderson said, "It got so that no one would come near me when Teddie was on the ice - he was just plain feared."

Again though, I think it was his stick rather than just his fists and the fact that he was regarded as just a little bit crazy that made him feared? Anyway, a great Bruin and a character I remember well!

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Yes.

I had no idea Wayne Maki died of brain cancer in '74. He was just 29. Wow.

I remember hearing about that incident even as a kid living in Michigan. It was something NHL fans pointed to as one of the ugliest moments for the game, and the league.

I still have a Wayne Maki a Topps card from '72 with the Canucks. Cruelly ironic that brain cancer was the cause of his death.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Had 2 different nicknames - "Terrible Ted" and "Mean Ted"...I preferred the latter because it rhymed ("Mean Ted Green") and "Terrible Ted" was not original because that was previously what Ted Lindsay was called....one of the fastest skating defensemen back then and generally regarded as the 2nd best D-man on the team...tough yes, but though he fought often, he was generally inclined to use his stick first which led to the Maki incident...Derek Sanderson said that when he first came up he took a shot from Green in practice and went back at him. Green said "Look kid, I hit you, you don't hit me"...Derek said he was going to give back whatever Ted gave him and Green soon took a liking to him out of respect...Sanderson said, "It got so that no one would come near me when Teddie was on the ice - he was just plain feared."

Again though, I think it was his stick rather than just his fists and the fact that he was regarded as just a little bit crazy that made him feared? Anyway, a great Bruin and a character I remember well!

That's pretty much my understanding about "Greenie's" stick work, and Derek's memoir.

And I'd go with Mean Ted Green, too.

***The sobriquet "Terrible Ted" belongs to one man and one man only, #7, the great Ted Lindsay.***

Think Marchand X 10. He could mix it up, he could score, he was a captain.

Also the man who stood up to tyrannical Wings GM Jack Adams in attempting to form the first NHL players union, at a time when the latter were chattel, at best. For this he was exiled to then sad sack Chicago.

PS Finally, it was Ted Lindsay who initiated the tradition of skating the Cup around the ice, in triumph but largely in gratitude to loyal, ticket buying fans.

One of the true greats of the game. And the meanest ******* on skates.

Thanks for the indulgence,

:nod::yo::rant:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When Green was medically cleared to play again, he had to serve a month suspension for his role in the stick fight in Ottawa that almost killed him.

No offense to Joe Thornton but Ted Green to me owns the #6 sweater for Boston.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I remember his post surgery fight with Dan Maloney that let everyone know he was back.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
"Tell him he's Wayne Gretzky." - Oilers coach Ted Green, after Shaun Van Allen suffered a concussion and couldn't remember who he was.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
That's pretty much my understanding about "Greenie's" stick work, and Derek's memoir.

And I'd go with Mean Ted Green, too.

***The sobriquet "Terrible Ted" belongs to one man and one man only, #7, the great Ted Lindsay.***

Think Marchand X 10. He could mix it up, he could score, he was a captain.

Also the man who stood up to tyrannical Wings GM Jack Adams in attempting to form the first NHL players union, at a time when the latter were chattel, at best. For this he was exiled to then sad sack Chicago.

PS Finally, it was Ted Lindsay who initiated the tradition of skating the Cup around the ice, in triumph but largely in gratitude to loyal, ticket buying fans.

One of the true greats of the game. And the meanest ******* on skates.

Thanks for the indulgence,

:nod::yo::rant:

forgot where i read this but the Red Wings scout telegraphing back to the main office after having seen him play simply said "Saw a kid named Ted Lindsey STOP His team lost 3-2 STOP He scored both goals and started and won 2 fights STOP I think we should get him STOP"

Now that's what i call advanced stats.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Memories as a kid of the 'Ted Green Fan Club' banner that hung at every game in the corner in the lower level of the Garden.

Saw him hoist the WHA Cup at the Garden in 1973

The Bruins did not want to rent to the Whalers in 1972-3 and wound up giving them roughly 20-25 dates ( Whalers played a couple of Friday afternoon games at the Garden) and the Whalers promised the Bruins they would not sign any of their players. Then they signed Ted ( who became Captain and also John McKenzie.

The AHL Braves has the priority on dates and the Whalers played their other home games at the Boston Arena.

6a00d8341d46ee53ef01310fcf6ace970c-800wi
6a00d8341d46ee53ef0120a9687319970b-800wi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad