Ted Black on WGR...Does Terry get four years to evaluate R & R?

Trobes

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo
So TB was on WGR just now and Jeremy brought up the idea of fans voting on the GM and coach every few years (I guess there is a soccer team in Seattle I think that Jeremy said does that) to see if they keep their jobs. Ted said and I am paraphrasing "Does Terry get four years to evaluate DR & LR?"

I think that basically says what the plan is. He followed it up by saying "Terry wants to win a cup even if it means getting a black helicopter and stealing it from the Hockey Hall of Fame."

I think that is the plan...4 years...we are in year 2.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
So TB was on WGR just now and Jeremy brought up the idea of fans voting on the GM and coach every few years (I guess there is a soccer team in Seattle I think that Jeremy said does that) to see if they keep their jobs. Ted said and I am paraphrasing "Does Terry get four years to evaluate DR & LR?"

I think that basically says what the plan is. He followed it up by saying "Terry wants to win a cup even if it means getting a black helicopter and stealing it from the Hockey Hall of Fame."

Oh good they added an extra year to get the new coach's system in place.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

This is probably the worst idea that's ever been floated in sports. It's up there with FoxTrax.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Terry doesn't "get" four years to evaluate, as if he doesn't have a choice of waiting four years. It could be today, it could be the next decade. There isn't a timetable on this.

What Terry wants, Terry gets.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.soundersfc.com/alliance/about.aspx

Alliance Goals

Provide Alliance members with a voice in the overall direction of the organization, including but not limited to the following:

• A vote on retention or lack of confidence in the Club’s General Manager every four years

• The right to decide on two of the Club’s charitable partners

• The right to advise on matters regarding game-day experience

• The right to decide matters that primarily affect fan experience

It is the Seattle Sounders FC Alliance.

The fans voted to retain their GM this past offseason.

But, it's not like the fans get the final say. It's just a "no confidence" thing and who knows if the owner would listen or not....

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

First, context is important. What was the question or topic that led to the "four years" comment?

Second, we are in year 3. Either you look at how long he's owned the team (which is entering the 3rd year in a matter of days) or how many seasons its been (the 3rd, even if the 1st was only partial).

However, if they in reality decided on a commitment of 4 hard years, hell or high water, then that's definitely the wrong move.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
First, context is important. What was the question or topic that led to the "four years" comment?

Second, we are in year 3. Either you look at how long he's owned the team (which is entering the 3rd year in a matter of days) or how many seasons its been (the 3rd, even if the 1st was only partial).

However, if they in reality decided on a commitment of 4 hard years, hell or high water, then that's definitely the wrong move.

My guess is that the four years thing was in relation to Seattle Sounders FC having the fan vote on the GM every four years.

But, I didn't hear the question and it's merely a guess.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
Bracing myself for this year to have not counted as one of the evaluation years due to a shortened season.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I don't understand what that comment is supposed to mean.

"No, it shouldn't take that long?"

RattleYourSabre

Jan 12, 2013
I don't understand what that comment is supposed to mean.

"No, it shouldn't take that long?"

My take, and keep in mind I've been wrong twice before in my life :)laugh:) is that he means the fans in Seattle are a very patient bunch. They wait FOUR years to evaluate a GM/HC. Black/Pegula have been here for less than that and they are facing the media firing line.

I don't think he has any problem with that.

I just think the comment was kind of a tongue in cheek thing.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I haven't heard the interview yet (not in audio vault yet) but from the original poster's comments and quotes....

It sounds like Black is simply saying that if even the fans in Seattle have to wait 4 years between decisions, isn't it only fair that the owner of the Sabres should get some time to evaluate the GM as well?

As if to say "can we calm down with the fire everyone talk for a while until we know what we want to do."

Reading this as some type of definitive statement that Pegula will take precisely 4 years to make a decision is silly.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Four years....He's been here 15 years...Just because he wasn't the owner does not mean he does not have a boatload of evidence on whether or not Ruff is a successful NHL coach or not. It boils down to 1 Stanley Cup Appearance in 15 years. We didn't even make it to the Stanley with the most stacked team I have ever seen the Sabres have for those 2 years 05-07. But I know Ruff played the injury card with that one.

Last edited:

ClassicBusiness

Mar 20, 2012
I can't remember the context of the discussion as I was only half paying attention... If it takes these clowns 4 years to evaluate, they are truly doing a terrible job.. After a few games, you see a list of things you could can Ruff for...

Look at the lineup out there and that is enough to can Darcy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Four years....He's been here 15 years...Just because he wasn't the owner does not mean he does not have a boatload of evidence on whether or not Ruff is a successful NHL coach or not. It boils down to 1 Stanley Cup Appearance in 15 years. We didn't even make it to the Stanley with the most stacked team I have ever seen the Sabres have for those 2 years 05-07. But I know Ruff played the injury card with that one.

My managerial experience says that it is generally a good idea to see how employees work under me as opposed to judging them on how they worked for a previous manager.

Some "high performers" aren't good fits and some "poor performers" blossom under me.

I can understand why Pegula would want to see how Ruff & Regier did under his ownership.

I am starting to question why he's so patient.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
Without listening to the show it also seems to me that Black is saying that Pegula SHOULDN'T have to wait 4 years to make a change on coach or GM if he feels a change is necessary. The second part of the quote (about the black helicopter) seems to be saying that Pegula is not going to always be nice in his quest for the cup, thus firings may need to happen.

AlexanderMogilny89

Oct 19, 2011
This is probably the worst idea that's ever been floated in sports. It's up there with FoxTrax.

I agree. I'm so sick and tired seeing other teams turn it around in 1 or 2 yrs and the Sabres being stuck on stupid. When Pegula bought the team he should have said the Sabres existence now is to evaluate R and R. That's obviously more important to him instead of a winning the Stanley Cup. They had more then enough time to get this team back on track. With the amount of time and money spent and the team regressing it's beginning to turn into a night mare watching this team get their ***** beat all the time. For some reason i think Pegula is making every decision.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Regarding the Sounders: Here's a good reason why the fans voted to keep the GM: THEY MAKE THE PLAYOFFS EVERY YEAR! They have finished no LOWER than the quarterfinals, and have made the semis twice. (BTW, the fan alliance was an idea of minority owner Drew Carey(he chairs that alliance), and it's based on the fan association of FC Barcelona-one of the more successful soccer teams in the world.)

If they tried something similar here in Buffalo, the no-confidence vote would have been turned in ages ago.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Regarding the Sounders: Here's a good reason why the fans voted to keep the GM: THEY MAKE THE PLAYOFFS EVERY YEAR! They have finished no LOWER than the quarterfinals, and have made the semis twice. (BTW, the fan alliance was an idea of minority owner Drew Carey(he chairs that alliance), and it's based on the fan association of FC Barcelona-one of the more successful soccer teams in the world.)

If they tried something similar here in Buffalo, the no-confidence vote would have been turned in ages ago.

and half way thru every following season, or any 3 game losing streak.

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I feel bad for Ted Black, the guy is all class and takes his beatings like a man. I have nothing but respect and immense gratitude for Terry Pegula and Ted Black, they have done most things perfect.

On the other hand, if we miss the playoffs and they don't fire Lindy, I will be upset. Ruff, in my mind, should have been fired after last season. There is no way I could see him come back after another failure of a season, and not lose all faith in both men when it comes to them being willing to do everything in their power to win a cup.

Right now, it seems to me, Terry wants to win a cup but he wants to prove he can do it his way. Meaning, the more the media, us fans and general critics say it's time for Ruff to go, the more determined he is to keep Lindy.

Obviously, the last paragraph is my idiotic speculation. In no way would I ever assume it's true, it's just one of the rationalizations I make in my mind as to why he would keep him going forward, without success.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
So much respect for Ted Black. Today a caller called and asked him if he is blind and stupid, and WGR apologized but Ted welcomed it. I give him respect. He is a world class President. Do I wish he would bring in new front office management yes.... but he in the long run we are lucky to have him.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Yes...yes it is....

Emo fans :rant: and :cry: are not the ones I want having any say in how things are done.

If that's how things were done in Denver...then the Broncos would still have Tim Tebow and not Peyton Manning.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Yes...yes it is....

Emo fans :rant: and :cry: are not the ones I want having any say in how things are done.

If that's how things were done in Denver...then the Broncos would still have Tim Tebow and not Peyton Manning.

Tebow won a playoff game as Broncos QB, Manning hasn't. :)

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Voting on GMs and coaches? Stupid idea. Then we'll get coaches and GMs walking on eggshells and not willing to make the right moves which might upset fans. They're going to spend more time and energy trying to make everyone happy, rather than doing their job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad