Teams with the best and worst players who were 1st round picks

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The Avalanche come to mind right away as the best, with MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Makar, Burakovsky, Kadri, Jost, Cole, Nichushkin, Zadorov, etc.

Same with the Jets with Scheifele, Laine, Connor, Wheeler, Ehlers, Morrissey, etc.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Tampa ain't bad with Hedman, Stamkos, Vasi, McDonagh, and Sergachev. Only 1sts on the roster that I can think of.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The 2024 New Jersey Devils roster

200.gif

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I wonder if the Rangers have the most with 11.

Skjei, DeAngelo, Kakko, Howden, Chytil, Kreider, Zibanejad, Trouba, Smith, Strome, Staal.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Stars are pretty bad in this regard:
Heiskanen, Seguin, Cogliano, Dickinson, Faksa, Gurianov, Oleksiak, Perry, Radulov

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Flyers have to be among the best.

1. Giroux
  2. Couturier
  3. Voracek
  4. JVR
  5. Hayes
  6. Provorov
  7. Sanheim
  8. Konecny
  9. Frost
  10. Farabee
  11. Patrick (LTIR)
  12. Morin (LTIR)

All on the current roster. Very much a homegrown team. Only two of these players were drafted by other teams (Voracek, Hayes).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Braydon Coburn, Luke Schenn and Kevin Shattenkirk were all first round picks as well.

They can ice a full six-man unit on defense of only first round picks.
Completely forgot those three were first round picks.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina's aren't great, aren't terrible, although most of them weren't drafted by Carolina.

Svechnikov
Hamilton
Teravainen
Necas
Neidereitter
Staal
Gardiner
Fleury

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
The Avalanche come to mind right away as the best, with MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Makar, Burakovsky, Kadri, Jost, Cole, Nichushkin, Zadorov, etc.

Same with the Jets with Scheifele, Laine, Connor, Wheeler, Ehlers, Morrissey, etc.

Can add Little, Roslovic, Kulikov, Sbisa and Beaulieu to the Jets

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Between Avs and Caps for the best IMO.

1st rounders for Caps: Ovi, Backstrom, Carlson, Wilson, Kuzy, Oshie, Samsonov, Vrana and few more

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Boston possibly has the best players who were NOT first round picks: Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Krug, Chara, Carlo, Halak

But some excellent first rounders too: Rask, Pastrnak, McAvoy and even DeBrusk. Could have been better though, some were traded away, other picks not ideally made.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Eberle, Barzal, Bailey, Nelson, Pulock, Dobson, Leddy, Varlamov, Beauvillier, Brassard, Dal Colle

11, same number my amps go up to.

on edit: In answer to the original post's question, I would give it a "meh?". Far from the worst, far from the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: FerrisRox

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Chicago has Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Strome, Dach, Boqvist, and Alex Nylander. So a lot of players past their prime or yet to hit it. I may be forgetting someone.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Buffalo has Eichel, Mittelstadt, Skinner, Risto, Dahlin, Johansson, Reinhart, Tage Thompson, Girgenson, Okposo, Bogosian, and Lazar. I'd put that closer to the bottom of teams

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Fleury, Glass, Pacioretty, Subban, Theodore, Tuch.

Only Glass was actually drafted by Vegas, as they didn't have a team when the others were drafted.

Have high hopes for Glass, the only one you can say is a disappointment as a first rounder would probably be Subban.

But there are teams with much better and deeper first round players on their teams. Vegas could be near the bottom by virtue of having less of them on the team, I don't know.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Oilers

Draisaitl
Gagner
Klefbom
Nugent-Hopkins
Nurse
McDavid

Kassian
Larsson
Shehean

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
Canucks:
Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Miller, Sutter, Virtanen, Myers, Baertschi, Goldobin.

The first five are great. The next five, though...
Markstrom also just missed this list as the 31st overall pick in 2008.

The Canucks have a lot of undrafted players, too: Tanev, Stecher, Benn, Fantenberg, Schaller, Roussel, Beagle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad