Teams win more often when outshot?

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
But by limiting games to only those that are within one goal in the first or second period you're already limiting an already small (>82 game) sample size.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
In the the third period or late in the game the team protecting a lead has already scored their goals and often sits back a bit playing a defensive game and generates few shots while the trailing team is desperate and tries to play offense and throw pucks at the net.

Basically this. I'd argue that you'd see more low percentage shots near the end of the game because the trailing team is just throwing everything and anything at the net. I'd be very surprised if the winning team was trailing in shots for most of the game, rather than just in the third.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
But by limiting games to only those that are within one goal in the first or second period you're already limiting an already small (>82 game) sample size.

Sample size is fine.

They also break it out to close/tied/leading/trailing/all so you can come up with your own conclusions.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It seems strange to me. I can only assume team's win games by having the puck more.

Jacob8hockey*

It seems strange to me. I can only assume team's win games by having the puck more.

More shots does not necessarily mean having the puck more.

But anyways it should be measured in scoring chances vs shots.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

No teams win games by scoring more. There are no points for puck possession.

If you were to say your odds to score are better if you have the puck more you would be correct, in a sense. But simply having the puck more would not mean you will win, just increase odds.

What would be far more important would be shot quality. 10 bad angle shots don't really give you the best chance to score, and I would personally take 3 in the slot over a bad angle. Yes any puck can go in, but if we are going by odds, High Quality >>>>>>> Low Quality in terms of shooting %

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad