Weekes: Teams trying to trade for Sasha Chmelevski

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I wonder what Coach Tourigny thinks of him? If he would be worth the bother for the Coyotes to go after him?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The odds are very good that you’re correct. The most likely outcome is he’s not a valuable NHL player. But late bloomers like Michael Bunting and Conor Garland (etc) aren’t unique to North American pro leagues. Occasionally a guy comes out of nowhere, a bit later, in Russia. Every once in a while they end up being solid NHLers.

Is this guy the next one? Maybe, maybe not.
It’s why he gets a shot. Unfortunately he’s not the late bloomer type. He was scoring in the AHL before he left too. He just needs time and space to do it, and that time and space doesn’t exist in the NHL. Players who generally become late bloomers like Bunting, are guys who get their nose dirty, play the game in traffic, and learn how to create space. Not wide open , outside type players, like he is.

We’ll see though. At 24, with his skill set, he’s gonna get a chance in an NHL camp. He likely ends up a ppg AHL player though, and makes good money playing the rest of his career there.

Like many of the LA kids, he was a heavy roller player, who plays a wide open game, but struggles when things tighten up. The KHL isn’t the league to help fix that.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
His game is built for the KHL. Needs lots of space to produce, and there’s lots of space in that league these days, for ANY skilled player. Even if those players can’t create space themselves.

At some point, people are going to figure out how far the KHL has fallen. It’s like watching roller games anymore. Very few dmen, with great 1 on 1 defensive skills. Much less than the SHL these days, and laughable when compared to the AHL. Lots of really bad teams that play zone systems, because of that same lack of talent, that gives space to players like Leivo, etc.

Its why you always have to be concerned with giving too much respect to players who pile up stats in the league. Completely different game, than playing in the NHL.

He’ll get another chance because he’s skilled. That’s a given at his age, but there’s a reason SJ gave up on him, and isn’t very interested in his return.
so you are saying that the flyers should be semi worried about michkov?

Reactions: Petes2424

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Chmelevski being almost a PPG in the KHL is really a testament to how far the KHL has fallen. I’m rooting for him but I’d take literally any pick someone wanted to give us for him.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Like one of the best foreigners I ever seen in the KHL - has been quite a dynamic goalscorer, who leads the game by himself, not just contributing as a complimentary piece.
How has his skating looked? I remember that he was one of the worst skaters I have ever seen with the Sharks and that really held back his game. Has he improved in his skating?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Tell me you didn't see Chmelevski in the KHL without telling me you didn't see Chmelevski in the KHL lol.
Or we could tell you we’ve seen him a bunch in the AHL and NHL and he was the definition of a tweeter -not enough skill for the top 6 in the NHL, not enough grit to play in most team’s bottom 6, and average at best skating. He has some nice tools, but the overall package is just a bit lacking for the NHL.

As stated, his KHL production is likely more a function of reduced competition versus the NHL and not an indication of him being a late bloomer.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Or we could tell you we’ve seen him a bunch in the AHL and NHL and he was the definition of a tweeter -not enough skill for the top 6, not enough grit to play in most team’s bottom 6, and average at best skating. As stated, his KHL production is likely more a function of reduced competition versus the NHL and not an indication of him being a late bloomer.
Showing progress at the age of 23-24 isn't being a late bloomer, it is a rather usual age for a young player to start entering prime.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad