Teams that are playing some nice football

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No club that's sponsored by Red Bull is small IMHO.
Oops, didn't see the small budget comment, if that's the case I would say...

BuLi
- I still say Hoffenheim (Have some good young players and play delicate football)

EPL
- Leeds United (Bielsa IDGAF about defence is truly something to watch and admire)

EFL
- Brentford (Sucks they didn't get promoted because they had a lot of interesting pieces)

La Liga
- Athletic Club (Hard to say because Spanish football is all about possession and playing from the back, but Athletic might be too big of a club so I'll say Sporting Gijon instead)

Ligue 1
- Lens (You're right about this Evilo, they're like mini Bielsa where they play direct attacking)
- Metz (Not as attacking as Lens, but they stay in matches against the bigger clubs)

Serie A
- Udinese (Definitely back in the day, not sure what they're up to nowadays but aren't as good as they were a decade ago)
Metz is a decent shout, they try to play football on both ends rather than bunker down.
Still they're well below Brest in terms of play quality. With more money.
I only included the top 5 leagues (Auxerre and Troyes are playing nice football in L2 as well).

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Metz is a decent shout, they try to play football on both ends rather than bunker down.
Still they're well below Brest in terms of play quality. With more money.
I only included the top 5 leagues (Auxerre and Troyes are playing nice football in L2 as well).

I miss Auxerre. Loved that club in the 90's

Have they been close to promotion in recent years?

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, they've been awful (close to being relegated in fact), but this year, they've been playing amazing football, first in scoring under JM Furlan, a well known offensive football coach.
It's their best league start since they got relegated in 2012.
I still hope they reach L1 at some point.

It's a very small town (34k inhabitants) but Guy Roux made them european cup semi finalists and League/Cup winner double winners.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Somebody said Bilbao early in the thread... no, they suck balls this season.

I liked Huesca the few times I watch them but the results are awful so should not qualify to put them here

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So @cgf , rather than posting nonsense, could you help us on small budget german teams that are playing offensive football and doing rather well (relative to their means) in the BL rankings?

Wolfsburg & Augsburg (*and Bielefeld, totally forgot about them*) are the only teams who play really defensive football in the BuLi. So anyone other than them, whose league position outplaces their budget (however you chose to define that)...like Union...would qualify for your list.

But who is overachieving domestically this season, is a less interesting conversation to me than who is playing nice football; so I don't feel like putting much effort into digging up the #s for you.

I already gave you a list of clubs who play attractive football and are achieving results above their spending...but you chose to ignore European performances; as though Leipzig, Gladbach & Hoffenheim's league positions haven't been impacted by playing 2 matches a week for a couple of months.

So why bother, you'll just move the goalposts again to ignore any club I suggest :dunno:

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Of course we can't use european performances.
You can't use a few games here and there to draw conclusions.

YOU have moved the goalposts, it's quite amazing you say I did since I stated them in the original post that you chose to ignore. :amazed:

So your teams for the Bundesliga? Union and?
Do you have the budget rankings in bundesliga?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

YOU have moved the goalposts, it's quite amazing you say I did since I stated them in the original post that you chose to ignore. :amazed:

Here we should register some teams that play nice football despite small means.
They show it can be done without bunkering down :

Come on buddy, if you're going to try to gaslight people you have to go back & edit your original post first. This is just lazy.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I have no idea what you're even talking about.
I talked about small budgets and you're talking Leipzig...
I listed the different leagues.

Man, you need to pause for a bit. This was never a thread abotu comparing leagues. It was clear from the get go.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Bodø/Glimt played some amazing football this year. 3+ goals per game in the league. Attacked without fear against AC Milan in the EL qualifier. Tiny club even by Norwegian standards, but they have truly shown how football can be played even with small means. If their manager had been English he would have been on his way to at least the Championship by now. Not that many on here will now start warching Bodø :DD

Yeah, they are a very interesting team. Some of their players have crazy stats too, players who never were that good while at previous clubs. They did lose some key pieces during the season, their goalie went to the Turkish league and their brightest prospects left too (Evjen to AZ, Hauge to Milan), and yesterday Watford signed one of Bodo's top goalscorers, Philip Zinckernagel.
Really looking forward to next season to see if this was just a one hit wonder or if they will continue their dominance.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah, they are a very interesting team. Some of their players have crazy stats too, players who never were that good while at previous clubs. They did lose some key pieces during the season, their goalie went to the Turkish league and their brightest prospects left too (Evjen to AZ, Hauge to Milan), and yesterday Watford signed one of Bodo's top goalscorers, Philip Zinckernagel.
Really looking forward to next season to see if this was just a one hit wonder or if they will continue their dominance.

Two hit wonder - as they were very solid last year as well.

Absolutely no way that they can keep on going like they did this year. As you rightly point out they have developed and lost some brilliant players (by Norwegian league standards - and arguable decent players even in bigger leagues - even if Evjen has struggled).

They have clearly been a bit lucky with some of the players they have bought. As you say players that haven't been all that before going to Bodø, but I do believe their coach is borderline a genius. If he is ever given 11 PL players that will buy into his style - god knows how good that team could be. Can't see that happening though. He is 52 and his style probably fits best in a team without big egos etc. Another Scandinavian team is probably his best bet. Copenhagen would be very interesting.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I liked Huesca the few times I watch them but the results are awful so should not qualify to put them here
If we are going off of results Brighton may not qualify for this list as well. Amazing stuff going forward but the finishing is brutal at times and there are a lot of points dropped because of it.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Don’t know if they qualify, as they come from lesser leagues.

But Brentford plays some nice football, not sure how their budget Ranks compared to other Championship teams.

And, I have never watched the Norwegian league before, but Corona has gotten me bored, so watched alot of teams/leagues I never usually would.

For me Bodø/Glimt played some very nice looking football.

They scored 103 goals in 30 games - For comparison 2nd place only scored 77 and 3rd place only 51 :eek:

Also sold a few key players - Hauge to Milan, Zinkernagel to Watford, and wont be long before Junker is also sold, probably also to a Championship club.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Two hit wonder - as they were very solid last year as well.

Absolutely no way that they can keep on going like they did this year. As you rightly point out they have developed and lost some brilliant players (by Norwegian league standards - and arguable decent players even in bigger leagues - even if Evjen has struggled).

They have clearly been a bit lucky with some of the players they have bought. As you say players that haven't been all that before going to Bodø, but I do believe their coach is borderline a genius. If he is ever given 11 PL players that will buy into his style - god knows how good that team could be. Can't see that happening though. He is 52 and his style probably fits best in a team without big egos etc. Another Scandinavian team is probably his best bet. Copenhagen would be very interesting.
Would absolutely LOVE him in FCK.
Club has been stale for a while now.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

RDBZhCm.jpg

script>

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sure doesn’t, but it does give a somewhat picture.

Best I could find for 20/21

Yes, I'm not saying it isn't worth considering. It's just that with some clubs it could be deceiving and not indicative of their budget. La Real was mentioned before and I think their net transfer spend has been negative for at least a decade now. I don't have their budget information, but I also don't think they're spending a lot on wages either. Also, their squad's market value is skewed by one player in particular who was promoted from the academy (La Real promote plenty of their canteranos relative to other clubs). So I think they might be considered here if one considers their game nice to watch.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad