Teams that are playing some nice football

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
***I'm lazy so just doing one season even though we should be using expenditures over a 3 or 5 year period, but:

Current BuLi Table:
Screen-Shot-2021-01-04-at-12-04-24-PM.png

This Forbes article about last season used Sporting Intelligence for BuLi Salaries

Just for reference here are the EPL's #s:
Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-1-33-09-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-11-35-32-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-11-35-45-AM.png

And we can use Transfermarkt to show spending on transfers:

Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-12-17-00-PM.png

With FussballGeld showing teams reported revenues:
Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-11-48-00-AM.png

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
- So Leipzig, who are competing with Bayern & Dortmund for the title again & had to deal with months of english weeks spent facing richer clubs in europe, spend half of what Dortmund spends & less than a third of what Bayern does. Their wage bill is closer to #7 Gladbach's than to #3 Leverkusen's and would see them 16th in the EPL, behind clubs like Aston Villa & Watford.

Despite that they're successfully battling on multiple fronts against these higher spending teams...currently in 2nd place in the BuLi (only because they couldn't finish off the win over Bayern despite having outplayed them), and are once again in the CL knockouts. Having done so playing very attractive football and having eliminated a club from the CL who spend almost 4 times what they do (ManU).

All of that is why I said that they are outplaying their budget, Wolfsburg or Schalke of years past is what they would look like if they weren't.

- I also included Gladbach because while Schalke have decayed & Leipzig has arisen to replace them in Germany's top 3, it is BMG who have been Leverkusen's primary rival for that 4th spot over the past decade.

A task they've accomplished while spending a third less on wages...which btw is the smallest that gap has been; as when Eberl started BMG's wage bill was more in line with Mainz & Freiburg's...and significantly less on transfers. Over that time they have regularly outperformed richer clubs in the battle for european positioning and consistently finished ahead of their financial ranking.

And despite getting worn down by months of english weeks, also spent battling until the last gameday against richer clubs in the CL; they're still within touching distance of the CL spots domestically (4pts back) and in the knockout stages of the CL. Perfectly positioned to make their annual 2nd half of the season push once the schedule lightens up, to challenge Leverkusen for the 4th spot.

- Hoffenheim doesn't really fit on the wage front, though transfers being their largest source of revenue was not unique to the 2019/2020 season and has happened pretty often since they established themselves & Hoppe forced them to be self-sufficient.
So I'll concede that they don't fit this thread...though they do play attractive football, they're not very consistent with their results and aren't really outperforming their budgets.

- Same for Werder/Stuttgart/Frankfurt; attractive to watch for neutrals, but the results v budget don't qualify for this thread.

That all said, my Eisernen & Freiburg definitely qualify. Even if we punish Gladbach & Leipzig for playing in Europe and disqualify them; Union & Streich's boys give you great bang for your buck without bunkering.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's always a little surreal to me to see the gap with the EPL laid out like that. Like I know it exists and it has shaped the footballing landscape that we all operate in, but it's always crazy to see the #s.

I mean even having a larger gap over #3 Leverkusen than Leverkusen have over #10 Frankfurt, Dortmund is still spending less than 6 EPL teams and basically the exact same amount as #7 Tottenham.

Leverkusen comes in between #10 Crystal Palace & #11 Southampton; while every other german club would have a bottom 5 wage bill in the EPL...it's just wild to be remind of.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
- So Leipzig, who are competing with Bayern & Dortmund for the title again & had to deal with months of english weeks spent facing richer clubs in europe, spend half of what Dortmund spends & less than a third of what Bayern does. Their wage bill is closer to #7 Gladbach's than to #3 Leverkusen's and would see them 16th in the EPL, behind clubs like Aston Villa & Watford.

Despite that they're successfully battling on multiple fronts against these higher spending teams...currently in 2nd place in the BuLi (only because they couldn't finish off the win over Bayern despite having outplayed them), and are once again in the CL knockouts. Having done so playing very attractive football and having eliminated a club from the CL who spend almost 4 times what they do (ManU).

All of that is why I said that they are outplaying their budget, Wolfsburg or Schalke of years past is what they would look like if they weren't.

- I also included Gladbach because while Schalke have decayed & Leipzig has arisen to replace them in Germany's top 3, it is BMG who have been Leverkusen's primary rival for that 4th spot over the past decade.

A task they've accomplished while spending a third less on wages...which btw is the smallest that gap has been; as when Eberl started BMG's wage bill was more in line with Mainz & Freiburg's...and significantly less on transfers. Over that time they have regularly outperformed richer clubs in the battle for european positioning and consistently finished ahead of their financial ranking.

And despite getting worn down by months of english weeks, also spent battling until the last gameday against richer clubs in the CL; they're still within touching distance of the CL spots domestically (4pts back) and in the knockout stages of the CL. Perfectly positioned to make their annual 2nd half of the season push once the schedule lightens up, to challenge Leverkusen for the 4th spot.

- Hoffenheim doesn't really fit on the wage front, though transfers being their largest source of revenue was not unique to the 2019/2020 season and has happened pretty often since they established themselves & Hoppe forced them to be self-sufficient.
So I'll concede that they don't fit this thread...though they do play attractive football, they're not very consistent with their results and aren't really outperforming their budgets.

- Same for Werder/Stuttgart/Frankfurt; attractive to watch for neutrals, but the results v budget don't qualify for this thread.

That all said, my Eisernen & Freiburg definitely qualify. Even if we punish Gladbach & Leipzig for playing in Europe and disqualify them; Union & Streich's boys give you great bang for your buck without bunkering.
Their results aren't quite up to snuff I guess but I do find Stuttgart a pretty enjoyable watch week in and out to go along with BM and RBL, who you've already pointed out. Also agree on Union and Freiburg. Wolfsburg, on the other hand, is an utter bore.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Their results aren't quite up to snuff I guess but I do find Stuttgart a pretty enjoyable watch week in and out to go along with BM and RBL, who you've already pointed out. Also agree on Union and Freiburg. Wolfsburg, on the other hand, is an utter bore.

I've forced myself to watch a number of Wolfsburg matches to check up on Baku and yeah...they're rough. They're playing football from the year 2000, in all of the worst ways :laugh:

Wolfsburg, Augsburg & Bielefeld are the three BuLi teams who consistently bore me with their style of play. Schalke is an utter disaster, but in the matches that I've caught they hadn't yet resorted to killing games and trying to bring their opposition down to their level. Mainz are dire this season, but that desire to play football is still there. Those 10-15 teams have all had some fun performances to balance their embarrassments.

But those three? They exist solely to kill all joy on the pitch.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I've forced myself to watch a number of Wolfsburg matches to check up on Baku and yeah...they're rough. They're playing football from the year 2000, in all of the worst ways :laugh:

Wolfsburg, Augsburg & Bielefeld are the three BuLi teams who consistently bore me with their style of play. Schalke is an utter disaster, but in the matches that I've caught they hadn't yet resorted to killing games and trying to bring their opposition down to their level. Mainz are dire this season, but that desire to play football is still there. Those 10-15 teams have all had some fun performances to balance their embarrassments.

But those three? They exist solely to kill all joy on the pitch.
I've found a kind of perverse enjoyment in Augsburg creating nothing, playing some brutal, hacking football, then somehow equalizing for a draw on a few occasions this season. I like Mainz, the quality just isn't quite there consistently enough. Hope they manage to stay up though.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've found a kind of perverse enjoyment in Augsburg creating nothing, playing some brutal, hacking football, then somehow equalizing for a draw on a few occasions this season. I like Mainz, the quality just isn't quite there consistently enough. Hope they manage to stay up though.

As a knicks fan I should get how a person can find enjoyment from something objectively painful to watch, but enjoying FCA is a bridge too far for me :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad