Teams Tanking

Regnes

Feb 14, 2015
Prince George, BC
Vancouver, though they're not going to be doing it on purpose I think. Edmonton too, because that's just the trend. Other than that, who knows, Blue Jackets maybe?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Vancouver might actively tank if they find themselves at the bottom by March. Can't see them hitting rebuild yet though. Toronto will be at the bottom as well but I don't think they will actively tank this time.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Vancouver might actively tank if they find themselves at the bottom by March. Can't see them hitting rebuild yet though. Toronto will be at the bottom as well but I don't think they will actively tank this time.

I think they might tank purposefully if they are in no mans land around January to try and get Liljegren

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
If Vancouver tanks I don't think it will be on purpose, as recent moves do not indicate a willing tank and rebuild.

Regnes

Feb 14, 2015
Prince George, BC
I do hope Vancouver tanks and gets that first pick, would really help with their inevitable rebuild. They're actually the oldest team in the league to have never selected 1st overall. The only time (as far as I'm aware) they have ever held the 1st pick is by trading an arm and a leg for it in the 1999 draft in order to pick both Sedins.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I do hope Vancouver tanks and gets that first pick, would really help with their inevitable rebuild. They're actually the oldest team in the league to have never selected 1st overall. The only time (as far as I'm aware) they have ever held the 1st pick is by trading an arm and a leg for it in the 1999 draft in order to pick both Sedins.

That wasn't actually a 1st overall pick. It was the 2nd and 3rd overall picks and they made some sort of deal to assure Atlanta took Stefan rather than one of the Sedins. Which was basically like selecting two 1st overalls anyways.

Regnes

Feb 14, 2015
Prince George, BC
That wasn't actually a 1st overall pick. It was the 2nd and 3rd overall picks and they made some sort of deal to assure Atlanta took Stefan rather than one of the Sedins. Which was basically like selecting two 1st overalls anyways.

Yes but they did briefly hold the 1st overall pick with the intention of trading it.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Vancouver if they're smart. Toronto and Edmonton when they're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in December.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It seems like any team that is bad is accused of "Tanking" nowadays.
Vancouver I'm picking to finish 30th. And there is no "Tanking" there. Ownership will not accept a full rebuild and are legitimately trying to win.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
there's no way that Edmonton tanks. Even last year, we were out at the deadline but Chiarelli still brought in Maroon and there were strong rumours that a bigger deal almost happened there. We want to win as many games as we can no matter what.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
there's no way that Edmonton tanks. Even last year, we were out at the deadline but Chiarelli still brought in Maroon and there were strong rumours that a bigger deal almost happened there. We want to win as many games as we can no matter what.

Any team that loses tanks nowadays.
The Leafs finished in another world from 30th placed Buffalo the year prior and spewnt 50 million on a top coach and everyone said they were tanking.
Arizona and Buffalo in 14-15' tanked. No one else.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Any team that loses tanks nowadays.
The Leafs finished in another world from 30th placed Buffalo the year prior and spewnt 50 million on a top coach and everyone said they were tanking.
Arizona and Buffalo in 14-15' tanked. No one else.

Toronto tanked. Babcock even admitted it :laugh:

At least when Buffalo tanked the coach was not in on it ;)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Toronto tanked. Babcock even admitted it :laugh:

At least when Buffalo tanked the coach was not in on it ;)

Do you happen to have that quote?

The Leafs finished 14 points ahead of Buffalo's 2014-15' record. The Leafs also lost over 20 1 goal games. And their goal differential was in another universe from Buffalo
s when they were 30th.
The Leafs actually had more points in 2015-16 than the previous year. How many people are aware of that?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Vancouver is not "tanking"

There is a difference between tanking and what Vancouver is doing. Jim Benning is trying his absolute hardest to ice a competitive hockey team, that is not tanking.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Vancouver is not "tanking"

There is a difference between tanking and what Vancouver is doing. Jim Benning is trying his absolute hardest to ice a competitive hockey team, that is not tanking.

I agree. Ownership has ordered management to try to win and not rebuild. It is flawed, but the farthest thing from "Tanking".

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Vancouver has horrible management and coaching (not even sold that he's the problem though honestly). Hard not to be awful even when you're trying to win with that going on. But they're not tanking, definitely not to the extent that Toronto and Buffalo a couple years back were.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Bad =/= tank

So sick of every bad team being accused of tanking. It's one thing when management is greasing the wheels for a team to be kinda bad, but this incessant need to accuse every team that hovers around the bottom of the standings of tanking is patently absurd.

Nobody is going to be 'tanking' this year, not from the onset at least.

Vancouver and Columbus look bad, but in no way are they trying to lose to get a better pick, they just have awful management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad