Speculation: Teams seeing the value and importance of toughness.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Looking around the league, it is evident that teams are seeing more and more value in adding toughness. Montreal raved all last year about Prust and what he brought to the table, and with Edmonton searching for this very same thing, this seems to be the trend. With the style of play Boston brings, and the recently aquired Parros by Montreal, the division will be even tougher to play in.

wulfio*

where is the speculation?

this seems like a rhetorical statement.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
where is the speculation?

this seems like a rhetorical statement.

Quite simply the moves teams have made, focusing on players that bring a physical element to the team. I do not have first hand information from GM's or team officials throughout the NHL to speak to this as fact, but I can tell you some teams have spoken to this via media outlets and made moves conducive to this. I'm not sure why that is hard to understand?

wulfio*

Quite simply the moves teams have made, focusing on players that bring a physical element to the team. I do not have first hand information from GM's or team officials throughout the NHL to speak to this as fact, but I can tell you some teams have spoken to this via media outlets and made moves conducive to this. I'm not sure why that is hard to understand?

I guess you're new to hockey. But toughness has been part of the game for a little while now.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I guess you're new to hockey. But toughness has been part of the game for a little while now.

So youre looking for an argument, and baiting I see. Of course unable to respond to my post. What you have failed to see, or chose not to acknowledge is teams are focusing more on physical players, and their worth has gone up significantly, signifying teams value this moreso that in recent history. You just have to look around the league to see this, but looking to bait can stir the pot is your agenda clearly.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I've also noticed, that in their continued attempts to put the puck in the opponent's net, that scoring goals has become a big part of the game.

thebear

Nov 18, 2009
the key aspect the OP didn't mention is there is an increasing demand for tough guys who can skate well and play the game. In the past with all the clutching and grabbing, a team could dress a lot of 'tough' players that weren't overly talented, but with the way the rules are called now, having talented/tough players is how you beat out a skilled but soft team. I like that our Leafs are finally building such a team.

wulfio*

I've watched hockey for a long time. Sandpaper is nothing new. Not everyone has it all the time. But it's always been a need, unless you're Quebecois. Teams typically build skill first, grit later now. But there was a time when the majority of the league was tough, and the soft skill guys were the rare breed. Your observations are just a sign of the times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad