Teams over cap that need to make a move

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
If you are looking at potential trade partners, look at the teams that need to shed salary. I think that is where we will see the potential upgrade at D prior to the season.

Philly - Coburn
Wash - Green
Boston - Boychuk
Toronto - Phaneuf

If it is mid season at trade deadline, it could be from any team.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Don`t want Mike Green.

Besides, we`d have to look for teams wanting to take one of our defenseman if we want to trade for other.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Dion Phaneuf has a big cap hit for a lot of years because of that I don't see the Ducks going after him.

Mike Green has injury problems and just isn't that good defensively. Do not want him at all.

Any trade for a defenseman would have to involve one going the other way.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
We're a budget team remember so we can't take in that much more than we already have

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
We're a budget team remember so we can't take in that much more than we already have

They're still about $5 Million under the internal budget ($62M IIRC), with only Silfverberg and DSP to re-sign. At most they'll get $2M each, which still gives the Ducks about a million left, and if they dump Allen, they'll be about $4.5 Million under the internal budget. If Murray wants to make another move badly enough, they should be fine (and if Murray ends up spending a million or two over the budget, I doubt the Samuelis will care that much).

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Surprised by the green distaste. He'd be a great buy low option for needed offense from the back end. The stoner signing does kill it though. He makes too much to sit.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Surprised by the green distaste. He'd be a great buy low option for needed offense from the back end. The stoner signing does kill it though. He makes too much to sit.

It could work if they trade either Beauch or Lovejoy, but I rather have them instead of Green.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Philly isn't moving Coburn, he's their best defenseman. Doubt Phaneuf goes anywhere either.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
They're still about $5 Million under the internal budget ($62M IIRC), with only Silfverberg and DSP to re-sign. At most they'll get $2M each, which still gives the Ducks about a million left, and if they dump Allen, they'll be about $4.5 Million under the internal budget. If Murray wants to make another move badly enough, they should be fine (and if Murray ends up spending a million or two over the budget, I doubt the Samuelis will care that much).

a whole million huh

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Would not love green. I'll admit his defense is a tad on the underrated side but it's still well below what I'd want out of a blockbuster type acquisition.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
I wouldn't mind Green. That guy is money on the PP, and God knows Ducks need some help on that front. Only thing I would be very weary of is his injury proneness. Worst case scenario is he'll give us 30 or so games and spends the rest of the season in the IR. Then again Ducks depth at defence could make it a risk worth taking IMO. I mean, Souray worked for a while, didn't he?

I'd bet money that nothing happens before December when it comes to improving the roster, though, since I think Murray is done for the moment.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wouldn't mind Green. That guy is money on the PP, and God knows Ducks need some help on that front. Only thing I would be very weary of is his injury proneness. Worst case scenario is he'll give us 30 or so games and spends the rest of the season in the IR. Then again Ducks depth at defence could make it a risk worth taking IMO. I mean, Souray worked for a while, didn't he?

I'd bet money that nothing happens before December when it comes to improving the roster, though, since I think Murray is done for the moment.

Is this 2010?

Green had as many points as Fowler on PP last season

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
Is this 2010?

Green had as many points as Fowler on PP last season

Points/60min (Powerplay)

Fowler 3.23
Green 4.71

That is just last season. I didn't even bother to look up previous years but I would bet Green's numbers look a lot better. It's true that Green's ability to stay healthy hinders all facets of his game, but he is still a weapon on the PP.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Points/60min (Powerplay)

Fowler 3.23
Green 4.71

That is just last season. I didn't even bother to look up previous years but I would bet Green's numbers look a lot better. It's true that Green's ability to stay healthy hinders all facets of his game, but he is still a weapon on the PP.

Ok, didn`t payed attention to that.

But Green is weak in his own end and that would bother me. Especially when that is one of the aspects we could upgrade already.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
For Green and Phaneuf, you guys will have to lose Vatanen in a deal for 1 of them...... Coburn and Boychuk, you wont.

Keep Vats... he will be a complete stud in 2 years

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Toronto's cap problems get solved with sending a number of guys to the minors. A lot of people see all those one-way contracts and think a trade is imminent but that's not true. The Toronto Marlies are just going to have a roster full of guys on NHL contracts. Phaneuf is their captain and best d-man. He's not going anywhere. Especially not for anything we'd be willing to give up.

The Flyers are always over the cap until the season starts and Pronger is officially on long-term injured reserve. They don't need to make a move. Same thing with Boston and Savard.

Washington isn't going to trade Green unless they're going to miss the playoffs. They have a good setup right now with three lefties and three righties on their blueline. If Mike Green is ever a Duck it'll be via free agency and even then I think he'll be seeking too much unless he wants to take a paycut to play for his old coach.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
If Ducks get Mike Green it will push Sami Vatanen out of the lineup. I would rather have Sami Vatanen in the lineup then Mike Green.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If Ducks get Mike Green it will push Sami Vatanen out of the lineup. I would rather have Sami Vatanen in the lineup then Mike Green.

The only attraction I see in Green is the PP ability and Sami could surpass him in that area at a fraction of the price. I've never been a huge Green fan though, he has obvious talent but just doesn't seen like the type of guy you go to war with.

Despite all the speculation I really don't see Phaneuf going anywhere, he's their best Dman until Gardiner and Rielly prove otherwise. They are trying to improve and their blueline would be much worse without him, ditto for Coburn in Philly.

Boychuk is the most realistic candidate there but I think Boston will be able to solve their cap issues without moving him.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Hasn't Green lost a lot of mobility? I don't think he's got much of what made him good in the first place.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Points/60min (Powerplay)

Fowler 3.23
Green 4.71

Damm that is a big difference.

It'd be interesting to see what it is and isn't when Ovechkin is on the ice

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
Hasn't Green lost a lot of mobility? I don't think he's got much of what made him good in the first place.

Yes he has. He still has his shot and vision, but his skating has definitely taken a hit due to countless injuries. I also don't think he is as good as he was 3-4 years ago, but he is still a very good offensive defenceman if healthy.

Damm that is a big difference.

It'd be interesting to see what it is and isn't when Ovechkin is on the ice

Yeah not a big difference I know. John Carlson kind of took his spot in Caps' top PP unit in mid-season. It's not like Green completely sucked, though, it's more like else someone came in and did a better job at it than he did.

I said that I wouldn't mind Green, but there is a bunch of risk involved, and I get why people wouldn't want to acquire him. I think I should've said earlier that I wouldn't do any deal for him, unless Ducks PP continues to be hot garbage that it was last season.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yes he has. He still has his shot and vision, but his skating has definitely taken a hit due to countless injuries. I also don't think he is as good as he was 3-4 years ago, but he is still a very good offensive defenceman if healthy.

Yeah not a big difference I know. John Carlson kind of took his spot in Caps' top PP unit in mid-season. It's not like Green completely sucked, though, it's more like else someone came in and did a better job at it than he did.

I said that I wouldn't mind Green, but there is a bunch of risk involved, and I get why people wouldn't want to acquire him. I think I should've said earlier that I wouldn't do any deal for him, unless Ducks PP continues to be hot garbage that it was last season.

A #2 defensemen with just injuries.

Not a ducks fan my brother is and saw you were searching for a Dmen. Top pairing defensemen are hard to get however I think with a mother defensemen that can do as well as fowler would give the ducks a strong case to be a top team. The acquisition of Kesler will make the 2nd line stronger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad