Teams coming back to earth

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Maybe. But it's been 5 games. Still a small sample size. Lots of teams start hot and miss the playoffs, and vice versa. It's far to early to lean one way or the other.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nah, still way too early to draw any conclusions about this season. Bottom 1/3 SF%, top 1/3 PDO. They could ride that trend all year but probably won’t.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Come from behind wins are fun from a story perspective but largely not how you want to win games

I've been wondering why they aren't better than they are for a couple years so it's not shocking to see some success. Where it goes? Who's to say. Play the games for a reason
True

But should it be called a come from behind win if they're only down one and the tying goal comes in the first or second period?

I would like to see em score the first goal

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
They are a 1 line team but I'm happy for them. If they can get someone for the 2nd line to join RNH they might be for real. The defense is coming along better then I expected they'd be.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
If the oilers pk keeps playing the way it is the oilers should be fine. Special teams is what has killed this team.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I wouldn’t use a Saturday matinee game against a team that hadn’t played in a week as a big barometer but yeah they’ve had a real good start and they should definitely make the playoffs if Smith can continue what he did last year with Calgary

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Except for Vegas, Pacific is wide open really, so Oilers can definitely be in the playoff picture. And they seem to be finally playing with some structure & pace.

However, McDavid & Draisaitl are both scoring at 2pts per game. If they can keep that up, they'll get in the playoffs on those 2 guys offense alone. Not sure that qualifies as a good "team."

Really the goaltending and the other guys just need to not f*** it up.

It's also going to take more than 5 games to get people's respect (does not include McDavid or Drai).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No. The Oilers have been so bad for ao long that they are going to need to prove it and 5 games won't do it.

To be honest I'm not sure what does do it, I mean they went to the 2nd round once and then went right back to sucking.

They might have to make the playoffs back to back years before people fully believe they turned a corner because again making the playoffs once didn't do it.

I don't know what it's going to take. But it's not 5 games

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Except for Vegas, Pacific is wide open really, so Oilers can definitely be in the playoff picture. And they seem to be finally playing with some structure & pace.

However, McDavid & Draisaitl are both scoring at 2pts per game. If they can keep that up, they'll get in the playoffs on those 2 guys offense alone. Not sure that qualifies as a good "team."

Really the goaltending and the other guys just need to not **** it up.

It's also going to take more than 5 games to get people's respect (does not include McDavid or Drai).

That the big thing, we’re in the Pacific which is arguably the weakest division in hockey.

Something feels different with this team this year guys are really buying into their roles and playing them effectively.

Our breakouts are night and day improved. The team also looks noticeably faster in all three zones.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
They'll go as far as McDavid and Draisaitl will take them. We'll see what happens when they inevitably slow down because they're averaging more than 2 points a game right now and they're not scoring 160 points.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I could care less about Buffalo or last year. Tippett is running the show here and the results are all that matters. So far, so good.
You're right, the results are all that matters. Which is why it's important to note that literally all Edmonton has achieved is five regular season wins.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
All their wins this year have been come from behind wins.

Early days but they are finding ways to win

The fact that every win they have is a come from behind win is actually not a good thing, it means you are falling behind every night and eventually those wins stop you can't do that every night

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The fact that every win they have is a come from behind win is actually not a good thing, it means you are falling behind every night and eventually those wins stop you can't do that every night
They have only trailed 40 minutes in 5 games.

It’s not like all 5 were won off last second goals.

only one was, and that was the New Jersey game.

Reactions: voxel

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
We are a head of them in the standings and were worse then one of the last year?

So how is the logic flawed?

I get that the Oilers have been on the bottom of way too many HF dogpiles over the years. I really do.

But the others threads existing doesn’t mean you should create one too- those shouldn’t have been created either.

Reactions: TB12

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Come from behind wins are more of a sign that a win streak is unsustainable than that a team is good. They could be a playoff team, but that's not a good reason for optimism in itself

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
With the Oilers it won't be time to call them legit until they're nearly clinched a playoff spot; if they make it that far. And I don't say that to dunk on the team either. Edmonton has just been so widely inconsistent that I'm not ready to back that horse until I see it go somewhere for more than a handful of games. I mean, it was what, three years ago they made the playoffs and everyone was going on about how the dark days were over. A year later and they were back in the basement.

That all said, they seem far better organized despite this being a very short sample size.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
With the Oilers it won't be time to call them legit until they're nearly clinched a playoff spot; if they make it that far. And I don't say that to dunk on the team either. Edmonton has just been so widely inconsistent that I'm not ready to back that horse until I see it go somewhere for more than a handful of games. I mean, it was what, three years ago they made the playoffs and everyone was going on about how the dark days were over. A year later and they were back in the basement.

That all said, they seem far better organized despite this being a very short sample size.

The season after the playoffs was marred by injuries to the D - Sekera, Larsson, Klefbom and Chia’s stupid trades and Talbot no longer playing like a Vezina candidate. You see the similar issues with teams like the Leafs... losing depth In the offseason means a few more losses here and there and then compound that with injuries and bad goaltending and you can slide 20pts in the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad