OT: Team young guns

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I get the logic behind it. They are trying to avoid entering teams that will lose easily 7-0 to the top countries.

As a canadian I wouldn't want to play against my home country.

Its new, it will take some getting used to.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It is a joke, a laughable joke as is the other combo team. That tourney will stink.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like it. Better than having to choose two crappy teams that didn't have to qualify for the tournament. Once they set up a qualifier, then they won't have these teams anymore.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It is for 2016.

After that the format will change (unless it is a great success).

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Why can't they simply use the world rankings right here and now to get team 7 and 8. The days of blasting the hell out of those teams is gone. Teams like Denmark, Swiss, Norway, Slovakia all play well enough to be considered. There will always be some lesser teams in an 8 team tourney. It is not country relevant if you start putting in combo teams and young guns.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
completely with you, OP. Ridiculous gimick, that makes the tourney seem less serious.

Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia, Czech, Finland, Slovak + any 1 of Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Latvia, Belarus, Kazakstan.

I know the reason they don't want this is because these last few countries (including Slovakia) don't have 20 NHL players, and they want only NHLers. If they feel NHLers only is a must, then they are deciding to have a insignificant little tourney. Not a real world competition. Spengler Cup for North Am.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
It is a joke, a laughable joke as is the other combo team. That tourney will stink.

Better to sign up Latvia and Norway for 11-0 massacres.
Tourney will stink, better stick with the current format of WCs and gems like the Spengler Cup.

Change is hard eh...?

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
This isn't world politics. Blurring borders and putting together different groups of elite hockey teams, regardless of nationality or age, seems like a novel and exciting idea to me.

How many times have you had or heard the conversation "If only Canada could send 2 teams, they could both medal..."? Now our top players under 24 have a legitimate change to compete on the highest Men's International stage.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...m-young-guns-roster-projected-connor-mcdavid/

Am I the only one who thinks this idea is a serious joke. I usually don't take hockey that seriously but I want to write a letter. International competition has to be international, country against country. Throwing in the young guns team looks like a desperate attempt at a few extra ratings.

Any one with me:help:

clip started with a guy doing radio wearing glasses--stopped before he open his mouth--sun glasses, inside on the radio?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
completely with you, OP. Ridiculous gimick, that makes the tourney seem less serious.

Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia, Czech, Finland, Slovak + any 1 of Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Latvia, Belarus, Kazakstan.

I know the reason they don't want this is because these last few countries (including Slovakia) don't have 20 NHL players, and they want only NHLers. If they feel NHLers only is a must, then they are deciding to have a insignificant little tourney. Not a real world competition. Spengler Cup for North Am.

Exactly, I mean where does it end. Why just make it a tournment of gimmicks. What the hell have a team of monkeys while your at it.

Yes, lets not get into politics, what do counties mean? lots and not much, fine, but the point is it is country vs country. That is what it is. This is such a lame gimick. Just make it a big all star game, Lame!!

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
I don't mind it.

I view it more like a foreshadowing for the Olympics when it's U23 like soccer is. This tournament may be a joke, but I bet the young kids don't want to be showed up by the older guys.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I don't mind it.

I view it more like a foreshadowing for the Olympics when it's U23 like soccer is. This tournament may be a joke, but I bet the young kids don't want to be showed up by the older guys.

Well it is funny, this is exactly what I am saying. It is a joke, but you don't mind it?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I absolutely love the idea. Can't wait and think it's going to be a huge hit and happen more often.

Oil Baron

Jun 15, 2009
Canada
I love it

They should make three teams
Over 30 team
25 to 30 team
Under 25 team

They could be the three best teams in the tournament

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Better to sign up Latvia and Norway for 11-0 massacres.
Tourney will stink, better stick with the current format of WCs and gems like the Spengler Cup.

Change is hard eh...?

Except those kind of massacres are rare these days.

What is the point of having this an 'intentional' tourney, no point at all. Just throw all players into a hat and pick out 8 teams of 30. It will have the same relevance.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's worth a try. I think they'll just get stomped but I'll be curious about it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Except those kind of massacres are rare these days.

What is the point of having this an 'intentional' tourney, no point at all. Just throw all players into a hat and pick out 8 teams of 30. It will have the same relevance.

Because it's fun to watch and the teams should all be relatively close in skill.

Hockey will never be the World Cup. Ever. So the sooner we get off of this idea that it has to be some wonderful international competiton the better in my mind.

It'll be great entertainment, with (hopefully) exciting and high end hockey, and I don't see Latvia there to lose every game to enjoy it.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Because it's fun to watch and the teams should all be relatively close in skill.

Hockey will never be the World Cup. Ever. So the sooner we get off of this idea that it has to be some wonderful international competiton the better in my mind.

It'll be great entertainment, with (hopefully) exciting and high end hockey, and I don't see Latvia there to lose every game to enjoy it.

I don't see why it will be great entertainment? I want to watch the best players play for their countries, not some hybrid team. I mean what does that even mean. You represent your age group?

Represent your country, get killed 11-0 wearing your countries jersey. That is what it is about. Why dont' we just add another team to the Olympics, you can also compete for your age group rather than your country. It doesn't make any sense. Sure it will never be the World Cup, but why should we make it a farce?

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I think its cool and its nice to see them thinking outside the box. It will make it interesting.. like, what if they win? we always talk about how canada could send two teams and both could win.. this is pretty dam close! some people are just never happy and prefer to be debbie downer

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think its cool and its nice to see them thinking outside the box. It will make it interesting.. like, what if they win? we always talk about how canada could send two teams and both could win.. this is pretty dam close! some people are just never happy and prefer to be debbie downer

It isn't being a debbie downer. Why don't we just play hockey with rocket packs on each players back. Wouldn't that be more fun? think out side the box right. Why not make a shark tank around the net, the players have to swim through it before they can score. Great idea right, thinking out side the box

A gimick is a gimick, it is being a downer, it is wanting to preserve the sport. Every other sport seems fine with player country and against country. Not age group against age group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad