WC: TEAM USA

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I was hoping for a North American final, as a Team Canada fan. Not to make excuses, but the USA looked a bit deflated after their heartbreaking loss yesterday. The USA had no business losing yesterday's game, and even today's game.

They looked like the best team of the tournament up to yesterday, and who would have predicted that they would lose to Germany and Latvia on back to back days of all the teams to lose to. It is a shame this US team is coming home empty handed. They deserved better than that, since 9 out of 10 times they beat Germany and Latvia.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Good for Latvia. That's a historic moment in their country's history.

Today's loss wasn't all that unexpected. They looked deflated, only some guys (i.e., Grimaldi) were going, DeSmith was not good, Quinn was still the coach, and Latvia was playing for history, their Mount Everest in hockey.

Classic USAH at the World Championship. Undefeated through 8 games. And then lose to Germany and Latvia in the medal rounds to unceremoniously flame out in 4th place. This is a massive failure - the type that should cause people at USAH to lose their jobs, even though it won't happen.

David Quinn has done nothing to deserve these endless opportunities with USAH. Is this finally the straw that broke the camel's back? He's a terrible coach and a perennial loser. All his teams do are monumentally fail and underachieve and he's the common thread.

The Vanbiesbrouck era needs to end. He never deserved the opportunity in the first place and he certainly hasn't proven he's the guy to improve the federation's trajectory, either. We can't have some third-rate executive pretending to learn on the job. USAH has enough resources to hire a top flight executive.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Only good thing that came out of this is now my youngest son, he is 9, is all aboard the USA Hockey train (maybe that's a bad thing as parents shouldn't wish disappointment on their kids lol)..

All three of my boys watched much of this tourney with me and that memory I will enjoy. My middle son has always been the biggest USA Hockey fan watching all the WJCs.

My youngest son cheered on 2 players the most..#19 and #20 ..."dad those 2 are going to be stars"....I definitely believe they will be, even a 9 year old can see it... The kids played well for most of this and Gauthier and Hutson have extremely bright futures.

DeSmith couldn't make the big save when needed and coaching absolutely blew. Typically our 2 biggest downfalls here year in and out.

The team played as hard as can be, I hope many come away with an appreciation here and believe it is an honor to represent your country as this was a young crew, hopefully some can continue to represent us again next year and beyond as a band of brothers.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Sounds good mate. It's good to start them young even I'm starting to really doubt moving my favorite teams forward when I have kids. All of them bring more pain than joy.

Reactions: AmericanDream

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think we need to dial back the "they overachieved" takes. Look at the other rosters at this tournament. This wasn't exactly a star-studded tournament. Most countries struggled to get top players to show up. It's not like we lost to a stacked Finland, Sweden, Canada, etc. as has happened in the past where you shrug a bit and just wish our top players wanted to play, too. These were not top flight opposition teams. Canada has continually had positive results here, sometimes with teams only equally as talented (or less) than what we've sent. Their roster here is not impressive. And yet they're in the gold medal game again while we choked again.

This team was talented, albeit young, inexperienced, and poorly coached. But they were one of the best, if not the best, teams in the first 8 games.

I don't care if we're sending our G team to this tournament, we should not lose back-to-back medal round games to Germany and Latvia. It should never happen. It's a sign of the rot at the core of USAH in the way it's run, managed, and coached. And if heads don't finally roll at USAH over these continual failures, it's only another indication of the rot and their apathy.

Last edited:

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
I was hoping for a North American final, as a Team Canada fan. Not to make excuses, but the USA looked a bit deflated after their heartbreaking loss yesterday. The USA had no business losing yesterday's game, and even today's game.

They looked like the best team of the tournament up to yesterday, and who would have predicted that they would lose to Germany and Latvia on back to back days of all the teams to lose to. It is a shame this US team is coming home empty handed. They deserved better than that, since 9 out of 10 times they beat Germany and Latvia.
They don't deserve better, they just lost back to back elimination games.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Send a joke roster and you get a joke result.

Is anyone surprised by the outcome? The world championships have become a joke. May be an actual Olympics would cause these guys to want to actually participate.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Has anyone heard from "Pavel Buchnevich"?

I know he's not everyone's cup of team, but I miss that guy - being sincere, not sarcastic.

Reactions: jj cale

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Once eliminated from the opening rd. of the playoffs The DRW come through Bigly for Red-White and Blue.

B TKACHUK​
J HUGHES​
C CAUFIELD​
M BOLDY​
D LARKIN
C KELLER​
F VATRANO​
B COLEMAN​
T TERRY​
J.T. COMPHER
A COPP
A TUCH​

T THOMPSON J GREENWAY​

Z WERENSKI​
B FARBER​
L HUGHES​
J MARINO​
J SANDERSON​
S JONES​
L HUDSON​
W BORGEN​

A LYON​
J DACCORD
J GIBSON​

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Some options from the euroleagues are Ryan Gunderson, Matt Caito and Michael Kapla. all 3 of them is top ds in SHL and NLA

In NCAA there is many good options. Gabe Perreault, Will Smith, Collin Graf, Cutter Gauthier, Jackson Blake, Rutger McGroarty, Ryan Leonard, Gavin Brindley, Seamus Casey, Zeev Buium, Lane Hutson

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The stars may be aligning this year for a Team USA Prague Powerhouse. If (A big IF) Vegas gets bounced in the opening rd, and Jackie Boy agrees to an invite.

A Canada v USA GMG would be a tremendous kickoff to my summer BBQ season.

B TKACHUK​
J HUGHES​
C CAUFIELD​
M BOLDY​
J EICHEL
C KELLER​
J.T. COMPHER​
D LARKIN​
A DEBRINCAT​
F VATRANO​
B COLEMAN​
T TERRY​

A TUCH T THOMPSON​

Z WERENSKI​
B FARBER​
L HUGHES​
J MARINO​
J SANDERSON​
S JONES​
L HUDSON​
W BORGEN​

A LYON​
J DACCORD​
J GIBSON​

Reactions: Eye of Ra

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I still say it is going to be a Canada v USA GMG this year! But I've been saying that for about a decade now. Law of averages has to eventually catch up.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad