Team USA report card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
beerpaul said:
:lol Savard is 1000 times better player than Shremp.
What are you talking about? No one said Schremp was better. Of course Savard's better - he's 9 years older. Not hard to figure out.

Don't use smilies you can't handle.

Mr Brownstone

Aug 31, 2003
596 miles away
I thought Hagemo was excellent against Russia in the first meeting, but other than that, he looked terribly overmatched, just like the rest of the defense. The forwards were good and I was very impressed with Ryan Callahan.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Since this is an overall report card on how they played in the tournament, I can't believe that no one has singled out Chris Borque for his excellent play. I thought that his injury coincided with the American's decline. Obviously Fritche was the best US player followed by Suter, Stafford, Callaghan and Kessel. O'Sullivan and Schremp were okay, but I expected a lot more out of both. The biggest dissapointment was Montoya ... he had absolutely no confidence in his game. The defensive corp as a whole was sub par.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i read, dont know if this is true, that lee was selected bc it was used as a recruiting tool by und.......if he chose that school, hed be named to the team, i dont know how true that is.

anyway, his selection was absolutely absurd. there are probably 15 other defensemen, 19 and 18 yr olds, that would have had more of an impact (especially with injuries). also there are 2 or 3 17 yr olds that id choose over him, specifically johnson who probably would have had as much of an impact as kessel if he was chosen, which we can all agree, was a major impact.

i think if the right players were chosen, the defense would have been a strong point. its nice to see the usa is choosing more chl players tho, unlike 5 years ago, which has helped the team out alot.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
I was at the entire tournament in Grand Forks, watched every US game and here is my complete report card of the US team.

Goalies:

Al Montoya (C-) Al played extremely well for short spurts, made some big saves but overall did not put 3 periods together the entire tournament.

Cory Schneider (Incomplete) Yes, he got the start against Belarus and let in three goals but it's tough to grade a goalie who played a little more than one period.

Montoya was not at his best, he let in some soft goals and this definately hurt the US team but the two goalies picked were the right ones. Everyone knew that for the US to succeed in this tournament Montoya had to play well, he didn't and it cost them. Coleman and Brown would not have been better choices as the backup, Schneider will be the guy next year and he needed this experience.

Defense:

Nate Hagemo (A-) In my opinion the US's best defensemen. Played with a shoulder injury the second half of the tournament, this kid competed harder than any of the other US defensemen by far. Played with grit and determination and was a bright spot in an otherwise bad defensive group.

Ryan Suter (B-) Yes, he had 8 points and made the all tournament team but overall I was disapointed in Suter. For a 3rd year guy and captain, I thought he looked uninspired most of the tournament. He made some poor decisions with the puck and hung his partner out to dry with many 2-on-1's. Also, he was not a physical presence at all. After watching Canada's Dion Phaneuf, I was looking for ALOT more from Suter.

Casey Borer (B-) Sick most of the tournament, played well and did what was expected of him. Nothing flashy. I felt he could have played more physical at times though.

Matt Hunwick (C+) Hunwick has been taking some knocks on this board and some people think he shouldn't have made this team, I disagree. Although not flashy, he was pretty sound.

Alex Goligoski (C-) I was really excited to see this kid play. Unfortunately, I was a bit let down. Good skater who moved the puck well at times. It was pretty clear to me that this kid was just not ready for a tournament of this caliber.

Jeff Likens (D-) Likens was awful, worst defensemen on the US team by far. I actually questioned his selection last year but there is no way he should have made this team. Granted, he was sick for a few games but sick or not he played terrible.

Brain Lee (Incomplete) Tough to give this kid a grade. Has all the tools to be a big time player down the road but it was a HUGE mistake taking this kid.

The US coaches really handicaped themselves by selecting Lee. It was obvious that down the stretch they couldn't play this kid and it really hurt when Borer got sick and Hagemo was injured. Terrible decision by the US coaches. The big problem on defense was that they basically picked 4 of the same defensemen (Hagemo, Hunwick, Likens and Goligoski) Hagemo was really the only one of the four who did a decent job at handling other teams bigger stronger forwards. I haven't seen Zach Fitzgerald play but it sounds like he could have added some grit/strength to the US club. I also would have liked to have seen Lashoff and Nickerson added instead of Likens and Goligoski.

Forwards:

Dan Fritsche (A) The US's best player in my opinion, did everything, power-play, penalty kill, he was great. Really worked hard despite being sick for the second half of the tournament. Columbus fans should be very excited for this Ohio native to put on the Bluejackets sweater.

Drew Stafford (A) This kid played his butt off. The hometown crowd loved him and rightfully so. Led the team in scoring with 5 goals and 4 assists and was a force on the ice. Like Fritsche, he did everything.

Phil Kessel (A-) Unbelievable skills!! Kessel can flat out fly and his hands are scary. Two of his goals against Sweden were highlight real. My only knock (and the reason I didn't give him an A) is that he tried the same move in every game. Sure against Sweden, a terrible team, they worked everytime but the next game against Russia they didn't work at all. For Phil to be a totally dominant player he needs to learn to use his linemates alittle better. Adding a few lbs. might help too. Overall though, an amazing talent. I look forward to watching this kid in the future.

Kevin Porter (A-) Ended the tournament with 3 goals and 2 assists in 7 games. Played extremely well in every situation, power-play, penatly kill, etc. Worked hard, finished every hit and competed his butt off. The U.S. team could have used a few more Kevin Porter's. In my opinion, Porter has to be the front runner to wear the "C" for the US team next year in Vancouver.

Ryan Callahan (B+) Another real competitor. Played hard and with an edge. Up and down winger who chipped in a goal and 2 assists. Took some stupid penalties at times though.

Chris Bourque (B+) He only played a little over 2 games but I thought the US team really missed his "in your face" play as the tournament went on.

Mike Brown (B) The US team knew what they were getting when they added Mike Brown to the roster, a hard nosed, up and down winger. Great penalty killer with awesome speed and strength. Not much offensive upside but played the role of a 4 line checking winger perfectly.

T.J. Hensick (B-) 2 goals and an assist for Hensick. Saw limited time, mostly as the 4th line center and second unit power-play. It seemed to me that he tried to do to much when he was on the ice to make up for his limited time. Most effective when he is using his speed and moving the puck to his wingers.

Shawn Weller (B-) This kid worked hard and threw his body around but nothing flashy here. Was the only US forward not to get a point. Not a great skater but like I said, he worked extremely hard. I felt that he looked a little lost when the US coaches moved him to a line with Fritsche and Stafford. Was way more effective as a 3rd or 4th line winger.

Jacob Dowell (C+) Another crash and bang winger. Great on the penalty kill and seemed to add some leadership. He had 3 assists but did little for me offensively, missing two breakaways.

Patrick O'Sullivan (C) O'Sullivan did nothing for me. He scored well (2 goals, 6 assists) but it seemed like Suter, he was uninspired. Floated around alot, hardly finished a check and played with little emotion. He had some flashes offensively but overall did not look like it was his third time in the tournament, I expected a lot more.

Robbie Schremp (C-) Very talented in the offensive zone, no doubt about that. Great shot and good vision around the net. Other than that, a very average player. Schremp didn't finish a check during the tournament. I don't think I've ever seen a player wave his stick more at an opponet (Is this Schremp's idea of defense???) Average skater with average speed. Didn't come close to playing a complete game. At times a great passer (made a sweet pass up the middle to Stafford one game to put him in on a break away) however, most of the time he would blindly throw the puck away, either off the boards or up the middle. Most of the times his passes were waist high.

Adam Pineault (D) Shouldn't have been on this team. Saw limited time and when he did, he looked lost. Has a heavy shot but didn't get it off much. Overall, very unimpressed. Pineault's game has really gone down hill from two years ago.

penkil2

Dec 5, 2003
MI
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I'll wait until after the bronze medal game to post my complete thoughts, but based on play to this point I was most impressed by: Stafford, Fritsche, Suter, Kessel, Callahan, and Porter, and most disappointed by Likens, Pineault, and Montoya. As for Schremp, I think he showed alot of skill and character, especially after riding the pine early on. He earned his expanded role, and played very well. I can't say whether his skating (as is) will hinder him at the next level or beyond, but I can see him putting up alot of points on the PP wherever he goes, and that's a trait I know Edmonton could use on their team.

Hard to be disappointed with players that didn't get ice time. The coaches failed in this regard and left players such as Hensick and Pineault sitting on the bench at critical times. Both players had numerous international experience and both were top scorers with the NTDP. The coaches according to the ESPN article were ill- equiped to coach this team and seemed to have their own interest as a priority. They (coaches) were a disgrace. The players were not disappointing, the coaches were the ones that made numerous mistakes in not using the talent they had on the team.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Spectacular_Bid said:
I was at the entire tournament in Grand Forks, watched every US game and here is my complete report card of the US team.

Goalies:

Al Montoya (C-) Al played extremely well for short spurts, made some big saves but overall did not put 3 periods together the entire tournament.

Cory Schneider (Incomplete) Yes, he got the start against Belarus and let in three goals but it's tough to grade a goalie who played a little more than one period.

Montoya was not at his best, he let in some soft goals and this definately hurt the US team but the two goalies picked were the right ones. Everyone knew that for the US to succeed in this tournament Montoya had to play well, he didn't and it cost them. Coleman and Brown would not have been better choices as the backup, Schneider will be the guy next year and he needed this experience.

Defense:

Nate Hagemo (A-) In my opinion the US's best defensemen. Played with a shoulder injury the second half of the tournament, this kid competed harder than any of the other US defensemen by far. Played with grit and determination and was a bright spot in an otherwise bad defensive group.

Ryan Suter (B-) Yes, he had 8 points and made the all tournament team but overall I was disapointed in Suter. For a 3rd year guy and captain, I thought he looked uninspired most of the tournament. He made some poor decisions with the puck and hung his partner out to dry with many 2-on-1's. Also, he was not a physical presence at all. After watching Canada's Dion Phaneuf, I was looking for ALOT more from Suter.

Casey Borer (B-) Sick most of the tournament, played well and did what was expected of him. Nothing flashy. I felt he could have played more physical at times though.

Matt Hunwick (C+) Hunwick has been taking some knocks on this board and some people think he shouldn't have made this team, I disagree. Although not flashy, he was pretty sound.

Alex Goligoski (C-) I was really excited to see this kid play. Unfortunately, I was a bit let down. Good skater who moved the puck well at times. It was pretty clear to me that this kid was just not ready for a tournament of this caliber.

Jeff Likens (D-) Likens was awful, worst defensemen on the US team by far. I actually questioned his selection last year but there is no way he should have made this team. Granted, he was sick for a few games but sick or not he played terrible.

Brain Lee (Incomplete) Tough to give this kid a grade. Has all the tools to be a big time player down the road but it was a HUGE mistake taking this kid.

The US coaches really handicaped themselves by selecting Lee. It was obvious that down the stretch they couldn't play this kid and it really hurt when Borer got sick and Hagemo was injured. Terrible decision by the US coaches. The big problem on defense was that they basically picked 4 of the same defensemen (Hagemo, Hunwick, Likens and Goligoski) Hagemo was really the only one of the four who did a decent job at handling other teams bigger stronger forwards. I haven't seen Zach Fitzgerald play but it sounds like he could have added some grit/strength to the US club. I also would have liked to have seen Lashoff and Nickerson added instead of Likens and Goligoski.

Forwards:

Dan Fritsche (A) The US's best player in my opinion, did everything, power-play, penalty kill, he was great. Really worked hard despite being sick for the second half of the tournament. Columbus fans should be very excited for this Ohio native to put on the Bluejackets sweater.

Drew Stafford (A) This kid played his butt off. The hometown crowd loved him and rightfully so. Led the team in scoring with 5 goals and 4 assists and was a force on the ice. Like Fritsche, he did everything.

Phil Kessel (A-) Unbelievable skills!! Kessel can flat out fly and his hands are scary. Two of his goals against Sweden were highlight real. My only knock (and the reason I didn't give him an A) is that he tried the same move in every game. Sure against Sweden, a terrible team, they worked everytime but the next game against Russia they didn't work at all. For Phil to be a totally dominant player he needs to learn to use his linemates alittle better. Adding a few lbs. might help too. Overall though, an amazing talent. I look forward to watching this kid in the future.

Kevin Porter (A-) Ended the tournament with 3 goals and 2 assists in 7 games. Played extremely well in every situation, power-play, penatly kill, etc. Worked hard, finished every hit and competed his butt off. The U.S. team could have used a few more Kevin Porter's. In my opinion, Porter has to be the front runner to wear the "C" for the US team next year in Vancouver.

Ryan Callahan (B+) Another real competitor. Played hard and with an edge. Up and down winger who chipped in a goal and 2 assists. Took some stupid penalties at times though.

Chris Bourque (B+) He only played a little over 2 games but I thought the US team really missed his "in your face" play as the tournament went on.

Mike Brown (B) The US team knew what they were getting when they added Mike Brown to the roster, a hard nosed, up and down winger. Great penalty killer with awesome speed and strength. Not much offensive upside but played the role of a 4 line checking winger perfectly.

T.J. Hensick (B-) 2 goals and an assist for Hensick. Saw limited time, mostly as the 4th line center and second unit power-play. It seemed to me that he tried to do to much when he was on the ice to make up for his limited time. Most effective when he is using his speed and moving the puck to his wingers.

Shawn Weller (B-) This kid worked hard and threw his body around but nothing flashy here. Was the only US forward not to get a point. Not a great skater but like I said, he worked extremely hard. I felt that he looked a little lost when the US coaches moved him to a line with Fritsche and Stafford. Was way more effective as a 3rd or 4th line winger.

Jacob Dowell (C+) Another crash and bang winger. Great on the penalty kill and seemed to add some leadership. He had 3 assists but did little for me offensively, missing two breakaways.

Patrick O'Sullivan (C) O'Sullivan did nothing for me. He scored well (2 goals, 6 assists) but it seemed like Suter, he was uninspired. Floated around alot, hardly finished a check and played with little emotion. He had some flashes offensively but overall did not look like it was his third time in the tournament, I expected a lot more.

Robbie Schremp (C-) Very talented in the offensive zone, no doubt about that. Great shot and good vision around the net. Other than that, a very average player. Schremp didn't finish a check during the tournament. I don't think I've ever seen a player wave his stick more at an opponet (Is this Schremp's idea of defense???) Average skater with average speed. Didn't come close to playing a complete game. At times a great passer (made a sweet pass up the middle to Stafford one game to put him in on a break away) however, most of the time he would blindly throw the puck away, either off the boards or up the middle. Most of the times his passes were waist high.

Adam Pineault (D) Shouldn't have been on this team. Saw limited time and when he did, he looked lost. Has a heavy shot but didn't get it off much. Overall, very unimpressed. Pineault's game has really gone down hill from two years ago.

I agree on many accounts, but while Pineault's grade may be accurate, he has had a very good year this year. I think the coaching staff under-utilized him, for whatever reason. But his game has not gone downhill this year. He's been very impressive in Moncton this season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hossa said:
I agree on many accounts, but while Pineault's grade may be accurate, he has had a very good year this year. I think the coaching staff under-utilized him, for whatever reason. But his game has not gone downhill this year. He's been very impressive in Moncton this season.

I agree. Pineault's strengths (such as his shot) weren't optimally used by the coaching staff, and that rendered him pretty much useless. He should have been a key man on the PP, and placed with a playmaker at even strength.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Hossa said:

I haven't had the opportunity to see Pineault suit up for the Wildcats so my grade was based solely on his performance at the WJC. I may have been a little harsh in saying he shouldn't have been named to the team but I was very unimpressed with his play in the tournament. However, I'm gald to hear that he's putting together a nice season in the Q.

beerpaul*

:eek: If Schremp was 27 and Savad was 18, Savard would still be 100 times better than Rob. No offense to Mr. Schremp...just the facts! :teach:
Seachd said:
What are you talking about? No one said Schremp was better. Of course Savard's better - he's 9 years older. Not hard to figure out.

Don't use smilies you can't handle.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
beerpaul said:
:eek: If Schremp was 27 and Savad was 18, Savard would still be 100 times better than Rob. No offense to Mr. Schremp...just the facts! :teach:
You make it sound like Savard is some kind of superstar in the NHL when he is really not. If Schremp reaches even 3/4 of his potential he'll be better than Savard is. The only real facts here are you homering Savard to Superman status. Anything can happen, but I tend to think Savard won't hold a candle to Schremp in the future. :p:

Reilly311

Oiltalk said:
You make it sound like Savard is some kind of superstar in the NHL when he is really not.

Well he was on pace to win the scoring title. I know he's not a household name, but neither was St. Louis until last year.

beerpaul*

:teach: 1: I'd be willing to wager that you haven't seen Savard play more than 5 minutes in your life. 2: Schremp won't even make the NHL. 3: Marc was second, only to Peter Forsberg, in a point per game average last year in the NHL. ....need I go on? :yo:
Oiltalk said:
You make it sound like Savard is some kind of superstar in the NHL when he is really not. If Schremp reaches even 3/4 of his potential he'll be better than Savard is. The only real facts here are you homering Savard to Superman status. Anything can happen, but I tend to think Savard won't hold a candle to Schremp in the future. :p:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad