Team USA: how good can they be?

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by blinkman360, May 15, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. blinkman360

blinkman360 Loyal Players Only

USA has a lot of talent that are either young NHLers or highly touted prospects. They have two very good young goaltenders in Miller and DiPietro, a few solid young defenders in Suter, Liles and Leopold as well as 2 incredibly strong defensive prospects in the Johnsons. At forward they have guys like Cole, Gionta and Gomez who are still relatively young, young guys just breaking in such as Kessel, Umberger, Stempniak, Stastny, Stafford, and Pavelski, and big time prospects like Kane, Ryan, Okposo, Mueller and Schremp pretty close to the NHL level(yes, including Kane).

Also don't forget guys like Drury and Rafalski will still be around and most likely contributing significantly come the '10 Olympics. I really think with all this young talent, especially with the majority of it playing at the NHL level already(or most likely being there next year), team USA could be pretty dangerous in the next couple of Olympic games.

Thoughts?

2. superstar436

superstar436 Registered User

sorry but I did not see higgins. I am a habs fan so you might call me a homer but believe me you will love him. He will play on the 2 lines.

3. MN_Gopher

MN_Gopher Registered User

medical
    Home Page:
    The thing with team USA. Is they finally have the depth. Size on and physical play on defense. But after all the upgrades they will still just be at best on par with the other elite countries of the world. For every Kessel we have there is a Crosby, Ovechkin, Gaborik. For every EJ there is a Phaneuf. For every well rounded Parise there is a Malkin. Team USA is getting better. But it is only closing the gap. Not creating seperation.

4. blinkman360

blinkman360 Loyal Players Only

Wow, can't believe I forgot him, being that I'm a Long Island native. Might as well add Komi to that list as well.

BTW, I apologize to any fans of teams who's players/prospects I forgot. It's just that there are so many and I'm a wee-bit tired right now.

5. USA is improving, no doubt, but so is every other country.

6. Erika

Erika Registered User

Operations Management
    Team USA would look like this:

Cole - Modano - Kessel
    Higgins - Rolston - Parise
    Tkachuk - Weight - Guerin
    Blake - Stastny - Stempniak
    Langenbrunner - Gomez - Parrish
    Malone - Drury - Gionta
    Umberger - Connolly - Stafford
    Cullen - Pavelski - Park

Hatcher - E.Johnson
    Hainsey - Komisarek
    J.Johnson - Rafalski
    Martin - Pothier
    Carle - Liles
    Suter - Leopold

Dipietro
    Miller
    Thomas
    Dunham
    Grahame

Looks okay to me... You can do at least 2 teams and they might be good enough to battle for medal rounds in the International tournaments...

7. Crossfire Hurricane

Crossfire Hurricane Formally Mr. Degenerate, Esq. Sponsor

What, no Esche?

8. Macman

Macman Registered User

The U.S. is consistently producing top-end talent now, just look at the draft in recent years, and will contend for most everything from now on. The next step, though, will be to produce a generational talent like Crosby, Lemieux, Gretzky or Orr in the way Canada seems to every decade or so.

9. MN_Gopher

MN_Gopher Registered User

medical
    Home Page:
    Keith Ballard should be in there too.

10. DevilsFan38

DevilsFan38 Registered User

med student
    What about Chelios? ;)

I agree, I'm really excited about the US team for 2010. They've got a ton of skill, especially at forward - Kane and JVR will probably also be ready by the time of the next Olympics.

11. Burgs

Burgs Registered User

So should Ryan Whitney.

12. Erika

Erika Registered User

Operations Management
    I knew that I forgot some Peeps :)

13. Faktisti*

Faktisti* Guest

ye usa sounds strong, but its so difficult to say will kessel or JVR and the others be so fantastic. usa players are and will be drafted very hogh, but is it because they are so good or because they have played together in junior teams for so long time? are they so good than they look like? i may sound pessimistic, but what comes to JVR i wouldnt be so sure that he will be in USA olympic team after 3 years

14. Nash

Nash Registered User

If I was planning a squad for the USA, I would definitely remove the geriatrics from the lineup. No more Modano, Weight, Guerin, Tkachuk, Hatcher or Chelios. You got to remember this isn't going to happen for 3 years and some of those guys will retire by then or be well past their prime.

Cole-Drury-Kessel
    Parise-Gomez-Gionta
    Higgins-Stastny-O'Sullivan
    Langenbrunner-Rolston-Stafford
    Mueller or Kane

J. Johnson-E. Johnson
    Corvo-Rafalski
    Carle-Ballard
    Liles or Whitney

Dipietro
    Miller
    Howard

15. Rochester22

Rochester22 Registered User

I don't know if you meant to compare those two players or not but Parise, and Malkin are pretty much complete opposites.

16. Rochester22

Rochester22 Registered User

Parise - Gomez - Gionta
    Higgins - Stastny - Kessel
    Cole - Drury - Langenbrunner
    Stafford - Rolston - O'Sullivan

J. Johnson - Rafalski
    Liles - E. Johnson
    Carle - Komisarek

Miller

17. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

pretty good squad IMO. I dont know how ready O'sullivan will be, but I think Kane will be ready to dance by then. I cant really leave out Ryan Suter either. But I also think Stempniak will be there too. but finally starting to get some depth at all positions.

18. I am looking more towards 2014 as the year where our young players mature and we have a legit chance at a gold medal. I wouldn't waste many 2010 spots on guys past their prime, have guys like Rolston/Drury/Langenbrunner etc and then try to use it as a learning experiance for guys you are projecting for 2014.

19. go_habs_go

go_habs_go Registered User

i play hockey
    Home Page:
    I just made up 3 Canadian teams here...i know there are players that i probably missed and some that are where they shouldnt be, but regardless i think they are 3 good teams that would compete.

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
    Heatley - Spezza - Thornton
    Smyth - Lecavalier - St Louis
    Briere - Sakic - E.Staal

Niedermayer - Pronger
    Phaneuf - Boyle
    Campbell - Redden

Luongo
    Brodeur

Cheechoo - Gagne - Shanahan
    Doan - Marleau - Kariya
    Cammelleri - Richards - Williams
    Bertuzzi - Savard - Tanguay

Souray - Phillips
    Bouwmeester - Hannan
    McCabe - Boucher

Giguere
    Emery

Murray - Bergeron - Pominville
    Getzlaf - McDonald - Sullivan
    Ryder - J.Staal - Horton
    Wellwood - Roy - Toews

Jovanovski - Brewer
    Bieksa - Rivet
    Bergeron - Blake

Turco
    Fleury

20. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    I think this year's World Championships will prove to be a nice starting point for what should be improvement on the world stage leading up to the Olympics in 2010. There is clearly a plan in place within USA Hockey (led by the four man management group: Poile, Burke, Shero, and Waddell) to utilize the burgeoning American talent that has been the pipeline for the last few years. I think the U.S. will be a legit challenger for not only World Championships medals over the next few years, but also in Vancouver in 2010 (and beyond). Here's who I see as the core players pool over the next few years:

Goaltenders:

Miller, DiPietro, Schneider, Montoya, Howard, Bacashuhia.

Defensemen:

Komisarek. Rafalski, Martin, Greene, Ballard, Suter, Carle, Liles, Leopold, E. Johnson, J. Johnson, Gleason, Orpik, Whitney, Preissing, Corvo, Niskanen, Gilbert, Chorney, Pothier, Lebda, Alberts, Stuart, Lashoff, Hainsey.

Forwards:

Blake, Cole, Drury, Higgins, Eaves, Kessel, O'Sullivan, Brown, Stafford, Malone, Legwand, Ryan, Kane, Schremp, Callahan, Cullen, Rolston, Stempniak, Grier, Pavelski, Skille, Stastny, Arnason, Kesler, Schremp, Oshie, Gomez, Gionta, Parise, Langenbrunner, Dubinsky, Umberger, Okposo, Lewis, Mueller, Fritsche, Connolly.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  21. TPS 61*

TPS 61* Guest

Tack on Danny Fritsche and Ron Hainsey to that list.

22. TPS 61*

TPS 61* Guest

Not all of those guys are American. Actually, a lot of them aren't.

23. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager

Name ONE.

24. therealdeal

therealdeal Registered User

I couldn't see any. :dunno:

The thing about Team USA is that I don't see any superstars on the teams named so far, and I think thats a good thing. You really only need one, and probably in the next 3 years one of these players will be. I feel like with teams like Canada and Russia there are too many cooks in the kitchen. There needs to be a #1 player in every position, and everyone should fall in line behind that person.

25. Nash

Nash Registered User

USNDP has done a great job developing players. I think that some of the scouting services have overhyped some of their prospects in the past few drafts. Guys like Komisarek, Nystrom, Suter, Jessiman, Stuart, Wheeler, Thelen, Ryan, Skille, and Lee were all drafted higher then they should have been. That being said, I don't think the US will suffer lack of depth in the future anymore.

Considering that the highest scoring US player this year in the NHL was a rookie (his Slovak father was the second highest scoring player in the 80's), it is not surprising that you don't see anybody considered to be a superstar right now. He was 30th in the league, Blake was 45th, Drury 46th and Rolston was 59th. This competition is 3 years away. In that time, Dipietro could challenge for a Vezina. A few of Gomez, Kessel, Kane, Stastny, Gionta and Parise will get an American above 30th in league scoring. I don't see any of the defensemen winning the Norris in that time as defensemen usually don't until they are over 25, but they should be seasoned and solid. They probably won't be considered a team that should medal, but they will be building a foundation for 2014 and with the young squad they have and playing on a North American rink, you never know, they could surprise a few skeptics.