U18: Team USA at the Hlinka

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yep. None of the defensemen have stood out in a positive way in the tournament. And the PP has been atrocious even if it scored twice. PP has been the big difference in today's game. An oddly this is a poor skating US team, as USAH usually focuses on skating when choosing rosters.
I feel like Pitner has actually been pretty good. I know he hasn't had any points, but he's also had 0 PP time, and he's been paired with a defenseman that's struggled a lot. He's had to cover a lot for Bales. Keefe (and to a lesser extent Hendricks) has at least not been overtly bad too.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I feel like Pitner has actually been pretty good. I know he hasn't had any points, but he's also had 0 PP time, and he's been paired with a defenseman that's struggled a lot. He's had to cover a lot for Bales. Keefe (and to a lesser extent Hendricks) has at least not been overtly bad too.

I think Pitner and Keefe have been the most passable guys so far, but that's more because the other guys have been so bad than because they've been playing well. There have just been so many trainwrecks defensively (McLaughlin, Felicio, Kleber as the primary culprits) that they look okay in comparison.

The defense has been a major disappointment. Not because there are a bunch of high-end prospects here that are underperforming (a decent amount of this defensive group will be lucky to get drafted), but because there was enough pedigree and experience here for them to be a lot better as a group than they've been. It's been a failure in a host of ways from player performance to role deployment to chemistry. The defense hasn't shown up in any way.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Coming away with a medal at the Hlinka is a always a win given that we send our B-/C+ team to this tournament. They were aided a bit by the fact that this wasn't a great Hlinka in terms of team quality or overwhelming individual talent.

The team was very hit or miss throughout. There were stretches where they looked in sync and able to challenge the best teams here, but not often enough. It was primarily the porous defensive play and PP, and to a lesser extent the inconsistent goaltending, which continually sunk the team. It wasn't a great skating team either.

Connelly was the standout and carried the team. Other guys had their moments but not consistently enough to increase the team's chances.

The medal is nice but USAH still needs to overhaul their approach to the Hlinka. It's too important of a tournament to treat it like the World Junior A Challenge.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I liked Zellers a lot to go with Connelly but those were the only two that stood out positively to me. Zellers reminded me a lot of Jake Guentzel at the same age, similar efficiency with the puck and finishing abilities, though not as obviously well coached as Jake was.

Team was definitely gassed at points, its summer hockey and theres not much cohesion, so I am going to keep an open mind about the other players still too in the future. Park was not a strong performer at all in my eyes, but the summer excuse works for him, there are some good tools there definitely, but he looked very far from being an NHL player.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I go into every tourney hoping to play for a medal. Helps me not drive myself insane. Hlinka, in particular, is a tourney where we should adjust expectations accordingly ( based on rosters, obviously)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I liked Zellers a lot to go with Connelly but those were the only two that stood out positively to me. Zellers reminded me a lot of Jake Guentzel at the same age, similar efficiency with the puck and finishing abilities, though not as obviously well coached as Jake was.

Team was definitely gassed at points, its summer hockey and theres not much cohesion, so I am going to keep an open mind about the other players still too in the future. Park was not a strong performer at all in my eyes, but the summer excuse works for him, there are some good tools there definitely, but he looked very far from being an NHL player.
Interesting you mention Zellers. I thought he leached points and played poorly. I could not believe how many points he ended up with when I saw the scoresheet (Felicio too in that regard). Can't really skate, 5'9/5'10, doesn't have high end puck skills, doesn't create a lot with hockey sense or playmaking. As you said, the finishing was there, but that's about it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't have a draftable grade for him.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
Interesting you mention Zellers. I thought he leached points and played poorly. I could not believe how many points he ended up with when I saw the scoresheet (Felicio too in that regard). Can't really skate, 5'9/5'10, doesn't have high end puck skills, doesn't create a lot with hockey sense or playmaking. As you said, the finishing was there, but that's about it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't have a draftable grade for him.
He found a lot of good open looks with his offensive hockey sense and his shot is good

More likely goalie play from all teams in this tournament wasn't the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad