U18: Team USA 2023 U18 Championship

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Didn't see a thread for this year's team. We're always favorites at this (despite not much success lately), but this should be an even better squad than usual. The 05s should have several first round picks and the two U17 promotions in Eiserman and Hagens.
Think anyone from outside the NTDP has a chance? OHL: Musty (down 2-0 in first round), Terrance (missed playoffs), and Brzustewicz. USHL: McCarthy and Whitelaw. Realistically it would only be 1 or 2 at the most probaably.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hutson is a U17 promotion, too. Brzustewicz is too old but they would benefit the most from adding defensemen. McCarthy and Mania probably the best targets. Musty would be a good add. Whitelaw won't be available as he'll be in the USHL playoffs, as will the guy who would probably be their top target: Andrew Strathmann.

Reactions: JiggsNY

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I wonder why Terrance but not Musty. With Celebrini going for Canada you'd figure Whitelaw would have had the option as well. Granted, I don't expect the team to hurt for offense either way, but would be interesting to know the rationale.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Even first, second was a little lopsided and third was close. We are almost there.lol

I'm not googling but 9-2 might also be the score of the US women against the Czech women in the Semi's on Saturday.

Cracks me up that the US site has no Czech stats.. doesn't even say who scored our 2 goals.lol

NTDP only has them because they track all NTDP player stats throughout the season. USA Hockey's website doesn't link to that box score; they just have a recap.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Cerrato, Burnevik and Tobey were cuts?

Cut in the sense that they've been with the U17s since Eiserman, Hagens, and Hutson were promoted. They haven't been under consideration for the tournament since.

The team still needs to cut 2 skaters to finalize the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: SK94

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Terrance is good. Overlooked because Erie is trash right now, but he's got an opportunity to impress people in this tournament.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Cut in the sense that they've been with the U17s since Eiserman, Hagens, and Hutson were promoted. They haven't been under consideration for the tournament since.

The team still needs to cut 2 skaters to finalize the roster.
How do you feel about that? A kid is chosen for the 18s and goes to class with that group, trains with that group, plays with that group and then gets demoted to the 17s.

I understand the competition is fierce and the kids are probably told (hope so at least) on day 1 that nothing is a given.

I just feel for those demoted.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
How do you feel about that? A kid is chosen for the 18s and goes to class with that group, trains with that group, plays with that group and then gets demoted to the 17s.

I understand the competition is fierce and the kids are probably told (hope so at least) on day 1 that nothing is a given.

I just feel for those demoted.

I feel for them but I have no problem with it. The program (or any team) would be a disaster if players were just guaranteed everything for 2 years. Most of the players who are demoted are guys that were never up to this caliber of play, anyway. If anything the NTDP is too conservative on demotions or adding non-NTDP players for the IIHF U18. I'd like to see them ramp up the intensity on players earning their spots, both for the IIHF U18 but also to carry on with the program after their U17 season.

What I don't like is dragging out the cuts. Those should be made earlier so the cuts aren't flying home by themselves and missing time they could have spent playing meaningful games with the U17s. They've had Weiermair and Janviriya for nearly 2 seasons. They shouldn't need to fly them overseas for a couple more practices and an exhibition to make decisions.

Reactions: clevelandcane

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I feel for them but I have no problem with it. The program (or any team) would be a disaster if players were just guaranteed everything for 2 years. Most of the players who are demoted are guys that were never up to this caliber of play, anyway. If anything the NTDP is too conservative on demotions or adding non-NTDP players for the IIHF U18. I'd like to see them ramp up the intensity on players earning their spots, both for the IIHF U18 but also to carry on with the program after their U17 season.

What I don't like is dragging out the cuts. Those should be made earlier so the cuts aren't flying home by themselves and missing time they could have spent playing meaningful games with the U17s. They've had Weiermair and Janviriya for nearly 2 seasons. They shouldn't need to fly them overseas for a couple more practices and an exhibition to make decisions.
It's a double-edged sword. The chance to play for USA at the U18s is a big draw to attract kids to the program. If it's just an open tryout again in a couple years, well playing in the OHL doesn't look so bad of an option either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad