Team Systems: Why Do the Oilers Struggle?

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
For longer than I care to remember, one of the most common or prevalent knocks on this team was it’s failure to commit to / execute systems properly. Whether it’s a Defensive system (what 5 skaters do in their end of the ice) or an Offensive system (what 5 skaters do to maximize scoring opportunities), there seem to be problems in succeeding. Why is that? We’ve had different coaches, players, and situations over the years, yet this has been a struggle. Clearly, successful teams do a better job of implementing their systems, while poor teams seem to have no or little structure.​
Some thoughts - which I expect to have challenged - that I’ve gathered over the past few years are as follows:​
( For purposes of examples, I regard Tampa Bay Lightning as a successful systems team and I use the Oilers as having little structure/ success).​
1. Successful teams address the what’s and the HOWS of deploying their systems. When teams have a large proportion of skilled, experienced, bright and committed players, it’s usually enough to detail the what’s of the system to be successful, and deal with how’s where specific understanding is needed. Jon Cooper is excellent in that role and can focus on strategic/ tactical stuff.​
2. When the team is comprised of mostly “average “ players ( think of the Canes), there is much more attention given to the hows to make sure the players are up to speed. Rod Brindamor is the perfect coach for the Canes because he is detailed and committed to teaching the hows. The systems are taught in an almost choregraphic manner, so there’s no misinterpretation or loose ends. Practices are focused on reinforcing the details…working in pod groups…and drill, drill, drill.​
I know this may sound simplistic, but I think that Woodcroft needs to be “less Cooper and more Brindamor”…..do not assume the players get it because they know “what’s “ expected….drill down to ensure the players’ reactions are nearly instinctive and always certain. How else to explain the fact that they all know what is needed and continually fail to get it right?​
Thanks for bearing with me…look forward to your thoughts folks!​

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Because management thinks you can still win like it was the 80s, outgunning every team in your path without regard for defense.

The Oilers gameplan is simple: Let Connor/Leon do whatever they want and hope the other lines hold serve. That's how it's been since McDavid was drafted.

You can pretty much set your watch to certain events in any Oilers games:
1. Early penalty that takes the wind out of their sails.
2. Entering the third period with a multi-goal lead, give up an early goal and spend the rest of the game panicking.
3. Odd man rushes that accomplish nothing because no shots were taken.
4. Spend an entire shift in the offensive zone simply passing the puck without thinking about taking any shots.

I really couldn't tell you what the system is besides "Pray the big guns put up points because god knows nobody else will".

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's frustrating, because in the late 90s through until the 05/06 run, team systems were a strength. Especially when MacT was a coach. He'd make some odd personnel choices, like his obsession with Marty Reasoner types, but overall, he always had a pretty good, grind them down type system in place.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Because management thinks you can still win like it was the 80s, outgunning every team in your path without regard for defense.

The Oilers gameplan is simple: Let Connor/Leon do whatever they want and hope the other lines hold serve. That's how it's been since McDavid was drafted.

You can pretty much set your watch to certain events in any Oilers games:
1. Early penalty that takes the wind out of their sails.
2. Entering the third period with a multi-goal lead, give up an early goal and spend the rest of the game panicking.
3. Odd man rushes that accomplish nothing because no shots were taken.
4. Spend an entire shift in the offensive zone simply passing the puck without thinking about taking any shots.

I really couldn't tell you what the system is besides "Pray the big guns put up points because god knows nobody else will".
It definitely starts at the top and if our leaders can’t or won’t play within a structure then that will filter down the rest of the lineup. It seems like 97/29 feel like they have to always carry the offensive load so they take unnecessary risk to drive offense but maybe if they focused their efforts on contributing to keeping GA down then there wouldn’t be such a need for them to score so much.

We have a problem giving up goals early in the start of periods and more often then not it’s Mcdavid or Draisaitls line out there getting scored on. Teams have picked up on that our best offensive players are going to take risks early trying to get ahead and they play hard, apply pressure and many times capitalize on unnecessary risks early. From there we’re chasing the game and the risks just keep piling up while we chase offense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It definitely starts at the top and if our leaders can’t or won’t play within a structure then that will filter down the rest of the lineup. It seems like 97/29 feel like they have to always carry the offensive load so they take unnecessary risk to drive offense but maybe if they focused their efforts on contributing to keeping GA down then there wouldn’t be such a need for them to score so much.

We have a problem giving up goals early in the start of periods and more often then not it’s Mcdavid or Draisaitls line out there getting scored on. Teams have picked up on that our best offensive players are going to take risks early trying to get ahead and they play hard, apply pressure and many times capitalize on unnecessary risks early. From there we’re chasing the game and the risks just keep piling up while we chase offense.

I don't really buy this. Even if those two want to play a different way ... on what planet does that justify like a guy on the 3rd line going "well dur hur, I guess I can play however I want too".

No you can't you f***ing dumb ass.

Do you really need to have it explained to you as a player that you're not Connor f***ing McDavid and he gets leeway to take some risks like every dynamic offensive player ever in the history of the sport (Gretzky, Lemieux, etc.).

Did players like Mac T on the 80s Oilers look at Gretzky, who maybe back checked twice in his life, and go "gee, I can play that way too".

How f***ing stupid is this team when they can't understand that concept.

If you are not McDavid or Draisaitl you have to a certain way you can play to be successful. It feels like only Zack Hyman understands this concept.

Reactions: perseus

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don't really buy this. Even if those two want to play a different way ... on what planet does that justify like a guy on the 3rd line going "well dur hur, I guess I can play however I want too".

No you can't you f***ing dumb ass.

Do you really need to have it explained to you as a player that you're not Connor f***ing McDavid and he gets leeway to take some risks like every dynamic offensive player ever in the history of the sport (Gretzky, Lemieux, etc.).

Did players like Mac T on the 80s Oilers look at Gretzky, who maybe back checked twice in his life, and go "gee, I can play that way too".

How f***ing stupid is this team when they can't understand that concept.

If you are not McDavid or Draisaitl you have to a certain way you can play to be successful. It feels like only Zack Hyman understands this concept.
Our top 6 is generally who’s giving up damaging early goals causing us to chase the game, or taking penalties disadvantaging the team. Even Hyman’s game has noticeably changed playing next to those two with more of a focus on keeping up with them trying to score instead of balanced play. I remember one of the games on the road trip where the opposition scored early by turning the puck over and holding the zone and there was Mcdavid and Hyman skating in the neutral zone praying for an odd man rush.

Scoring starts in your own end, working as a 5 man unit, working hard below your hash marks and along the boards, winning battles, supporting the puck.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think a lesson needs to be learned from the Blues and Kings. When they play against us, every square inch of ice is contested and they are miserable to play against.

Now look as us, we allow teams to freely move up and down the ice. How many breakaways have we given up so far this year? 5?

Gotta tighten things up and get more physical if we are going to climb the standings.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Our top 6 is generally who’s giving up damaging early goals causing us to chase the game, or taking penalties disadvantaging the team. Even Hyman’s game has noticeably changed playing next to those two with more of a focus on keeping up with them trying to score instead of balanced play. I remember one of the games on the road trip where the opposition scored early by turning the puck over and holding the zone and there was Mcdavid and Hyman skating in the neutral zone praying for an odd man rush.

Scoring starts in your own end, working as a 5 man unit, working hard below your hash marks and along the boards, winning battles, supporting the puck.
The top 6 has to play more risky because the bottom six can't do anything. There's a reason top heavy teams don't win anything. The top players are by no means perfect but imagine where this team would be in the standings if they got even just a little more help.

The team currently only has 7 players with more than 5 points, and Kane is currently injured. The Oilers have some of the worst depth in the entire league. Relying on McDavid/Draisatl to put up numbers every single game is a strategy that's doomed to fail. They are going to have rough games/periods/shifts. That's why the really good teams get a boost from depth players like the Kings did the other night.

Let's take a look at the top team in the standings right now: The Bruins. Using that same metric I used earlier, the Bruins have 14 players with at least five points. Marchand/Pastranak don't score every game so they'll sometimes get a goal from Zacha or Coyle or whoever the hell Frederic is. Where's that on the Oilers? If McDavid/Draisatl don't score the team loses. Opposing teams will focus on those guys to force them or their linemates to make mistakes (turnovers, penalties, etc) because they know they don't need to worry about Nogoal or Shore or whoever.

The Oilers might have had the top scorers in last year's playoffs but the Avs won the Cup on depth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't even think that's even factual, looking back at the first games of the season, Holloway gifts Petterson a free breakaway 2 minutes into the Oilers season. Down 0-1 immediately. Who's fault is that again? Second game Campbell kicks out a bad rebound on a routine point shot and Murray is not able to engage with his man net front of who scores. A few minutes later Kulak falls over his own feet to gift Kadri a breakaway goal.

Buffalo game they give up a goal to Dahlin on 4 on 3 PK.

Honestly I think starts are largely a byproduct of coaching. Woodcroft needs to cut the Disneyland shit and run hard practises. When your best player is saying you as a team don't have intense practises, it's a giant ass red flag.

This team's coaching/management continually falls into the trap of thinking they are the Cup winning Penguins or something any time they have even a bit of playoff success. They're not. You need to stay on this group's ass and work them hard in practise, they cannot just "turn it on" in the regular season without the adrenalin of the playoffs.

Reactions: perseus

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Excellent posts. Totally agreed. If the topsix are not playing the structure its not being example to the club. Further the EV play of drai in particular continues to drop off. 33players have as many EV pts as Drai has. Yet he's 2nd in the scoring race, primarily due to the PP, and getting most of his pts on the PP.

Matthew Tkachuk of all people have as many EV pts as Connor McDavid but while sporting very low GA and thus +8. Jason Robertson, is +10 and has one less EV pt than McD. Erik Karlsson who I dislike has decided to play hockey this year and is owning the NHL and has 22EV pts, 5 more than anybody else, and is somehow a plus player on a bad club.

Our two stars are now seemingly content to play wide open games because its the best chance they get their points. But the GA for all are high. Hyman has horrendous GA this season and last, in relation to what his production is. It matters.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Excellent posts. Totally agreed. If the topsix are not playing the structure its not being example to the club. Further the EV play of drai in particular continues to drop off. 33players have as many EV pts as Drai has. Yet he's 2nd in the scoring race, primarily due to the PP, and getting most of his pts on the PP.

Matthew Tkachuk of all people have as many EV pts as Connor McDavid but while sporting very low GA and thus +8. Jason Robertson, is +10 and has one less EV pt than McD. Erik Karlsson who I dislike has decided to play hockey this year and is owning the NHL and has 22EV pts, 5 more than anybody else, and is somehow a plus player on a bad club.

Our two stars are now seemingly content to play wide open games because its the best chance they get their points. But the GA for all are high. Hyman has horrendous GA this season and last, in relation to what his production is. It matters.
So you cut back on the pointgetters and you lose games because nobody can score worth a damn. If McDavid/Draisatl don't score this team doesn't win. End of story.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
The top 6 has to play more risky because the bottom six can't do anything. There's a reason top heavy teams don't win anything. The top players are by no means perfect but imagine where this team would be in the standings if they got even just a little more help.

The team currently only has 7 players with more than 5 points, and Kane is currently injured. The Oilers have some of the worst depth in the entire league. Relying on McDavid/Draisatl to put up numbers every single game is a strategy that's doomed to fail. They are going to have rough games/periods/shifts. That's why the really good teams get a boost from depth players like the Kings did the other night.

Let's take a look at the top team in the standings right now: The Bruins. Using that same metric I used earlier, the Bruins have 14 players with at least five points. Marchand/Pastranak don't score every game so they'll sometimes get a goal from Zacha or Coyle or whoever the hell Frederic is. Where's that on the Oilers? If McDavid/Draisatl don't score the team loses. Opposing teams will focus on those guys to force them or their linemates to make mistakes (turnovers, penalties, etc) because they know they don't need to worry about Nogoal or Shore or whoever.

The Oilers might have had the top scorers in last year's playoffs but the Avs won the Cup on depth.

I mean this also begs the question as to why we can’t seem to have any depth no matter what moves are made.

You look at the Avs, Bolts and Bruins and they’re able to draft and develop guys that can produce and fit in their lineups.

Our version of that has produced JP, Yamo, McLeod, and Holloway. None of which are really producing at the moment. All of which are 1st or 2nd round picks.

Our FA additions of Janmark, Shore and Ryan do nothing as well. Falling into the same trap as Turris, Kahun and anyone else who we’ve signed into the bottom 6. Same goes with trades a la Foegele.

The strangest part is all of these guys (execpt maybe Shore) have a history of producing and being effective players on other teams.

It’s just bewildering that we’re still having the same problems despite changing GMs and firing 2 coaches.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I mean this also begs the question as to why we can’t seem to have any depth no matter what moves are made.

You look at the Avs, Bolts and Bruins and they’re able to draft and develop guys that can produce and fit in their lineups.

Our version of that has produced JP, Yamo, McLeod, and Holloway. None of which are really producing at the moment. All of which are 1st or 2nd round picks.

Our FA additions of Janmark, Shore and Ryan do nothing as well. Falling into the same trap as Turris, Kahun and anyone else who we’ve signed into the bottom 6. Same goes with trades a la Foegele.

The strangest part is all of these guys (execpt maybe Shore) have a history of producing and being effective players on other teams.

It’s just bewildering that we’re still having the same problems despite changing GMs and firing 2 coaches.
The Oilers haven't drafted well since the glory days. Their pro scouts also often target crappy players who vanish the instant they put on the Oiler sweater.

This GM sought to gift Kassian a multi-year extension after a month or so of elevated play when stapled to McDavid. Whoever might be making the decisions for the team is doing a terrible job of it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers haven't drafted well since the glory days. Their pro scouts also often target crappy players who vanish the instant they put on the Oiler sweater.

This GM sought to gift Kassian a multi-year extension after a month or so of elevated play when stapled to McDavid. Whoever might be making the decisions for the team is doing a terrible job of it.

Oilers drafting is just crap. The only really impactful player they've drafted since McDavid is like Bouchard, and lets be honest Bouchard is definitely more like a no.4/5 D at this point and doesn't really help the Oilers win too many games.

Maybe Stuart Skinner they've finally found a pick that make a difference, but it's very early.

You look at even who Calgary and Vancouver have drafted since from the McDavid pick onwards and they smoke the Oilers.

Flames: found Adam Fox (thankfully he didn't want to play for them) the Norris trophy winner, Rasmuss Andersson, Andrew Mangipane, Oliver Kylington, Dube, all drafted outside of round 1.

Canucks: Petterson, Boeser, Hughes, not like the Oilers haven't had similarily high picks (three top ten picks for the Oilers even after McDavid).

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

I mean that’s true. You would think that even a broken clock is right twice a day so we’d at least get something good…

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It’s simply up to the players at this point. The team has holes (all teams do) but they’re good enough to make the playoffs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I mean that’s true. You would think that even a broken clock is right twice a day so we’d at least get something good…
I think back to the '07 draft when we had 3 picks in the first round. Couture went a few picks after Gagner. Pacioretty went not long after Plante and Nash. Backlund/Perron went not long after Pacioretty. Sure it's hindsight but there's a lot of drafts, even recently, where that same story could be told.

The Oilers best draft pick outside the top 10 in the cap era is Eberle. After that... f***, I don't even know.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think back to the '07 draft when we had 3 picks in the first round. Couture went a few picks after Gagner. Pacioretty went not long after Plante and Nash. Backlund/Perron went not long after Pacioretty. Sure it's hindsight but there's a lot of drafts, even recently, where that same story could be told.

The Oilers best draft pick outside the top 10 in the cap era is Eberle. After that... f***, I don't even know.

It's probably actually Klefbom (drafted by Tambellini). But yeah it's been shit ever since then outside of top 10 picks and the Oilers have even gotten several of those wrong.

We've had almost 50 draft picks since the McDavid pick and really not one player from that group of 50 picks actually is a notable difference maker for the team. Maybe Skinner will be but even if he is, that's still a dismal track record for an organization that loves to talk "draft and develop!". Draft and develop my ass.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's probably actually Klefbom (drafted by Tambellini). But yeah it's been shit ever since then outside of top 10 picks and the Oilers have even gotten several of those wrong.

We've had almost 50 draft picks since the McDavid pick and really not one player from that group of 50 picks actually is a notable difference maker for the team. Maybe Skinner will be but even if he is, that's still a dismal track record for an organization that loves to talk "draft and develop!". Draft and develop my ass.
That's true, Klefbom was damn good, and signed for a very reasonable contract. He's sorely missed.

But outside of the first round, it's a complete wasteland.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A team's first 10 minutes of play in a game I think is at least 60% practise habits.

If you don't practise hard you will start games slow ... nothing about that really should be shocking.

I think the coaches here are afraid of running hard practises because they know with the poor roster construction that they have to run certain players ragged during the season and don't want to have taxing practises.

That's true, Klefbom was damn good, and signed for a very reasonable contract. He's sorely missed.

But outside of the first round, it's a complete wasteland.

We can't even get top 10 picks right anymore.

Since McDavid we've been gifted 3 more top 10 picks and not one of those picks has amounted to a big impact player.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Here’s one: John Marino.

That one hurts a few different ways.

Reactions: Aerchon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So you cut back on the pointgetters and you lose games because nobody can score worth a damn. If McDavid/Draisatl don't score this team doesn't win. End of story.
You realize teams can W games 4-2 instead of 6-4 right? I'd take a performance that is more focused on outscoring than pts any time going. All other things being equal. We're paying McDrai 23M to be +2 players that have dropped off in EV production and that have considerable GA.

The way to look at it is your topsix should be staking out W's and goal differential further to getting W's Thats how the good clubs tend to get it done. Top lines on those clubs are usually owning.

On our club this season McDrai are having modest EV results and differential which contributes to us being a ,500 club instead of better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You realize teams can W games 4-2 instead of 6-4 right? I'd take a performance that is more focused on outscoring than pts any time going. All other things being equal. We're paying McDrai 23M to be +2 players that have dropped off in EV production and that have considerable GA.

The way to look at it is your topsix should be staking out W's and goal differential further to getting W's Thats how the good clubs tend to get it done. Top lines on those clubs are usually owning.

On our club this season McDrai are having modest EV results and differential which contributes to us being a ,500 club instead of better.

But you weren't saying this in the playoffs, right? Even though they were playing the exact same fire wagon style then and allowing the same amount of GA and getting down in games early too (in the Flames series, the Flames I believe were up 2-0 in 3/5 games ... and still lost, lol).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad