WC: Team Switzerland 2022

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
JvP out with a knee-injury for 6-9 months (probably means he tore his ACL). I guess that means we'll see another Genoni/Berra duo (if they don't retire). Don't see another goalkeeper who could play at this level currently.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
JvP out with a knee-injury for 6-9 months (probably means he tore his ACL). I guess that means we'll see another Genoni/Berra duo (if they don't retire). Don't see another goalkeeper who could play at this level currently.
Absolutely, shame for JvP. Also shows that there will be big big gaps to fill once they really do retire. Our youngsters have to take big steps in their developments to get to the level we usually need our goalies to be in international competition.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Roster for the first week of training camp:

Melvin Nyffeler (SC Rapperswil-Jona Lakers), Philip Wüthrich (SC Bern)

Santeri Alatalo (HC Lugano), Michael Fora (HC Ambrì-Piotta), Lukas Frick (Lausanne HC), Andrea Glauser (Lausanne HC), Roger Karrer (Genève-Servette HC), Simon Le Coultre (Genève-Servette HC), Romain Loeffel (HC Lugano), Nathan Vouardoux (SC Rapperswil-Jona Lakers)

Christoph Bertschy (Lausanne HC), Nando Eggenberger (SC Rapperswil-Jona Lakers), Joshua Fahrni (SC Bern), Jason Fuchs (Lausanne HC), André Heim (HC Ambrì-Piotta), Luca Hischier (HC BIenne), Ken Jäger (Lausanne HC), Mike Künzle (HC Bienne), Marco Miranda (Genève-Servette HC), Damien Riat (Lausanne HC), Noah Rod (Genève-Servette HC), Tristan Scherwey (SC Bern), Calvin Thürkauf (HC Lugano)

Haas, Rathgeb, Descloux, Pestoni, Müller, Fazzini, Genazzi, Moser and Praplan the biggest names missing, though only Haas and Müller are big losses. I'd also have given Aebischer a shot.

Still a pretty strong first roster.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Haas and Müller are real surprises. Both not really old yet. Maybe they opted out.
Choosing Vouardoux over Aebischer is strange.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Müller missed both pre-playoff games so there must be some injury. Maybe he will join later.

Haas must be injured too, I can't imagine him not making this roster. He wasn't a lock for the final team though.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Siegenthaler is apparently out for the season with a broken hand. This is really disappointing since he really improved a lot this season and could have been a massive upgrade on our mistake prone d-corps. Hopefully Hischier will come out unharmed of the rest of the regular season on this injury ravaged Devils squad.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Ouch, that's a tough one after Müller, though Siegenthaler is very mistake prone too. Still, I would have loved to see how much he improved. Hopefully Kukan will be available.

And of course, Nashville goes out quickly.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Ouch, that's a tough one after Müller, though Siegenthaler is very mistake prone too. Still, I would have loved to see how much he improved. Hopefully Kukan will be available.

And of course, Nashville goes out quickly.

I thought he was incredibly reliable defensively for the Devils this season. No comparison to last year. I have more confidence in him now than on most other swiss d men in that regard...

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I haven't watched any NHL in months (not a big fan of hockey leagues that are active in February) so I'll take your words for it. Still, I'd surprised if his breakout passes improved that much. He's usually good for a few turnovers a game.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, would have loved to see Siegenthaler. I read a lot of positives about his season.

I mean it's always about Josi. With him we're probably a medal-contender. Without him it's going to be tough anyway. Beside Kukan I really hope that Moser returns to the game soon and will be available. But I also really hope that some of the younger guys can finally jump in. I always liked Karrer and I really think he could play WC.

From the team still in the playoffs I'd guess:
Kreis
Dominik Egli
Marti
Weber
Diaz
could be possibilities. And that's not a lot.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I haven't watched any NHL in months (not a big fan of hockey leagues that are active in February) so I'll take your words for it. Still, I'd surprised if his breakout passes improved that much. He's usually good for a few turnovers a game.

What?

Reactions: kudla

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Let's look for a new assistant-coach. Wohlwend should be fired after tonight.

Thats not going to happen. Wohlwend is probably going to apologize publicly and state in a few interviews that he will start meditating and better himself. Then everything will be hunky dory again. Its not like Weibel and Fischer will sack their buddy over something like this. Everything short of him actually hitting people or something like a sex scandal will not impact his job security whatsoever. He will probably remain on the coaching staff until Fischer leaves or at least until his first heart attack that is inevitably going to happen if he keeps this up.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Would you guys be okay with Rickard Grönborg as new headcoach?
I wouldn't be that excited, honestly I think he's overrated. He has one of the better rosters in the league and I'm not overwhelmed. Zurich is still in the playoffs but I don't think they're achieving what the possibilities enable and any other coach wouldn't have lesser results

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
And there seems hope for Siegenthaler who had surgery and hopes to be ready in 2 or 3 weeks.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Davos and Fribourg are out.

So Candidates for next week:

Aeschlimann
Dominik Egli
Ambühl
Corvi
Nussbaumer
Prassl
Berra
Diaz
Mottet
Schmid

Depth on D is quite thin. Don't see anyone else in this teams. Jung? Sutter?

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Davos and Fribourg are out.

So Candidates for next week:

Aeschlimann
Dominik Egli
Ambühl
Corvi
Nussbaumer
Prassl
Berra
Diaz
Mottet
Schmid

Depth on D is quite thin. Don't see anyone else in this teams. Jung? Sutter?
JJ Moser is back in Arizona lineup, at least.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
The way Josi plays this season, it would be so sick to get him. Add Hischier, Meier (who are both playing very good lately), Suter, JJ Moser, maybe Kurashev and Kukan, Berni, that could be hell of a team.

Reactions: jaro and filip85

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad