WJC: Team Sweden 2024 U20 WJC roster talk

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Getting outplayed at home vs Switzerland in a QF. Outplayed like always vs decent to good teams. Hope everyone resigns

I think the only problem today was that the team took the win for granted, like they always do against teams that are significantly weaker on paper. No one admits it, but it's a fact beyond all doubt.

Against a team like Czechia it's a different story. I fully expect these guys to come into the semi as a completely different team.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I think the only problem today was that the team took the win for granted, like they always do against teams that are significantly weaker on paper. No one admits it, but it's a fact beyond all doubt.

Against a team like Czechia it's a different story. I fully expect these guys to come into the semi as a completely different team.
Czechs just kicked out juggernaut Canada and was in finals last year, they have a great team

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Hävelid and the staff got to drink more coffee before the semis. You got the second best team in this tournament, and you almost got them to choke against a Switzerland that is not even strong for their standards. Playing Forsfjäll and Rudslätt(two players who arguably should not be here) in crucial moments is criminal. It's a short event, and your biggest job should be just motivating the players in a short time span. Defenceman looked absolutely cooked in this game, and our biggest strength can't be that if we want a shot against the czechs, let alone the US.

Not at all a fan of the 2nd line, kind of feeling like I'm going to be regretful for not getting a united Djurgården trio. I get that they want spread out the scoring, but the 2nd line has not worked either way. Bystedt had some easy PP goals in the groups, and Öghren has been completely snakebitten. Why not rotate FUS and Wahlgren around. especially considering how much FUS could bring to a static center (Bystedt). Or just make the Bystedt line a more aggresive checking line, and play the 4th less. Makes no sense to lack in offensive bravery and poise, and then play players who lack in creating offense. At this point, our gold chances are up to Östlund and Lekky stealing another one from the US.

I still can't handle that I saw a faceoff line of Forsjäll and two D in overtime at the world juniors. Might be the most bizarre coaching choice ever, and that says alot for a swedish team. Just shows how defeated we were.

This is the hope I'm trying to hold on to. This team is way too good on paper to go out like this. This was the most hopeful I had been for a swedish JWC team in forever, and I didn't mind the first three games. But following a bad game against Finland with this is one not instilling confidence. Remains to be seen.

I said this in the game thread, but I hate how commentators and likely the writers will talk about "host country nerves". Doesn't seem to hurt the north american teams, and how many times have we not underperformed in playoff games outside sweden?

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

I do like Hävelid's answers, much better than how a lot of former Swedish NT coaches would answer. So time to put his money where his mouth is.
At least its not just ”nä men det blir så här ibland men jag är ändå stolt över grabbarnas prestation” Translation
”well shit can happen to the best of us but I’m still proud of the way the boys performed”

Btw is it just me or are they completely worthless on faceoffs?

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Btw is it just me or are they completely worthless on faceoffs?
They keep stats on this, so we can actually take a look.

IIHF site has the top 30 players in faceoffs listed. Here are the numbers for Sweden:

Tourney Rank​
Player​
FO Won​
FO Lost​
FO +/-​
FO %​
11​
David Edstrom​
37​
32​
+5​
53.62​
14​
Noah Ostlund​
51​
47​
+4​
52.04​
22​
Zeb Forsfjall​
31​
32​
-1​
49.21​
25​
Filip Bystedt​
25​
27​
-2​
48.08​

All in all, Sweden didn't fare terribly on the draws, but there's certainly lots of room for improvement. Canada and the US each have two of the top four players in this category. The only Swiss guy on the list is at 30th with just under 46%, so the Swiss definitely need to work on this. LOL

Reactions: EK47

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
They keep stats on this, so we can actually take a look.

IIHF site has the top 30 players in faceoffs listed. Here are the numbers for Sweden:

Tourney Rank​
Player​
FO Won​
FO Lost​
FO +/-​
FO %​
11​
David Edstrom​
37​
32​
+5​
53.62​
14​
Noah Ostlund​
51​
47​
+4​
52.04​
22​
Zeb Forsfjall​
31​
32​
-1​
49.21​
25​
Filip Bystedt​
25​
27​
-2​
48.08​

All in all, Sweden didn't fare terribly on the draws, but there's certainly lots of room for improvement. Canada and the US each have two of the top four players in this category. The only Swiss guy on the list is at 30th with just under 46%, so the Swiss definitely need to work on this. LOL
This is whats weird because from what I saw it seemed like the swiss won more of the important draws against Sweden. But as I said I might very Well be wrong.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
If I am Vancouver though I am asking St Louis what they want for Lindstein because that pairing is absolute money
Yeah right, what does Vancouver want for Willander? :naughty:

Blues aren’t trading the best dman in this tournament and by far best in their prospect pool.

Reactions: Blueston

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Yeah right, what does Vancouver want for Willander? :naughty:

Blues aren’t trading the best dman in this tournament and by far best in their prospect pool.
Willander would cost more than Lindstein. More to defense than scoring ;)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Willander would cost more than Lindstein. More to defense than scoring ;)
Agreed Willander would cost more, but because of draft position not because he’s better defensively than Lindstein.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Good luck tomorrow. Rooting for you guys. Keep it tight and use your PP like in the quarters and and semis. Don't get naive. Try to lower the tempo 5v5 if possible.
You guys have Pellikka, Lekkerimäki and Östlund. That should be the difference.

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Unfortunate ending, no point in complaining about some of the non-team related issues. Better goalie won this, and even though the US player by player were a slightly more skilled lineup, I give this group big props for what I consider an overall strong final performance. Really happy that a team that had dissapointed me for the better part of the three previous games came to play in this one, and I expect great careers for some of these guys. Östlund is just the best, Öhgren has so much intensity, and while I have had my gripes with him, Lekky brings so much scoring potential. Really happy about the 05s overall as well, all three defenceman for me deserve massive props, and will need to carry next years team tremendously. Stenberg and FUS are already great, and will hopefully be even better next year.

I hope the federation really takes note of the combination of skill and intensity we need to school our players with to compete with the bigger nations in the future. This age group is off course talented, but what sets them further apart from some of our weaker years is the skill and the grit. Something I hope we see more focus on, because we have a lot of skilled players in the younger age groups right now, but we will need the other parts as well. Don't have the raw amount of players to just f*** around compared to the larger hockey nations.

Reactions: Blueston

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Why would anyone anywhere call Hävelid ”Goalie of the tournament”?

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
We really needed more from our second line with Öhgren and Bystedt for us to have a chance, I had much higher expectations on those two. Good team but the US team were clearly one step above.

On to 2025

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad