Post-Game Talk: Team Sucks 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Currently in the Southern USA no Jets coverage and nothing but crappy American announcers.

I seen the score, but how did the Jets play overall? Just looking at the stat line looks like a close game. Thoughts?
You can get all the games online, I got them in Mexico online and in HD to boot

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Please, you're triggering my fantasies... :naughty:
tenor.gif

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I still think they came out slightly too hard. It looked absolutely fantastic with the amount of huge hits and good play to follow but I feel like that extra energy used might have contributed to the mental lapse in the 3rd. Scale it back 10% in the first tomorrow and I feel confident they win. Overall I think it's still a very winnable series. That might also be contributing to all the anger and frustration. We all know they are capable of being the best team in the league because they have shown it on many occasions. Makes it a hard pill to swallow.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Our Jets losing game 1 may have been the best thing to happen to our team.

It may focus our players to actually be following the approved systems to a T for the full sixty minutes.

Also losing sucks and especially in the playoffs it’s magnified big time...

Our players need to keep the puck on their sticks and have the Blues fight for the right to have the puck instead of throwing it up the middle and watching it come right back into our own end...

It’s like when we were kids and played keep away...

Keep the dam puck away from the blues period...

Go :jets Go

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The 3rd period was brutal. Over and over again the Jets would leave their zone, have their 2nd pass picked off, and the Blues are coming back with speed. It was a transition nightmare. If the Blues play like that again the Jets are toast.

The first period was obviously much different. The missed scoring chances ended up killing the Jets and ultimately costing them the game. Having a 1 - 0 lead just isn't enough against a team like the Blues. It doesn't force them to take chances and they can just keep doing their thing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
.552 ? I don't see how thats possible when you are essentially going to a best of five with the other team having home ice advantage. Very strange stat if true.
Its possible because the home team is usually stronger. Basically if the home team splits at home to start a series historically they have a .552 chance of winning that series.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The 3rd period was brutal. Over and over again the Jets would leave their zone, have their 2nd pass picked off, and the Blues are coming back with speed. It was a transition nightmare. If the Blues play like that again the Jets are toast.

The first period was obviously much different. The missed scoring chances ended up killing the Jets and ultimately costing them the game. Having a 1 - 0 lead just isn't enough against a team like the Blues. It doesn't force them to take chances and they can just keep doing their thing.

Agree on the third - and a bunch of people have already called out that we didn't have much left in the 3rd.

The signs were there that we were exhausted - back to flipping the puck out of our zone and dump / chase from all lines - including the guys that can carry it through the zone.

St Louis playing "rope a dope" through the first two periods and then us coming out in the third to be met by what appeared to be a fulled rested and relentless Blues squad.
And I thought we rolled our lines very similar to theirs -

Gotta be a lesson in there somewhere.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The jets played a good first, but I still can't get the number of 2-on-1s the Jets gave up in the 1st + that Tarasenko breakaway.

I thought up until the goal the Jets were extremely tentative and fragile. If St. Louis scored first it could have been a far different game. The Laine goal was a big momentum swing, in a way I'm not sure a single goal has mattered for the Jets in a very long time.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
So if we ran out of gas in the 3rd, like some think, isn't that more concerning than anything. They had great pace for half the game but I don't think that was enough to empty the tank. Jeezuz they played far more balls out last year and they rarely emptied the tank by the 3rd.

I think it was more a combination of sitting back a bit and some mental mistakes.

There's no way they should have been out of gas.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
In the playoffs a one goal lead is nothing especially in a tight back and forth game.

Look what happened to the 3 goal lead in the Tampa vs Columbus game.
It ended up a 1 goal lead :naughty:

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
So if we ran out of gas in the 3rd, like some think, isn't that more concerning than anything. They had great pace for half the game but I don't think that was enough to empty the tank. Jeezuz they played far more balls out last year and they rarely emptied the tank by the 3rd.

I think it was more a combination of sitting back a bit and some mental mistakes.

There's no way they should have been out of gas.

I know. They didn't play any harder than they did last season, and they managed that pace for 2 months and 2 playoff series. Now we should defend our team for tiring out after 1.5 periods, when we've been told this whole season that they've been "saving it for the playoffs" and "flipping a switch"?

I don't understand how people can argue that. If so, then our team has a serious conditioning problem that should be stressed in the off-season.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I know. They didn't play any harder than they did last season, and they managed that pace for 2 months and 2 playoff series. Now we should defend our team for tiring out after 1.5 periods, when we've been told this whole season that they've been "saving it for the playoffs" and "flipping a switch"?

I don't understand how people can argue that. If so, then our team has a serious conditioning problem that should be stressed in the off-season.

There is no such thing as flipping a switch or at least it doesn't happen from one game to another imo. I think you have to practice going full out for 60 min and this years Jets has only done that like 5 times... maybe. I don't know how they would keep up that pace if they haven't practiced playing at that pace all season. I don't think it's an excuse as it's the team own fault imo but it could help partially explain the 3rd period collapse.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
There is no such thing as flipping a switch or at least it doesn't happen from one game to another imo. I think you have to practice going full out for 60 min and this years Jets has only done that like 5 times... maybe. I don't know how they would keep up that pace if they haven't practiced playing at that pace all season. I don't think it's an excuse as it's the team own fault imo but it could help partially explain the 3rd period collapse.

Which is even more concerning. If you have one 3rd period collapse you can chalk it up to a bad game or an off night, but to collapse 10 times this season when having the lead in the 3rd, that is a pattern. And a pattern should be recognized by all involved and steps taken to rectify it. If it’s conditioning then deal with it before the playoffs. But whatever the cause, JMO, it looks like it has not been addressed... and that’s where the biggest concern is. Is management not concerned about multiple collapses or do they not even see the problem?

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Which is even more concerning. If you have one 3rd period collapse you can chalk it up to a bad game or an off night, but to collapse 10 times this season when having the lead in the 3rd, that is a pattern. And a pattern should be recognized by all involved and steps taken to rectify it. If it’s conditioning then deal with it before the playoffs. But whatever the cause, JMO, it looks like it has not been addressed... and that’s where the biggest concern is. Is management not concerned about multiple collapses or do they not even see the problem?
I think everyone looks at the talent on the team and think it will just rectify itself eventually.

It doesn't always go that way.

Reactions: cbcwpg

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What would you like management to do between game 1 and 2 of the playoffs? Chevy's job is done for this year's team. He is basically a fan at this point in terms of playoff success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad