Team Russia 2018 Olympics Defense

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
What do you guys think the state of Russian dmen is? Is there improvements or we are still in a stalemate with no progress?

One possible lineup if everybody keeps developing as predicted

Vyacheslav Voynov
(28, SKA top 2) - Dmitry Orlov (27, Capitals top 4)

Dmitry Kulikov (28, Panthers top 6) - Alexei Emelin (32, Habs top 6)

Ivan Provorov (21, Flyers top 6) - Nikita Zaitsev (27, Leafs top 4)

Other possibilities: Nikita Nesterov, Alexei Marchenko, Nikita Zadorov.

Markov will be 40 years old, so i think we rather give him some rest.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Ideally Zadorov, Paygin and Gavrikov continue developing and earn spots.

I don't want Kulikov, Voynov nor Emelin anywhere near this team. Love Orlov, Zaitsev and Provorov of course. Marchenko will be solid too.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Would be great if Sergachev is an NHL regular by then. He can do it although I prefer to at least see a guy at World Juniors before projecting his pro upside.

Nevertheless I think he is the real deal, but it might take him several years to become really good.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Yeah, I guess the main thing is that guys like Paygin and Sergachev won't be able to develop to be Olympic team dmen by 2018 so we probably will have to use Voynov and Emelin

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Also, I don't know about you guys, but I'm totally convinced that right now North America is the place to go for our young dmen as it's preparing them for NHL style play way better

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Ideally Zadorov, Paygin and Gavrikov continue developing and earn spots.

I don't want Kulikov, Voynov nor Emelin anywhere near this team. Love Orlov, Zaitsev and Provorov of course. Marchenko will be solid too.

I definitely agree with you about Voynov and Kulikov. Voynov cost Russia almost every time he was on the ice in Sochi, but particularly against Finland, and Kulikov just doesn't belong on the same ice as the international elite, IMO. I'll take Emelin (wish there was more to look at) because of his defensive nature and physical toughness, which is often lacking for Russia in these kinds of tournaments. Love Zadorov, Paygin and Gavrikov, although Zadorov is quickly being turned into an AHL player.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Also, I don't know about you guys, but I'm totally convinced that right now North America is the place to go for our young dmen as it's preparing them for NHL style play way better

How many Russians who are now top-level NHL defensemen have gone the CHL/USHL route? Zadorov is currently playing in San Antonio of the AHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What do you guys think the state of Russian dmen is? Is there improvements or we are still in a stalemate with no progress?

One possible lineup if everybody keeps developing as predicted

Vyacheslav Voynov
(28, SKA top 2) - Dmitry Orlov (27, Capitals top 4)

Dmitry Kulikov (28, Panthers top 6) - Alexei Emelin (32, Habs top 6)

Ivan Provorov (21, Flyers top 6) - Nikita Zaitsev (27, Leafs top 4)

Other possibilities: Nikita Nesterov, Alexei Marchenko, Nikita Zadorov.

Markov will be 40 years old, so i think we rather give him some rest.

When will ppl realize Kulikov has no business here? And Zaytsev denied all Leafs rumours.

Zaytsev - Orlov

Zadorov - Provorov

Nesterov - Marchenko

Sergachyov/Paigin - Voynov

Emelin, Chudinov if they do not regress.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
When will ppl realize Kulikov has no business here? And Zaytsev denied all Leafs rumours.

Zaytsev - Orlov

Zadorov - Provorov

Nesterov - Marchenko

Sergachyov/Paigin - Voynov

Emelin, Chudinov if they do not regress.

Again, I would add the criminally underrated Gavrikov to this list. I think it 2 years he will be very solid.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
All viable options. They just need to show progress until 2018.

Agreed, but at the same time, the weakness on defense is glaring, and it makes me wonder whether it effectively takes Russia out of contention for Gold or Silver.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Agreed, but at the same time, the weakness on defense is glaring, and it makes me wonder whether it effectively takes Russia out of contention for Gold or Silver.

They aren't the favorites, but favorites don't always win. I still think that they should bring a strong contending team to the tournament.

Quality coaching is needed.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
How many Russians who are now top-level NHL defensemen have gone the CHL/USHL route? Zadorov is currently playing in San Antonio of the AHL.

Voynov(AHL), Provorov, Zadorov, Nesterov(AHL).

Now, when we look at the recent experience of our top KHL dmen that went straight to NHL it's not looking that good - Belov, Medvedev.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
None of those are top-level NHL defensemen. Medvedev has been all right in the NHL.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Canada is better at developing defensemen. It's the only position where a move to CHL might not be a terrible idea.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Voynov(AHL), Provorov, Zadorov, Nesterov(AHL).

Now, when we look at the recent experience of our top KHL dmen that went straight to NHL it's not looking that good - Belov, Medvedev.

If I recall correctly, Voynov and Nesterov spent their junior years in Russia before going to the AHL after being drafted by the NHL.

I am not saying that you're wrong, but I don't see any compelling evidence to show that going to the CHL will bring better results for the player than playing in the KHL, for instance. The KHL is widely recognized as the second best hockey league in the World, so its hard to say that playing in the CHL against junior age players only is a better experience.

If a future in the NHL is the only consideration, then its possible that CHL rink size and the style of play will be closer to what the player will have to adapt to in his NHL career. But considering all of the other language, cultural and general living adaptations that must be made by 17-year old kids, you could also reasonably argue that the odds are too greatly against it. So far, its hard to identify any glaring examples of defensemen who have shown remarkable development after playing in the CHL.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
None of those are top-level NHL defensemen. Medvedev has been all right in the NHL.

We don't have any top level NHL defensemen , simple as that. Medvedev has watched a handful of games from the press box. I would hardly consider it an all right performance considering the expectations

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
If I recall correctly, Voynov and Nesterov spent their junior years in Russia before going to the AHL after being drafted by the NHL.

I am not saying that you're wrong, but I don't see any compelling evidence to show that going to the CHL will bring better results for the player than playing in the KHL, for instance. The KHL is widely recognized as the second best hockey league in the World, so its hard to say that playing in the CHL against junior age players only is a better experience.

If a future in the NHL is the only consideration, then its possible that CHL rink size and the style of play will be closer to what the player will have to adapt to in his NHL career. But considering all of the other language, cultural and general living adaptations that must be made by 17-year old kids, you could also reasonably argue that the odds are too greatly against it. So far, its hard to identify any glaring examples of defensemen who have shown remarkable development after playing in the CHL.

Well, the thing is that our ultimate goal is the best on best tournament success and 90% of those best players are in the NHL. Therefore we need our players to be competitive , and they can only achieve that by playing in that league.

So far the evidence is that our homegrown defensemen in most cases just can't perform on the highest level straight in the NHL and need to adjust to the NA style of play through junior leagues or AHL

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
I'm all for that our young defensemen are leaving for CHL or others NA junior leagues to develop their skills. Look at Sergachev. Before this season he was considered as more defensive minded defenseman and now his offensive capabilities was phenomenally upgraded to a whole nother level. Who knows what would have happened if he decided to stay in Russia. Provorov is product of NA system and he's considered as our best young defenseman and he proved that on past WJC tourney. Zadorov is another story. His lacking of high hockey IQ could hurt his career and OHL has nothing to do with it. And I've just never really been impressed with Kulikov. Lack of hockey sense as well as attitude problems played a low-down trick with him and it was always clear his skills had never actually translated well to NHL. But we still have guys like Paigin and Orlov who have legit top-4 potential coupled with kids like Serg and Provo who have legit top paring if not 1D potential. 2018 Olympics defense still will be meh, but 2022... Watch out guys.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I still don't see any compelling benefit in going to NA, but the fact is, the matter has been settled. They are all leaving Russia as fast as they can get out!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad