Team Russia 1996 (best possible) vs Team USA 2026 (projected)

Which lineup is stronger?

• Team Russia 1996

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Team USA 2026

Votes: 50 62.5%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Well if it's a best possible then we get a minimum 100 point Jack Hughes, a Conn Smythe worthy Eichel, 50 goal 100 point TT, Norris Fox ect.... so I'd take the 26 states team.

Also in what world does Berezin have a higher actual ceiling than Keller?

That is why the whole premise of the thread doesn't work that well people aren't really looking at the time stamp of 1996 as they are thinking Hart trophy Fedorov, 76 goal Mogilny and skipping over that Bure was injured.

One can literally say anything.

Berezin was a more dynamic player. I’m talking about peak play, not necessarily best stats over a full NHL season. Maybe his transition to the NHL wasn’t as fluent as some others for example. This was still the 90’s. I’d rather have the better hockey player in a matchup like this than the player who happened to have the better NHL career but according to the eye test isn’t as dominant.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Berezin was a more dynamic player.
Maybe more exciting to watch but good grief Keller has led his team in scoring 2 years straight at a PPG.

I’m talking about peak play, not necessarily best stats over a full NHL season. Maybe his transition to the NHL wasn’t as fluent as some others for example. This was still the 90’s. I’d rather have the better hockey player in a matchup like this than the player who happened to have the better NHL career but according to the eye test isn’t as dominant.
Berezin at the time was playing in germany and the next year he was 3rd in gaols and 4th in points on non playoff Leafs team.

Seriously this one isn't even close and was one of the main reasons I responded to your first post.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Which lineup is stronger?

Team Russia 1996 (best possible)

P. Bure - Fedorov - Mogilny
Kovalev - Larionov - Kamensky
Kozlov - Yashin - Berezin
Kovalenko - Zhamnov - V. Bure

Gonchar - Zubov
Zhitnik - Kasparaitis
Fetisov - Yushkevich

Khabibulin

Team USA 2026 (projected)

M. Tkachuk - Matthews - Eichel
Robertson - J. Hughes - Miller
Connor - Thompson - Keller
B. Tkachuk - Larkin - DeBrincat

Q. Hughes - McAvoy
Slavin - Fox
L. Hughes - Carlson

Hellebuyck

You did choose correctly that Feb/March 1996 would have been the strongest Russian team, but did not choose the best available players IMO. 1995-96 is exceptionally strong for Russia as you have a forward core of Fedorov, Mogilny, Zhamnov, Kamensky, and Bure all in their respective peaks at the same time, in front of Russia's best defence since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Malakhov in particular was a #1D level player who was in his prime years in the mid-90s, and put up elite seasons in '94, '95, and '98. The fact that he gelled with Zubov on the top pair and won Olympic gold in that role a few years earlier really highlights that fact.

Shtalenkov was also an exceptional goalie on international ice, putting up very strong numbers in the '98 best on best Olympics en route to Silver, and in 1992 as well while winning Gold.

My lines would be:

Kamensky - Fedorov - Mogilny
Khristich - Zhamnov - Bure
Kovalenko - Yashin - Kovalev
S. Kozlov - Nemchinov - Titov
Extra: Larionov

Zubov - Malakhov
Konstantinov - D. Mironov
Karpovtsev - Kravchuk

Shtalenkov
Khabibulin

While it is certainly razor close, I would take this team ahead of the 2026 US team.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Maybe more exciting to watch but good grief Keller has led his team in scoring 2 years straight at a PPG.

Berezin at the time was playing in germany and the next year he was 3rd in gaols and 4th in points on non playoff Leafs team.

Seriously this one isn't even close and was one of the main reasons I responded to your first post.
You totally missed my point

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You totally missed my point
No i didn't really, Berezin was what Pat Quinn would call a morning glory, if you watched him in the morning skate and practice he looked elite but that "look" simply didn't translate to actual games for any period of time.

Keller actually produces and heck he doesn't look all that bad either.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
No i didn't really, Berezin was what Pat Quinn would call a morning glory, if you watched him in the morning skate and practice he looked elite but that "look" simply didn't translate to actual games for any period of time.

Keller actually produces and heck he doesn't look all that bad either.
could also be Berezin’s game didn’t translate all that well to the nhl, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be a fit for a matchup like this or even dominate.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
Well if it's a best possible then we get a minimum 100 point Jack Hughes, a Conn Smythe worthy Eichel, 50 goal 100 point TT, Norris Fox ect.... so I'd take the 26 states team.

Also in what world does Berezin have a higher actual ceiling than Keller?

That is why the whole premise of the thread doesn't work that well people aren't really looking at the time stamp of 1996 as they are thinking Hart trophy Fedorov, 76 goal Mogilny and skipping over that Bure was injured.

One can literally say anything.
I agree it is easy to forget the age some of the ‘96 guys would have been but I think since you can’t predict what injuries might come about on the theoretical future team that it’s only fair to give Bure the same leeway for the sake of argument.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I agree it is easy to forget the age some of the ‘96 guys would have been but I think since you can’t predict what injuries might come about on the theoretical future team that it’s only fair to give Bure the same leeway for the sake of argument.
Sure but he was injured and we saw how his play was the next year as well so that's problematic.

The issue I have with these things is that many people will automatically think of the past player at his absolute best and not at the specific time period which was demonstrated up thread with Berezin over Keller.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
What ice surface and which refs (Europe or NHL rules)? With NHL rules, I think the US, but with Olympic rules, I think Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad