Team Russia 1996 (best possible) vs Team USA 2026 (projected)

Which lineup is stronger?

• Team Russia 1996

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Team USA 2026

Votes: 50 62.5%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Which lineup is stronger?

Team Russia 1996 (best possible)

P. Bure - Fedorov - Mogilny
Kovalev - Larionov - Kamensky
Kozlov - Yashin - Berezin
Kovalenko - Zhamnov - V. Bure

Gonchar - Zubov
Zhitnik - Kasparaitis
Fetisov - Yushkevich

Khabibulin

Team USA 2026 (projected)

M. Tkachuk - Matthews - Eichel
Robertson - J. Hughes - Miller
Connor - Thompson - Keller
B. Tkachuk - Larkin - DeBrincat

Q. Hughes - McAvoy
Slavin - Fox
L. Hughes - Carlson

Hellebuyck

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That's far from the best possible '96 Team Russia. Especially Konstantinov is a huge omission.
Exactly the guys was 4th in Norris voting that year.

as for the poll question hard to pick but I think the states is probably better.

Russia's top line played as a unit when they were younger and in a world where the Soviet bloc doesn't come down and that unit stayed together they probably would be considered as good or greater than the KLM line.

Will come back alter and vote if and when the actual best Russian team is presented, leaning states as of now though.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Russias top line is the best, but then US depth is way better

US defense is a lot better especially with Konstantinov omitted

Edge to US in goal also

Reactions: Elvis P

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Also Malakhov and Gusarov on D, also I'd say Titov and Nikolishin should be there too, over Bure-jr. and Berezin.
Malakhov and Gusarov were more merited of course, but Tverdovsky should probably be there over both at this point in terms of ability, 1996/97 was his big breakthrough season (Norris 10th) yet he was more than ready to take that place already in September.

Also Dmitri Mironov belongs in that consideration as the remaining guy, Yushkevich and Kasparaitis certainly don't.

So:
Gonchar - Konstantinov
Fetisov - Zubov
Tverdovsky - Mironov

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Malakhov and Gusarov were more merited of course, but Tverdovsky should probably be there over both at this point in terms of ability, 1996/97 was his big breakthrough season (Norris 10th) yet he was more than ready to take that place already in September.

Also Dmitri Mironov belongs in that consideration as the remaining guy, Yushkevich and Kasparaitis certainly don't.

So:
Gonchar - Konstantinov
Fetisov - Zubov
Tverdovsky - Mironov
I just somehow assumed here that the 1996 here means like the best possible 1996 World Cup roster, which was before the 1996/97 season.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It begs the question, do you go with Bure-Fedorov-Mogilny? Or do you keep Detroit's Russian 5 intact?
I'd go with the latter, which allows Bure to reunite with Kamensky from previous WCs. Mogilny to 3rd line to bolster depth. Bure-Fedorov-Mogilny could be the top PP.
D is based mostly on previous WC/OG pairings

Kozlov-Larionov-Fedorov
Kamensky-Zhamnov-Bure
Mogilny-Yashin-Kovalev
Titov-Nemchinov-Kovalenko

Konstantinov-Fetisov
Malakhov-Kasparaitis
Zubov-Gusarov
Zhitnik-Yushkevich

Khabibulin
Shtalenkov

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I just somehow assumed here that the 1996 here means like the best possible 1996 World Cup roster, which was before the 1996/97 season.
At the time he was mostly in the 3rd pair, so if it's still Mikhailov coaching I'm sure he'll take Yushkevich and Kasparaitis first.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Too close to call imo. But I’d take the Russians as a coach, just more fun with the skill sets of the Russian legends.

Fedorov > Matthews
Bure > M. Tkachuk
Mogilny ~ Eichel
Larionov ~ Hughes
Kamensky ~ Miller
Kovalev > Robertson
Yashin ~ Thompson
Kozlov ~ Connor
Berezin ~ Keller
Zhamnov > Larkin
Kovalenko < B. Tkachuk
V. Bure < DeBrincat

Edge to the Russians at forward at least

Last edited:

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
+1 for this not being Russia's best team.

You can't just look at names when it comes to Russian teams. The 98 Team was more cohesive despite not having guys like Mogilny then you have the 2010 Team for raw skill. The 2010 team's only issue really was facing a Canadian Team that frankly could be argued as the greatest international team ever assembled (yes) on home soil. And in that Quarterfinal drubbing the Canadians got out in front early and the Russians simply couldn't rebound so the lopsided score doesn't exactly discredit the team overall.

If you compare 2010 and 1998 to 1996 I don't think you can legitimately argue the 96 Team being better and frankly look at their results in the 96 tournament going 2-3....

You also have the 2006 Team to contend with as well which in my opinion obviously shares some resemblance to the 2010 Team but you have younger versions of the top players so really it's just switching Kovalev and a few guys on defense.

Anywho, the 2010 or 1998 Team against the best American Team? It'd have to be a 7 game series.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I’d have the Russian’s top 3 lines like this:

Kozlov - Larionov - Fedorov
Bure - Yashin - Mogilny
Kovalev - Zhamnov - Kamensky

Last edited:
Reactions: WingsFan95

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
There are very few teams that beats that 96 russian team. Except for Canadian teams and other Soviet teams there are only a handful, if any. Sweden 2000-2006 maybe.

Current US team is not one of em.

Edit: To clarify If the beat Soviet 96 team would be on and not the one in OP.

Edit2: Slava Ukraine

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If it was still ussr Sandis Ozolinch could have been on the team.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It begs the question, do you go with Bure-Fedorov-Mogilny? Or do you keep Detroit's Russian 5 intact?
I'd go with the latter, which allows Bure to reunite with Kamensky from previous WCs. Mogilny to 3rd line to bolster depth. Bure-Fedorov-Mogilny could be the top PP.
D is based mostly on previous WC/OG pairings

Kozlov-Larionov-Fedorov
Kamensky-Zhamnov-Bure
Mogilny-Yashin-Kovalev
Titov-Nemchinov-Kovalenko
There are very few teams that beats that 96 russian team. Except for Canadian teams and other Soviet teams there are only a handful, if any. Sweden 2000-2006 maybe.

Konstantinov-Fetisov
Malakhov-Kasparaitis
Zubov-Gusarov
Zhitnik-Yushkevich

Khabibulin
Shtalenkov
This is probably the best way to manage and coach this team and get the most out of 2 older guys.

I think that you are really underestimating the States team who have the advantage on the back end and a really good group of forwards as well.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Too close to call imo. But I’d take the Russians as a coach, just more fun with the skill sets of the Russian legends.

Fedorov > Matthews
Bure > M. Tkachuk
Mogilny ~ Eichel
Larionov ~ Hughes
Kamensky ~ Miller
Kovalev > Robertson
Yashin ~ Thompson
Kozlov ~ Connor
Berezin ~ Keller
Zhamnov > Larkin
Kovalenko < B. Tkachuk
V. Bure < DeBrincat

Edge to the Russians at forward at least
I'm sorry but this is comparing the States team in 26 to the Russian team in 96, some of those Russian guys were old and really young and some like Berizin were never better than Keller.

I'll use your template and then add comments.

Fedorov better than Matthews

Sure maybe by a smidge but it's basically a wash.

Bure better than M Tkachuk

Nope as Bure was playing through lingering injuries of course wehn the snapshot of the 96 russian team is would help.

Mogilny wash with Eichel

Mogilny actually had his second best season ever in 95-96 and that's with bure only playing 15 games so advantage Russia by a bit.

Kamensky eqauls Miller

Sure it's close as Miller will be 2 years older in 26 and Kamansky was at the top of his game in 95-95

Kovalev > Robertson

Kovalev was coming off his best season of 58 points and was 22, even if you want to give him a bump for playing in the Russian system it's at best a wash with Robertson.

Kozlov ~ Connor

Sure I'll buy that one Connor looks abysmal without the puck at times.

Larionov ~ Hughes

I love Larionov as an all time player but he is 35 and Hughes will be 24 this is a huge + for the states.

Yashin ~ Thompson

This is another reach here for you although TT does need to prove he is past his injury.

Berezin ~ Keller

Really Berezin was never that good and Keller is much better.

Zhamnov > Larkin

Zhamnov was starting to break down and Larkin brings more to his game than just points.

Last 2 guys states wins easily and Russia would be better to have better 2 way guys there anyway.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I'm sorry but this is comparing the States team in 26 to the Russian team in 96, some of those Russian guys were old and really young and some like Berizin were never better than Keller.

I'll use your template and then add comments.

Fedorov better than Matthews

Sure maybe by a smidge but it's basically a wash.

Bure better than M Tkachuk

Nope as Bure was playing through lingering injuries of course wehn the snapshot of the 96 russian team is would help.

Mogilny wash with Eichel

Mogilny actually had his second best season ever in 95-96 and that's with bure only playing 15 games so advantage Russia by a bit.

Kamensky eqauls Miller

Sure it's close as Miller will be 2 years older in 26 and Kamansky was at the top of his game in 95-95

Kovalev > Robertson

Kovalev was coming off his best season of 58 points and was 22, even if you want to give him a bump for playing in the Russian system it's at best a wash with Robertson.

Kozlov ~ Connor

Sure I'll buy that one Connor looks abysmal without the puck at times.

Larionov ~ Hughes

I love Larionov as an all time player but he is 35 and Hughes will be 24 this is a huge + for the states.

Yashin ~ Thompson

This is another reach here for you although TT does need to prove he is past his injury.

Berezin ~ Keller

Really Berezin was never that good and Keller is much better.

Zhamnov > Larkin

Zhamnov was starting to break down and Larkin brings more to his game than just points.

Last 2 guys states wins easily and Russia would be better to have better 2 way guys there anyway.

I interpreted the question as “best possible” where Bure’s injury shouldn’t be a factor. I get some of your other takes concerning age however I think you’re downplaying the Russians in general. Yashin and Zhamnov were both star players at their peak, as late as 98 (I think) Yashin was top 10 in scoring. Berezin had a higher ceiling than Keller. Mogilny had a higher peak than what Eichel has shown (even though I put a ~ between them for the sake of this comparison), I get Larionov was old but as a member of “the Russian 5”, had they been played they way with Konstantinov on the back end, he was still really effective at this age. This is a Russian team of legends, guys like Thompson, Eichel, Robertson and Hughes simply haven’t proven enough.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I interpreted the question as “best possible” where Bure’s injury shouldn’t be a factor. I get some of your other takes concerning age however I think you’re downplaying the Russians in general. Yashin and Zhamnov were both star players at their peak, as late as 98 (I think) Yashin was top 10 in scoring. Berezin had a higher ceiling than Keller. Mogilny had a higher peak than what Eichel has shown (even though I put a ~ between them for the sake of this comparison), I get Larionov was old but as a member of “the Russian 5”, had they been played they way with Konstantinov on the back end, he was still really effective at this age. This is a Russian team of legends, guys like Thompson, Eichel, Robertson and Hughes simply haven’t proven enough.
Well if it's a best possible then we get a minimum 100 point Jack Hughes, a Conn Smythe worthy Eichel, 50 goal 100 point TT, Norris Fox ect.... so I'd take the 26 states team.

Also in what world does Berezin have a higher actual ceiling than Keller?

That is why the whole premise of the thread doesn't work that well people aren't really looking at the time stamp of 1996 as they are thinking Hart trophy Fedorov, 76 goal Mogilny and skipping over that Bure was injured.

One can literally say anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad