News Article: Team Rankings#30

WJC_Fan

Jun 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Surprised that no one has commented about this. Not shocked to see us slip down the rankings since we are clearly in win-now mode. It is disconcerting to see the Blackhawks ranked so much higher then us, meaning not only are they better but more help is on the way.

One playoff series win in three years and the worst prospects in the NHL does not scream "great job!" to me by upper management.

Chippewa

Feb 19, 2012
houseboat, venezuela
Hey, this is the Armstrong way.

I don't see us going anywhere unless a serious change is made in the direction of this team. We don't have nearly enough game breaking skill to compete with the best.

Unfortunately, when we bottomed out in the middle of the 2000's, we didn't stay for a full rebuild. We even flubbed on the one #1 pick we had. So we didn't acquire nearly as much top end skill that other teams (Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago) did. I don't really see a way out of this mess. :(

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Considering HF has Binnington ahead of Rattie, Vannelli ahead of Schmaltz, and Allen, Jaskin, and Rattie all outside of the top 50, not even on the near miss list, I wouldn't put any stock into their rankings.

WJC_Fan

Jun 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Considering HF has Binnington ahead of Rattie, Vannelli ahead of Schmaltz, and Allen, Jaskin, and Rattie all outside of the top 50, not even on the near miss list, I wouldn't put any stock into their rankings.

True, but I do agree that I do not see any blue chip prospects on our list other than maybe Allen.

I would trade our listed top-five prospects for all of the teams' ranked 21-30 except for maybe Colorado

Yoko Ono*

This is my main problem with Armstrong he guts the organization to meet his agenda which I am confused as to what that is, it sure isn't to win a Cup. This team is far from the remaining teams in the west.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
While its easy to blame Army, or Hitch...at what point do we blame the players for not showing up? If Miller would have showed up, and played the way he is capable of, we would probably still be playing. If our top guys would have played like top guys, we might still be playing.

And for dogging on the Johnson pick with the number 1 pick, if I recall correctly, everybody had him going number 1, it just didnt work out for us. Maybe it would have if the golf cart incident never did. Maybe if we wasnt so desperate for players, we could have played him in Peoria for a year, maybe it would have worked out. The extra time did wonders for Petro.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
While its easy to blame Army, or Hitch...at what point do we blame the players for not showing up? If Miller would have showed up, and played the way he is capable of, we would probably still be playing. If our top guys would have played like top guys, we might still be playing.

And for dogging on the Johnson pick with the number 1 pick, if I recall correctly, everybody had him going number 1, it just didnt work out for us. Maybe it would have if the golf cart incident never did. Maybe if we wasnt so desperate for players, we could have played him in Peoria for a year, maybe it would have worked out. The extra time did wonders for Petro.

That's a lot of "maybe's" and "if's" :)

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
That's a lot of "maybe's" and "if's" :)

I agree, but thats what it takes. What "if" crawford lets in 2 more goals in separate OTs, or what if Toews doesn't come to life? They did, and we didnt. I guess the point I was trying to make but didnt is that Army could have went out and aquired Toews, Crosby, Malkin and Perry, but if they dont perform here, I dont see how its his fault.

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
I will put my trust in Bill Armstrong as he seems to have done pretty well so far. I think prospects like Parayko and Schmaltz might be a bit underrated around HF.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
When you are in a "Win Now" mode, and that window does not stay open very long, usually your prospects pipeline takes a hit. Where would you rather be where the Blues sit now, or where they were 4 years ago? :amazed:

Of course if this open window goes up in flames, rest assured this will cost GM Armstrong and Coach Hitchcock their Jobs.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
When you are in a "Win Now" mode, and that window does not stay open very long, usually your prospects pipeline takes a hit. Where would you rather be where the Blues sit now, or where they were 4 years ago? :amazed:

Of course if this open window goes up in flames, rest assured this will cost GM Armstrong and Coach Hitchcock their Jobs.

Agreed....I think anything less than a WCF appearance in 2014-15 will be a complete failure.

member 83027

I agree, but thats what it takes. What "if" crawford lets in 2 more goals in separate OTs, or what if Toews doesn't come to life? They did, and we didnt. I guess the point I was trying to make but didnt is that Army could have went out and aquired Toews, Crosby, Malkin and Perry, but if they dont perform here, I dont see how its his fault.

Armstrong had a cupboard full of assets and what has he done to help the Blues advance in the playoffs?

That's a cop out to say the players didn't perform. It's the GMs job to get the right mix of players to win.

It starts with Armstrong and ends with Armstrong.

He had plenty of assets to work with and the ones he gave up what do we currently have to show for it?

A soft as butter defensive core; lack of scoring and no proven goalie under contract.

Yep; they should give Army a 10 year extension and a 100% raise.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I don't think that this is that big a deal. Yeah, we lack top-end talent... mostly because our top-end talent (Schwartz, Tarasenko) made it to the NHL so quickly. So that really doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that we've completely failed to address organization needs at center, and to a lesser extent, left defense.

STLBlueshistory said:
Armstrong had a cupboard full of assets and what has he done to help the Blues advance in the playoffs?

I wouldn't describe the cupboard as "full" at any time during Armstrong's tenure, which has coincided mostly with the Blues' contending period.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't think that this is that big a deal. Yeah, we lack top-end talent... mostly because our top-end talent (Schwartz, Tarasenko) made it to the NHL so quickly. So that really doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that we've completely failed to address organization needs at center, and to a lesser extent, left defense.

Pretty much this right here.

How this team went this long without drafting a decent center is beyond me. I'm more of a firm believer in drafting team needs over the best player approach.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Exactly.

Blues keep picking wingers over Centers and that baffles me, and the cupboard is empty because of it, makes no sense at all.
That's the way the draft goes though. You take the best player available. When you start picking for need, you're going to make mistakes. I'm not saying we don't need centers, but I am saying you shouldn't reach to take a center. Now if you trade up or down and put yourself in a position where the center is the BPA then that's different story.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

That's a cop out to say the players didn't perform. It's the GMs job to get the right mix of players to win.

It starts with Armstrong and ends with Armstrong.

He had plenty of assets to work with and the ones he gave up what do we currently have to show for it?

A soft as butter defensive core; lack of scoring and no proven goalie under contract.

Yep; they should give Army a 10 year extension and a 100% raise.

So the players aren't responsible for their own performances on the ice? It's Armstrong's fault that TJ Oshie couldn't hit a wide open net in game five? Was he supposed to know that Miller was going to give up a goal so weak in game three that my 11 year old brother would have stopped it? How about the fact that the coaching staff refused to adjust. That Armstrong's fault too? Armstrong didn't address the biggest need. Nobody can deny that. But to act like this is entirely on him is foolish. This team had a 2-0 lead on the Hawks. The players had one job: drop the hammer and bury the Hawks. They didn't, but that's out of the GM's control. How exactly did he have plenty of assets to work with? All of our top prospects made the NHL quickly. He inherited a team with a lot NHL talent, but not with a lot of prospects.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So the players aren't responsible for their own performances on the ice? It's Armstrong's fault that TJ Oshie couldn't hit a wide open net in game five? Was he supposed to know that Miller was going to give up a goal so weak in game three that my 11 year old brother would have stopped it? How about the fact that the coaching staff refused to adjust. That Armstrong's fault too? Armstrong didn't address the biggest need. Nobody can deny that. But to act like this is entirely on him is foolish. This team had a 2-0 lead on the Hawks. The players had one job: drop the hammer and bury the Hawks. They didn't, but that's out of the GM's control. How exactly did he have plenty of assets to work with? All of our top prospects made the NHL quickly. He inherited a team with a lot NHL talent, but not with a lot of prospects.

Your post is spot on with how I felt after this year.

As for the bolded, I feel he did try to address it, but the players weren't there for him to get.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I agree the perfect fit wasn't out there, but I feel there was some help to be had. It didn't have to be a star that we got.

Yep. Grabovski> Roy, but without being in army's mind. I really don't know what was possible and what wasn't. At the deadline Legwand was available, Nashville wanted a center prospect back, so no luck there

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I was talking more about guys like Vanek and Gaborik. It didn't necessarily have to be a center, even though that was preferred.

Given the injuries we had, Absolutely. I would think army thought we were sitting pretty till 2 weeks before the playoffs. Wingers weren't high on his list most likely.

member 83027

So the players aren't responsible for their own performances on the ice?

Nobody said that now did they?

It's Armstrong's fault that TJ Oshie couldn't hit a wide open net in game five?

You really should watch that play again. Who was the guy who scored the goal in that same game that 98% of the rest of the league would not have scored?

Was he supposed to know that Miller was going to give up a goal so weak in game three that my 11 year old brother would have stopped it?

Yep. A GM goes out and makes a trade. It doesn't work because the guy doesn't perform. The GM is not accountable whatsoever.

How about the fact that the coaching staff refused to adjust. That Armstrong's fault too?

If the coaching staff didn't adjust why bring back the 3 guys who have been here the longest? Whose decision is that?

Armstrong didn't address the biggest need. Nobody can deny that.

Why deny it? Just throw it on the players.

But to act like this is entirely on him is foolish.

Again; where did anyone say it was entirely on him? What are you doing? Deflecting all blame from him.

This team had a 2-0 lead on the Hawks. The players had one job: drop the hammer and bury the Hawks. They didn't, but that's out of the GM's control.

See a pattern here? 2 years in a row losing 4 staright after being up 2-0. What did the GM do the first time? How many times does it take something like that to happen to have the GM make an adjustment?

How exactly did he have plenty of assets to work with? All of our top prospects made the NHL quickly. He inherited a team with a lot NHL talent, but not with a lot of prospects.

He had plenty of prospects, all their 1st round picks, traded veterans for extra picks.

Picks are assets. He has traded 3 first rd picks. What do we still have to show for them? Jay Bo.

Poor asset managament from the GM.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Assets will continue to be traded away to add what is missing on the roster to improve the team so to speak, while our current core has that window to win the cup. It is what it is. Cup or Bust. I've been thru a few of these. Like the ounger generation I hope Armsrtong for once and for all comes thru with adding to what's missing this summer. And no ex Stars players. Thank you Doug Armstrong.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Nobody said that now did they?
Actually, you did exactly that. You said that placing blame on the players is a cop out.
You really should watch that play again. Who was the guy who scored the goal in that same game that 98% of the rest of the league would not have scored?
Scoring a highlight reel goal does not excuse missing an absolute gift. He absolutely has to score that. You rarely get chances that wide open in the playoffs, and if you want to win you better put them away.
Yep. A GM goes out and makes a trade. It doesn't work because the guy doesn't perform. The GM is not accountable whatsoever.
What exactly is your point here? Armstrong has gotten lambasted on these boards for that trade. I can at least commend him for attempting to make the team better instead of sitting on his hands and doing nothing.
If the coaching staff didn't adjust why bring back the 3 guys who have been here the longest? Whose decision is that?
So you would fire Ken Hitchcock after last year's playoffs? There's not a smart GM in the league that would have done that. In case you missed it, Gary Angew is gone. Care to guess who ran the powerplay? Hitch has been put on notice. He's on a one year deal, and this is make or break for him. Who exactly would you replace him with?
Why deny it? Just throw it on the players.
The players are just as accountable as the coaching staff and management. For all our complaining about Armstrong, this team was up 2-0 on the Hawks. If you're good enough to win the first 2 games, you are good enough to win 2 of the next four. They players deserve to get called on their inability to go for the kill.
Again; where did anyone say it was entirely on him? What are you doing? Deflecting all blame from him.
You did by acting like the players and coaching staff weren't responsible at all, and that it was entirely on Armstrong because, in some apparently alternate universe, the GM controls every single little thing that happens.
See a pattern here? 2 years in a row losing 4 staright after being up 2-0. What did the GM do the first time? How many times does it take something like that to happen to have the GM make an adjustment?
Have you even bothered to read this board before you make ridiculous posts? Armstrong has gotten absolutely raked over the coals on this very point since we got knocked out.
He had plenty of prospects, all their 1st round picks, traded veterans for extra picks.

Picks are assets. He has traded 3 first rd picks. What do we still have to show for them? Jay Bo.

Poor asset managament from the GM.
Do you expect every single move a GM makes to work out? That's totally unrealistic. He didn't have plenty of prospects. Our pool has never been that deep. We've had some top notch prospects, and they don't stay prospects long because we promote them quickly. Complaining about the first in the EJ trade is pointless. We still got Rattie out of that draft, and he was a first round talent. Anybody who complains about the Bouwmeester trade is clueless. He's given up exactly one first round pick that people can complain about. That's not some travesty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad