Team of the Decade: 3rd Pair LD

3rd Pair LD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's been 17 years since a Rangers defenseman—besides Yandle—scored 47 points. He also scored 11 points in 19 playoff games during their run to the ECF Game 7. All of that while getting less ice-time than Kevin Klein.

The guy has scored 50+ points 5 times, and is on pace to do so for a 6th. He's an elite offensive-defenseman, no one overrated him (except maybe Machinehead when he was paired with McIlrath lirl).

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
It's been 17 years since a Rangers defenseman—besides Yandle—scored 47 points. He also scored 11 points in 19 playoff games during their run to the ECF Game 7. All of that while getting less ice-time than Kevin Klein.

The guy has scored 50+ points 5 times, and is on pace to do so for a 6th. He's an elite offensive-defenseman, no one overrated him (except maybe Machinehead when he was paired with McIlrath lirl).

Are we voting on team of the decade or who was the best player? In that case Panerin should be on the team. He clearly has the most potential and ability of any LW.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Are we voting on team of the decade or who was the best player? In that case Panerin should be on the team. He clearly has the most potential and ability of any LW.
Well it's between him and Brady Skjei. Skjei has the tenure, but like I said, he's really only had one good season.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
That's just not true at all.

Offensive defensemen are unfairly criticized on this site for the most part.

Not here on HF NYR. Not when they're the shiny new toy. This place was still drooling to sign EK when it was clear how he was aging. Didn't matter to us bc he still had points. It was frothing at the mouth over the deal we legit got for Shattenkirk bc this place thought he would still be good even when the fanbases that had just watched him were all pointing out huge holes in his game. It's a theme around here. We do it with forwards too. Everything here is about points and then we're shocked when these guys turn out to be car crashes. They don't do anything good when they're not scoring. They often are a detriment otherwise.

Even after we see Yandle flame out, this place is still so desperately in love with point producing dmen that it's voting for him in droves. I WISH AV would have played him the way Skjei has been played. He'd have had more points and we'd have despised him for being an absolute mess defensively because he'd have been in over his head just like Skjei.

I think Leetch spoiled people and it's incredibly difficult to use him as the measuring stick.

Likewise, I suspect there's a good possibility we see a similar dilemma in the post-Lundqvist years.

I never watched Leetch.

Roszival, Tyutin, Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McD, Stralman. These are top 4 guys we've had that I've seen. Comparing them to Yandle and Yandle was way below their level when he was here. Roszi was despised here despite being way better when he was here then Yandle was when he was here. But Yandle put up points. The perception was that Roszi came up short in the points department so there were frequent discussions where people hated Roszi. Then there were talks about how much of an unfair whipping boy he was.

Skjei is actually in a similar boat. The perception is he is coming up well short of where we wanted him and he isn't putting up a lot of points so this place hates him (Even though he's been asked to play WAY above his ability)

Last edited:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
With a separated shoulder too

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Truncated for effect

Not here on HF NYR. Not when they're the shiny new toy. . It's a theme around here. ...Everything here is about points and then we're shocked

Even after we see Yandle flame out, this place is still so desperately in love with point producing...

Roszival, Tyutin, Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McD, Stralman. These are top 4 guys ...Comparing them to Yandle and Yandle was way below their level when he was here. Roszi was despised here But Yandle put up points....

left in tact

When did Yandle flame out? He’d be 3rd on our team in points rn.

These boards start to remind me of the following skit:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Truncated for effect

left in tact

These boards start to remind me of the following skit:

Woo sah.

Idk if anyone heard Ty Montgomery on WFAN yesterday but Woo-sah...that's all I can say.

I'm not even trying to say "Oh we shouldn't consider points important" bc you just KNOW someone will strawman their way into pretending that I said that. Just saying there's a lot more to hockey especially as a dman.

Give me the kid who produced some points and also had to cover the top assignments for a couple hundred more games over the guy who had no effect or a negative effect on games when he wasn't scoring. Which was most games since he only scored about half the time. Some points came during losses which makes him even more useless.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Woo sah.

Idk if anyone heard Ty Montgomery on WFAN yesterday but Woo-sah...that's all I can say.

I'm not even trying to say "Oh we shouldn't consider points important" bc you just KNOW someone will strawman their way into pretending that I said that. Just saying there's a lot more to hockey especially as a dman.

Give me the kid who produced some points and also had to cover the top assignments for a couple hundred more games over the guy who had no effect or a negative effect on games when he wasn't scoring. Which was most games since he only scored about half the time. Some points came during losses which makes him even more useless.

Yeah...but them points though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad